Soaking Nuts

I’m new to soaking nuts before eating them. From what I have read so far, it seems more nutrition is available if the nuts are soaked. I’ve started mainly soaking walnuts… I tried drinking the water that the walnuts were soaking in and it was not the best tasting thing. Is it ok (healthwise) to drink the soaking water? Any wisdom? Any tips? :-)

Comments

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

No. Don’t drink the soak water because it’s filled with the very things you’re trying to avoid by soaking them.

Cheers! Kristen Suzanne

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Don’t drink the water. Germinating/soaking removes enzyme inhibitors – tannin & phytic acid – and it does so by soaking. The enzyme inhibitors it what makes nuts/seeds more difficult to digest.

I posted about germinating months ago. Here is a copy-paste:

Germinating removes the enzyme inhibitors which makes it easier to digest. Nuts can be soaked up to 48 hours. Seeds and grains can be soaked up to 24 hours. It seems that most people soak for about 6-12 hours. I learned you get the most nutrients when you soak up to 24/48 hours.

During soaking (or germination), you change the water 3-4 times a day. I change it twice a day because of time. The warmer the water (not too warm) and the more water you add initially, the faster they germinate.

When changing water, I rinse them well. If it smells funny, that

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

WOW!!! Thank you for the useful info! :-)

• Is it normal for the water to change color? The first time I soaked nuts it seemed the water looked somewhat gray when I rinsed them.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

curlysparkle: That sounds pretty normal – just be sure not to use/drink that water!

• Kandace,

No worries on drinking the water! I was like.. eww…. is that what I’m eating! Scary! :)

germin8~ Does it matter if one uses tap or filtered water to soak the nuts?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

It’s best to use filtered water… since that is what is being absorbed in the nuts/seeds. I use filtered for soaking and storing… but I rinse with tap.

• SimonSimon Raw Newbie

Wow!

I never considered drinking the soaking water from nuts. Now that I’ve read this thread and looked up some more information, I’m glad that I didn’t!! =)

cheers Simon

Thank you again germin8… no more drinking soaking water, use filtered water… :-)