Differences in Salts

Hi Y’all~ I’ve been looking at different recipes and many of them specify a specific salt (Celtic, Sea, etc.). What are the pros and cons of the different ones? Are they interchangable?

Comments

• All salt is equal. Many will say otherwise but no salt is really a food, it is just a rock like all of the other minerals. It has no business being in our diet. If you need to get a salty taste then use a plant that already has the salt in a digestible form like celery or tomatoes. Try to drink a glass of sea water and you will see how healthy salt is.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I agree with SocaL. I only use kelp salt in my foods because it’s salt which has been turned into an organic form, as opposed to the regular inorganic table salt.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Myself, I prefer celtic sea salt (this has been pointed out by a nutritionist as having more beneficial qualities than table or plain sea salt). However, I’m not entirely sure of the particulars.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

I believe that various salts have different quantities of certain minerals which give them their colors. Himalayan salt for example is rich in iron which is the primary ingredient that gives it its distinct pinkish tint.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Wet salt is less processed.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Thank y’all for your responses. Now, let’s get down to details… Does anyone know of a source of info that spells out the differences in the salts (like humanimal says Himalayan is rich in iron, etc.) or post what you know here to create that source of info?

Kandace~ Do you know what the beneficial qualities of Celtic Salt are?

This thread can turn into “Everything You Wanted and Didn’t Want To Know About Salt.”

The one thing I am sure about, I usually have to halve or more the amount of salt (or saltiness like soy sauce, tamari, etc.) that is called for in recipes otherwise they taste like sea water to me. Uck!

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

I know salt is salt, but…when starting out raw, I used Celtic sea salt. Then when Himalayan pink salt became ‘fashionable’ in the UK, I had to buy it… But I’ve just thrown it away and ordered some more Celtic. Don’t like the consistency, and (don’t think this is logical) tasted twice as salty as the Celtic. So I’m waving the flag for Celtic!