Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Green Smoothies...Help!

I know I should drink more green smoothie type drinks but the last one I had was just too much!! Food is to be enjoyed and I didn’t really enjoy that one. What are some practical AWESOME gotta-have-more tasting green smoothies recipes you guys have???? I’m looking for smoothies that are different besides the typical banana and then add your greens drink. I want it to taste really good! If it’s going to be part of my life it has to be nice tasting.

Comments

• StefunkStefunk Raw Newbie

Okay, get ready! Mine has a lot of ingredients. Actually I vary based on what I have on hand but I’ll give you the jist of it.

2 dates, soaked 1 T. Goji berries, soaked (throw in soak water to help things move) 3 handfuls spinach 1 handful kale (I freeze both of these and they blend smoother) 1/4-1/2 of a fresh pineapple 5 strawberries 2 handfuls frozen cranberries 2 frozen peaches (or about 1 c. frozen) 1 T. ground flax seed 1 T. pumpkin seeds 1/4 t. spirulina If it’s growing-a few mint leaves, parsley, and basil

Because the spinach, kale, cranberries, and peaches are frozen it blends up smooth and chilled. I can’t get enough!

Hope this helps! It’s made me hungry. I’m going to go make one!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

sometimes simple just tastes great…spinach and orange juice, believe me you can’t taste the spinach. You can add a pinch of salt and a couple of dates to make it taste like something out of a kid’s lunchbox!

• Try the green and gone smoothie recipe on this site. I don’t like greens normally in a smoothie but this one really tastes great. I use the dinosaur kale and make sure to devein the leaves so you don’t get a stringy smoothie. I didn’t have mint so I added cilantro and with a little bit of ginger root it is delicious! I drink one just about everyday. Even my cooked partner loves it.

• Thanks loads and loads! You guys are so helpful! Not just that, but very inspiring!

• coconut water and blueberries and any type of greens..add some mango..some honey…YummY

• Of course your green smoothies have got to be nice!

I use only 100 grams of greens to 500-600 grams of fruit. I know it’s not enough, but it’s bound to be better than nothing. :-D

I use 2 kinds of fruit, one of them always frozen to get a cool drink.

Some greens just aren’t nice blended – if using lettuce/salad/romaine I always use another green too, otherwise it’ll make me gag.

Don’t start out with strong tasting kale just because it’s got many nutrients – try carrot tops, spinach and other mild greens.

And if it tastes horrible, don’t despair – pour it somewhere in your garden. My little corner with blueberry bushes gets my badtasting smoothies/blended salads. G

• I just posted this one yesterday – Tropical Suburban Summer Smoothie. Tropical because of the fruit. Suburban Summer, because the blended greens give the refreshing smell of freshly cut grass in the summer in the

• Thanks guys! You all are so supportive!

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

I would go with spinach. It is one of the most mild tasting green which makes ideal for smoothies. I have tried kale and collards but they seem to overpower the fruit, nut I will tell you that spinach actually enhances the taste of the fruit.

• I use about 2 cups of spinach, 1 banana, and a cup of strawberries. Other times i do a spinach smoothie with orange juice and you cannot taste the spinach.

• /threadjack/

I’m a little discouraged, because I find the only green I like in my smoothie is spinach—which I lOVE. I tried kale and collard and the taste of the green was soooooo strong and it felt heavy to me. I have an old blender, so maybe that’s the problem? In my spinach smoothies, I usually do a banana and another fruit. Seems like with the other greens, I’d want to use more fruit…dunno. I’m happy to just stick with spinach, I guess, b/c I eat alot of collards, other lettuces as wraps and rolls, etc. Just been wondering about this :) Thanks!

**just read humanimal’s post. gotcha ;) I’ll do that.

• That’s awesome! I think it’s great to keep the green smoothie thing vibed up and keep on getting great tasting recipes. You all are so helpful!

• penfoldpenfold Raw Newbie

I find that pineapple really masks the green taste. With a banana or two and 1/4 pineapple, I can squish in a couple hundred grams of spinach without tasting much. It tastes different than just fruit, but not bad – really good, actually. Humanimal is right, spinach is really mild. I always thought it wouldn’t be, so I avoided it and found I was forcing down smoothies made with only a couple leaves of romaine (swampy-tasting, ugh). Try the pineapple, though.

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

I made apple juice with green powder and it was the most amazing smoothie ever.

• I had same problem like you…all my green smoothies tasted ..blaa…but I found amazing pineaple and spinach or tangelous and spinach.yum

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

my favorite is (and this serves one): -one biig handful spinach -one apple (preferrably red but green is fine too) -5 medium sized strawberries -1/2 of a banana -1 heaping tablespoon flax seed powder

SOOOO GOOD

• I would think that adding nuts or nut milks would be a no-no considering food combining?

I know from Victoria Boutenko “Green for Life” – and my own experience – that leafy greens combine perfectly with fruit, but nuts and fruit? That would tend to create gas for me.