mandolin

I would love to make the yam chips, and I’m in the market for a good mandolin. Does anyone have any recommendations. I bought one from Linens & Things and returned it because it didn’t slice very thin at all…

Comments

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I use the Matfer Mandoline 2000s (available on amazon). It’s wonderful!

Kristen Suzanne 

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Believe it or not… I use a potato peeler to make my yam chips. It’s not quite at “neat” as the mandolin, I’m sure… but, I also have a food processor, and I am looking to buy the thinnest slicer they have instead of getting a mandolin. Then, I hope that would work.

• Whyen I made the yam chips I used a cheese slicer. I think a vegetable peeler would slice even thinner though.

• I have a mandolin and every time I use it, I cut myself. I’ve given up on it and use my food processor now instead. So much for “off the grid”.

My yam chips turned out great using the food processor, and it took about 3 minutes to cut a whole batch, including cleaning the machine. I sprayed the oil on with a Misto, and my Excalibur got them dry and crispy in less than 24 hours.

• I have a kitchen aid mandolin with adjustable dial for the blade, from 1/32 to 5/16, I love it!