Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

breast cancer

I have read stories about people battling various diseases and overcoming them with a raw foods lifestyle, but have not heard from anyone that has had breast cancer. Breast cancer runs very heavily in my family and i would like to know if anyone has beat breast cancer or knows someone that beat it by going raw.

Comments

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

i believe that Brenda Cobb had breast cancer and got rid of it by going raw.

http://www.rawfoodinfo.com/pictures/befafter_br…

She has a book which has her story in it. I saw her speak and she is really great – she talked about when she found out she had the cancer and what she did. She basically blew off her doctor who wanted her to do chemo and found raw foods and her cancer is gone.

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Foods-Lifestyle-Br…

Breast cancer runs in my family too – my ma’s mom died of it.

• I can’t help you there BUT I did want to share this:

Vitamin D can prevent up to 77% of all cancers.

Read more here: http://www.newstarget.com/Report_Breast_Cancer_Deception_0.html

Mix that with a raw food diet and I’d say you’re pretty much invincible. :) Also, just in case you weren’t aware, Vitamin D can be gotten from sun exposure (thats it!). The reason it is more prevalent in black women is because darker skin blocks UV light absorption (which is what generates Vitamin D in our bodies). If you have darker skin, then you need more sunlight exposure than someone with lighter skin would. I think about 15 minutes in direct sunlight a day is enough with someone with lighter skin… I’d double that to be on the safe side though. Unfortunately, sometimes its hard to get all that sun depending on where you live, time of year, and what your work schedule is like. :(

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Dr Ruth Heindrick from the film ‘Eating’ beat it by just going vegan, not even raw. You can preview the film at http://www.ravediet.com/preview.htm you can but it there as well. This film promotes a vegan diet for disease reversal and prvention and it Won the Raw Food film festival this year.

Bernadette Bohan beat hers on Raw Foods. You can read her story in Get Fesh magazine volume 3 issue 4 summer 2006 which you can download for free right now. There is a link to it here on the GoneRaw forum… http://www.goneraw.com/forums/3/topics/1909

These two are of the tp of my head there are many more. I wanted to post some of my thoughts about disease “running in the family”. Here they are…

Eating perfectly is not enough. We have to change our minds. What we think controls our health more than we realize. If I believe that I am meant to be unhealthy, I will still be unhealthy, no matter how well I eat. We are what we think!

Doctors for years have given patients fake medicines called placebos. They make up a name for the fake drugs and tell the patient it will cure them. These fakes pills are effective 40% of the time. The patients’ belief in the Doctor and the placebo are enough to cure them.

Now consider what you believe about your own health. Do you tell yourself, ‘I’m big boned’ or ‘I’ve never been one of those fit/healthy people’? Do you believe you are meant to be sick? Do you believe perfect glowing health is an option for you? At one time, I didn’t.

I grew up hearing people say again and again things like, “You take after your Father.”, “You sure are a Carlton.”, “You’re a chip off the old block.”, “The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.” I grew up with a very clear belief of who I would be in the future.

At our family events, Dad, myself, my older brother and even his son, would all have our picture taken together so everyone could marvel at our similarities. Except for our age differences, we all looked very similar.

My Dad’s side of the family has a history of poor health. Heart Disease, Obesity, Diabetes, Cancer, etc. We “Carlton’s” were good at them all, and at age 35, I already had 2 out of 4. Of course, I believed that all this was normal.

Now at 42, I no longer fit into the “Carlton” mould. My Heart Disease and Obesity are long gone and my looks have changed completely. If my hair ever grows back, I probably won’t be welcome at our family events any more.

Since 2001, I’ll admit, I’ve done more than just change my eating habits. I’ve also changed my mind. With a little help from some new friends and a few self help techniques, I realized that my beliefs were much more to blame for my state of being than my family history was.

The me that I knew in 2001, was built on mostly bad beliefs and nothing but bad fuel. What would I be like today if I had grown up Purely Raw and without the limiting beliefs of family and science. I really have no idea. And that for me is magic, pure magic.

I no longer know what to expect when I look in the mirror. I no longer think that I’m good at this, and not good at that. I no longer hold onto moods or habits and call that my personality. I no longer expect to be unhealthy. I am Free! I am Free! Free at Last!

I now understand than I am unlimited, and it is great. I have replaced my old vision of my future with a grand new self belief. “I am a Flawless Creation of Spirit, with Infinite Value and Divine Purpose.” I feel lucky to have had health problems in my past. I may have never realized my true potential, had I not gone down this path.

Being Purely Raw is not a diet of restriction or self punishment. It is not something I have to do because of bad genetics. I love being Purely Raw. I love being in control of my destiny. I don’t feel that I am missing out on anything. I enjoy eating now more than ever, and for a “Carlton” that’s quite an accomplishment. “Us Carlton’s love to eat!”

Dr. Deepak Chopra in his book, “Ageless Body, Timeless Mind”, says our body’s cells are like little ears just listening for instructions from our mind. When we go raw, all of our systems work better. It only makes sense that our body will also respond better to our thoughts. So as a Purely Raw Human, how I think, is crucial to my health.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I second that, Chris! This way of thinking is very new to me right now and I’m just getting the hang of it. It is very difficult to be nice to yourself in your thoughts when one has spent so many years being negative. I still have to work pretty hard at it- it is not 2nd nature yet. MissThomas- Another thing that I feel is extremely important is environmental toxin exposure. There are many estrogenic compounds that are in everything from our food, storage containers, personal hygiene products, etc. that are constantly bombarding our estrogen receptors and many just can’t detoxify these fast enough. Check out all of your products and look for replacements that have ingredients you can pronounce! I have spent the last few months moving towards these products as I run out of the old standard ones. By the way, I think the rise in prostate cancer is probably for the same reason.

