Sprouting Kidney Beans

Am I getting this right? I have a large bowl. I have a bag of goya brown kidney beans. Next, I fill the bowl up, getting the beans wet. Right after, I drain then and leave them, rinsing and draining every 8 hours for the next 2.5 days? Is this correct. Ugh, this does not seem to be working for me, all that I want is my favorite food source (kidney beans).

- edward

Comments

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

It sounds like you are missing the soaking phase. The links below have step by step what you’ll need to do, and when soaking have at least double the amount of water because foods expand when soaked. I tried sprouting my beans before but they never turned out so I just sprout what does work (grains like Quinoa—excellent source of protein). Here are a few links with info that might be helpful on sprouting beans and other foods… http://www.hippocratesgreenhouse.com/ http://www.living-foods.com/articles/largebeans… http://www.living-foods.com/articles/sprouting….

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

larger beans are rough on the stomach. Hmmm I would try growing some mung bean sprouts, eating fresh peas, or whenever you can fresh fava beans. Fava beans are high in calories and in protein so I think they are awesome.

• I know this is resurrecting an old thread and I apologise.

I just wanted to give some pointers on sprouting – first off, this is the easiest thing to do. You do need to soak the seed first – give about 2 hours for all small seeds (mustards, quinoa, radish, alfalfa, etc) and overnight for all beans (including chickpeas). Drain off the water, rinse thoroughly and then place in the container you are using for sprouting. Rinse twice daily until the sprouts are the size you want for eating.

I usually let the seedlings grow to first true leaf stage before eating, though generally sprouts are eaten much younger than this.

There are a number of beans that are good for sprouting, and I would go so far as to say that most any bean can be used for this purpose if you like the taste of them. I would however suggest caution with red kidney beans – they are toxic raw and even when cooked the cooking water is usually changed at least once to get rid of toxins released in the cooking process.

• Rob07 – quick question, the info u’ve provided was easy and straight forward so thanx for that :) ... but when ur in the sprouting stage .. do u add water? (if so how much) or is it just sitting in a bowl. and do u need a special bowl or will any bowl do?

• Magdi, I water the sprouts twice a day right up until I use them. I usually grow batches and refrigerate them for up to a week to use in salads – it is the only way I can maintain variety as I sprout two types of bean and about six other types of seed in rotation.

You can use something as simple as a wide mouth bottle with muslin/gauze/cheesecloth secured over the open end or you can buy a sprouter (I have a small one I brought with me from South Africa years ago). The sprouter makes things easier as the water drains off the seeds properly – with a bottle it can take a bit of practice to get the knack of draining off the water – you don’t want the seeds or sprouts sitting in water as they can go stagnant or develop bacterial/fungal growths that are not pleasant.