Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Belize

spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I have an amazing opportunity to accompany a midwife to belize to work in a birth center for 2 weeks….my questions are:

1) Has anyone been, and what did you think of it?

2) Any suggestions for traveling in South America as far as not getting sick? I am choosing NOT to get the optional vaccinations, but want to make sure that I steer clear of Malaria, Typhoid, stomach flu, etc.

3) If you have been, and you were raw…what did you eat? Any special produce that you can only get in that area of the world that I should make sure I try?

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

no I haven’t been there so I can’t help you, i just wanted to say Wow!! Let us know what it is like when you get back!

P.S. you can get homeopathic vaccinations which are harmless to you as well as being effective against disease.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Thanks Zoe, it’s a start…I will check with an amazing homeopath that I know!

I will post how it went, too!

• lstorzlstorz Raw Superstar

i haven’t been to Belize but would love to…. i have travelled to Mexico, Panama, and Costa Rica. i never got sick and never had any immunizations beforehand. people always have stories about getting sick from the water in mexico, but the fact is that the locals don’t even drink the water. everyone uses bottled water, so maybe just be careful of that. i don’t know how many of the fruits will be the same from mexico to belize, but there should be tons of fantastic fruits and fresh veggies to try - some of my favorites are guanabana (it’s really ugly on the outside but so delicious no the inside), mamey, sapote (this comes in pink and black - they’re both really delicious, like papaya), and there are so many more…. it’s probably likely that wherever you are, there will be a fresh street market, so you can actually talk to the farmers and ask them about different produce.

good luck and have an amazing time!!!!!

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

thanks for everyone’s help…I found out today that the trip has been postponed. But, I will take all of the good advice I have received and save it for later!

• In foreign countries, dealing with suspect water, David Wolfe suggests boiling the water, to kill parasites, then adding back sea salt, or pink salt (for minerals), MSM powder and lemon juice. He also suggests placing a quartz crystal in it. He says water bourne parasites are the primary source of illness in less-developed countries. Also—powerdered cayenne helps protect against amoebic dysentery. And powdered cinnamon. SO….Just spreading his word…..Best I got, as I have no direct experience traveling. I hope you go at some point, postponed or no, sounds like a cool opportunity :)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

this is good info as i’m going to costa rica shortly. my family usually takes acidophilus pills before we travel. we never get sick. (but with so many things, who knows if that’s why!)... i noticed that my health food store sells a bottle of liquid acidophilus in the refrigerator aisle. it’s completely raw, made from fermented beets and carrots i believe. i’ll either do that or take the same vegan pills we took last year before mexico.

tropical regions seem ideally suited for raw foodists. i wasn’t raw last time we travelled though, and am not sure if greens will be hard to come by. if they are, i’ll just do a fruit cleanse while we’re there. no harm in that.

• Spiritedmama

My brother and his wife have been there twice, and a friend of mine did a nursing program in Belize for about a month. I’ll check with them and see what they have to say.

• I checked with my brother and like I said they have been twice and have LOVED it, they would go back anytime. They stayed on Caye Caulker, small island off the mainland. Not sure where you are going to be. The country is formally British Honduras so everyone speaks english. The currency is pegged at 2:1 to the us dollar and it is pretty cheap there.

The two of them did not get any shots either. And they did not have any health problems. Just stick to bottle water and you will be fine. Showers are okay to use. They are into cooked foods so he recommended Coke, beer, juice…which are all good. and the Tonic water has an additive that wards off malaria, his advice was to drink rum and tonics like it’s your job – try one barrel rum But its up to you if you do or not =)

He’s not aware of any fruits or veggies that are only native to that area. I’m sure there must be some.. try Wikipedia?? But all of the fruit and what not are great. He also recommends the hot peppers there they are good and spicy. Not sure if it is cooked or not (I’m sure it must be) but he recommends you try Marie Sharps hot sauce (made with carrots) he says it is incredible It’s not much information but I hope it is of some help. I think you should go. Have a GREAT time!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

spirited mama, i almost moved there but came to san diego instead! I got a job running a hotel riding center with polo and everything…after one visit decided it was to much of a pirates cove for me! teehee living is cheap , all tropical fruits available, had a wonderful papaya there after not having one for years on the east coast where i lived at the time. I was warned about crime related to drugs, which are readily available everywhere i seems, but the people where nice, the air warm and the energy pretty laid back. have fun dont stress on desease, drink bottled water and eat what the locals do. you will be fine….