• Thanks for the comments everyone and yes i don’t think as positive as i should. I’ve gone through quite a bit in my life and a lot of my problem is i don’t talk about my problems openly i keep them to myself. Examples: My dad died when i was in the fourth grade from liver cancer and that was the start of it. My brother died when i was in the sixth grade (car accident) and my other brother died (mentally retarded) when i was a baby. My great grandfather died in my bed last year during hurricane season and the list goes on. I guess i just dealt with my problems by eating and started smoking when i was in high school(cigarrettes). By the time i got in college i was smoking cigarretes and weed. There is alot i could say and im not blaming my past on my being overweight. Just thinking back on everything, i didn’t have to explain anything to food. If i was mad, sad, whatever i was going through i handled it by eating (when i got older it was drinking and smoking) and that took my mind off it for a short period of time. I know i am going to be as healthy as i can, but i will need to change my mind set in the process too. Thats why im on this website all the time and others because hearing people’s stories inspire me to do better for myself. Ima stop babbling. Peace

• Lots of inspiration on this thread. Personally I believe that nearly all cancers that humans get are self-imposed, which is due to their bad lifestyle. These lifestyle choices include diet, thoughts, exercise, chemicals they use (toiletries etc.), sunshine, smoking, alcohol, etc. If we all did what was best for ourselves the oncology wards will empty out, in fact most of the hospitals will empty out. Wouldn’t that be great?

I was going to say the same as far as breast cancer goes – I believe it is not really hereditary, even though I have someone in my family that died from it.

I honestly think it is due to a few other factors as others have suggested – my main one being deorodants and antiperspriants (esp. antiperspriants). I really believe (and it makes sense when you think about how the body works) that blocking sweating from leaving the body with chemicals if what causes the formation of tumors near the breasts. If your toxins can’t leave the body through your sweat (even if you don’t sweat all day -you always have it leaving through your underarm area) what else are they to do but hang out in your body and accumulate and mix it up with those chemicals that get aborbed by your skin.

I don’t really worry about getting breast cancer now that I gave up the chemical deorodants and antiperspriants – I won’t say I am anywhere perfect in the other areas – but for some reason knowing that I am not inferring with my bodies natural toxin release and coating my skin with chemicals – I relief about it.

Well said SoCal – it is funny to me how people wonder why their doctors don’t recommend many preventative methods like diet or lifestyle changes but mostly prescribe pills and other unnatural treatments – I always think of it as – well, if they did they would be out of a job. :)

I remember when I used to work at hospital many years ago and when I would go to the hospital cafeteria and what junk the doctors would eat! Many of them were so overweight! Why in the world would I want to go to this guy for advice on my health?? Doctors are called doctors of medicine for a reason – they get paid big bucks to push medicine for the drug companies. :)

• StefunkStefunk Raw Newbie

This forum hits close to home! My mom, her mom, and five of my grandmas sisters have died of breast cancer. That is the main reason for me wanting to eat better. Queenfluff-I found what you said VERY interesting! What type of deodorant do you use?

• About deoderant, I can’t remember who said it or where (I actually think it might have been goneraw) but someone was mentioning using a lemon right after juicing it (so still wet) and rubbing it on the underams as a deoderant. This makes sense to me because the lemon juice will kill any odor causing bacteria and will also clean away anything that is detoxing at the moment so it won’t smell bad.

Although I haven’t tried it myself yet. I don’t use anything at all, but i will keep this in mind if I ever do need it.

stefunk,

I use the natural salt deodorant. It is just mineral salts. It comes in a blue blue and clear container and I buy it at Whole Foods. It doesn’t always work perfectly but at least I don’t have to worry about it giving me cancer.

Also, coconut oil works to at least get rid of the smell if you have smell – I have tried it a few times and it leaves me smelling nice. I read that someone said they had used it as experience once before they went jogging and they said it worked!

Katie – I haven’t tried lemon juice but I am sure it would work. I would just worry about it irritating my skin after a while. Maybe dilute it a bit?

I’ve also read that another contributing factor could be wearing bras. they are snug around the area of lymph drainage and cause stagnation of the lymph fluid concentrating toxins in the area. I try never to wear one unless I have too.

deborahann -

I read that about bras some where too. Fortunatley, I hate bras in general and i try not to wear them unless I feel I have too. I only have the organic cotton ones now – no underwires and alot more comfortable than the fancy ones with the underwires and unnatural materials. They are like wearing a sports bra or something.

I really hate the whole idea of bras anyhow. But the funny thing is that is almost considered like “against the rules” not to wear one. I actually got in trouble at a job once for not wearing one which is ridiculous because it is not against the law or something not to wear one. People just expect it from women to wear one.

As a matter of fact, alot of the unnatural things we women use are mostly because of the pressures at some jobs to look all “professional and perfect”. Like sweating is considered bad (look at all the commercials that focus on not sweating under pressure at work), not wearing makeup or styling your hair all perfect, not wearing pantyhose or not wearing a bra….it is like their is something wrong with being your natural self. I think that if I do a good job it shouldn’t matter whether or not I wear makeup or a bra or not.

Sorry this is getting a little off topic…but in a way, I think we can put the some of the blame on the pressures of the “business” world for putting us at risk for breast cancer.

Queenfluff- I’m definitely with you there! One good thing about winter in Pa is heavier sweaters mean a t-shirt and no bras (yeah!). Luckily I’m in a job where makeup is not required and my hair is short enough so that it self styles (sort of). I found some decent hairspray at the health food store that didn’t appear to have any bad things in it. The things we do to meet society’s expectations, huh?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Well, Dr. Lorraine Day (medical doctor) had breast cancer and claims she was healed by juicing. She has a 10-step program or something like that.