Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Green Cleaning

kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

Anyone know good tricks for cleaning your food processor? I find it’s hard to get the blade on mine clean. Also.. any tips for the shower? I know of the one using lemon rinds but I tried that once and it didn’t really work.

Comments

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

I use an old tooth brush on the blades of my food processor\blender.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

How many lemons did you use? Ani’s book calls for 12 lemons. I used it, and it worked for me. It could have used a second clean, but I didn’t have enough lemons. But, if I kept it up (which I don’t) it would be okay. Do you have soap scum? I don’t have that, because I use glycerin soap… and I squeegy after every shower to reduce the humidity (I loved the days I lived in the desert when I didn’t have to worry about humidity and stuff ‘growing”). If you do have soap scum, maybe it won’t work for you. I’m curious.

I don’t have any problems cleaning my food processor. I always clean it after I use it… so there’s less or no scrubbing needed. Which blade(s) are you wondering about? My julienne-ing disk blade takes slightly more work though, because stuff gets stuck there. I guess disk blades are harder to clean. Toothbrush sounds like a great idea.

• Not sure how it would work on metal blades, but my juicer parts got disgusting-looking and I soaked them in denture cleaner for a day. They came out gleaming!

• I like to use baking soda to clean my tub/shower. I sprinkle it and let is sit a while and use a paste for the walls, works for me.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i clean my stovetop with a lemon, slice in half and squeeze the juice all over it, wait about 5-10 mins. and then scrub with a sponge. (i’d never have to do this if my boyfriend would go raw!) this works as well as the toxic stuff, and smells great! haven’t tried it on my bathtub, but it seems like it would work, i think the key is to let it sit so the citric acid goes to work.

• Denture cleaner! Who would have thought…?!? Thanks for the tip! My juicer parts are really disgusting-looking and for the life of me I couldn’t get them clean!!! THANKS, jenoz! :)

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

thanks for all the ideas.. on a related note: I started composting last spring. I just keep a big pile outside. With winter coming, what do I do?

• I use lots of baking soda and vinegars to clean as well.

I just compost as normal during the winter. It takes longer to break down, but I just keep adding and turning the pile. But I also have it in a plastic compost container. You can cover your pile loosely, it will help keep in some warmth and moisture, but I know many people who just leave them as usual.

As part of green cleaning, we use a motorless push mower. You know, the really old time kind with the round cylinder blades? No gas, electricity, anything. =)

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Some tricks on cleaning your food processor:

1. After you take out whatever you made in the FP, put the blade back in and pulse it a few times. This will take off most of what was left on the blade… no need to scrape the stuff off blade.

2. After you do the above, scrape out what came off the blades. Fill container with warm water (fill the container about half full) and a few drops of soap and pulse a few times. This should clean it pretty well.

Y’all thankx for the idea of using lemons for cleaning.

• A good shower cleaner is a spray bottle full of vinegar/water and about 20 or so drops of your favorite essential oil. You can even use it as a daily spray after each shower and it won’t smell like vinegar because of the oil and the fact that vinegar loses its scent once dry.

For your food processor you could just soak the parts in water and baking soda. The baking soda dissolves or at least loosens most of the crud stuck in the crevices etc.