Almond meal

I’ve been making my own almond milk (and I absolutely love it, was never a fan of cow milk) and straining out the leftover almond meal. I’ve used it for dessert crusts, and mixed some into my granola..but do you guys and gals have any other tips for using up this stuff so it doesn’t go to waste?

Comments

• shannonmarieshannonmarie Raw Newbie

This isn’t a tip for using the almond meal, but for reducing the amount of waste. When I am in a hurry, I make a quick almond milk blending raw almond butter in water instead of grinding soaked almonds. There’s no need for straining and nothing goes to waste :-)

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I haven’t tried this yet, I believe you can use almond meal as a sort of flour when dehydrating raw breads. I’ve seen raw cinnamon rolls using almond meal, but haven’t tried them myself. I’d love to hear if you come up with any variations or ideas or just how they turn out if you try them!

Also, how do you make your almond milk? I haven’t tried this yet. And now, with the price of almonds so high, I’ve been a bit scared to experiment.

That’s funny that you mentioned the raw cinnamon rolls. I just posted my version of the recipe since reading divineprana’s request for ideas using almond meal. I eat them all the time. They are so good!

But, I also have to admit that when I don’t have any leftover almond meal, I either buy raw almond meal from Whole Foods or regular (sorry to say it is not raw) almond meal from Trader Joe’s. I figured that even when I use the regular stuff, they are still better for me than the traditional baked cinnamon rolls.

• Kandace- I just soak my almonds, throw a cup in a blender and add a few cups of water (different recipes have different ratios), with a touch of honey (or I suppose agave if vegan) and/or some vanilla extract both to taste. I have a large tea strainer and I use that to strain it. If I’ve made a batch of granola though, I don’t strain it, as it just adds more to it!

Shannon-Thanks for the recipe, I’m going to try it out soon! Do I need to dehydrate the meal first though?

divineprana, I usually use dehydrated almond meal, but I guess you could skip that step. Just adjust the wet ingredients to get the right consistency.

OK, pretty sure I can do this (making almond milk). I would also like to make the raw cinnamon roll recipe and it calls for 1¼ cups almond meal. What quantity of almonds would I start with in making the almond milk to make sure I had enough? Also, how long does raw almond milk stay fresh in the refrigerator?

Kandace, I’m not really sure of an exact amount of nuts you need when making almond milk to end up with 1 1/4 cups of almond meal after straining. I’ve just measured out exactly what I need after making almond milk a couple times. If I don’t have enough, I just add extra flaxmeal to the cinnamon roll recipe. You just need to end up with a total of 2 1/2 cups of dry ingredients for the recipe to work.

I think raw almond milk only stays fresh a couple days in the refrigerator, but I’ve never had a problem having any leftovers that long.

• Priceless OnePriceless One Raw Newbie

I have added almond meal to flax crackers when I was mixing some up. I took a basic flax recipe (from Alyssa Cohen, I think) and just adjusted it to my taste and my need to use up the almond meal.

Thanks for the tips on using almond meal – both in the cinnamon rolls and crackers. This has gotten me on an almond milk making kick!

I also added a basic raw almond milk recipe that I’ve been experimenting with. If you have any variations or additional advice, please feel free to post them in the comments or even add your own recipe – the more ideas the better!

• do you guys know how long almond milk will keep at room temperature? i find it is good to blend in with recipes when you dont want them to be cold.

• after reading kandace’s recipe for almond milk I’m curious to try it, but I noticed that 1 cup of almonds makes 3 cups of milk. In the recipe I’ve been using it takes 1/3 of a cup of almonds to make 4 cups of milk. I got the recipe from a book called Not Milk..Nut Milks! by Candia Lea Cole. She grinds the 1/3 cup raw almonds to a powder first in a electric coffee grinder, adds that powder to the blender with some sweetner, and 3 3/4 to 4 cups warm/hot water, blends then strains. I’ve been making it for months. I’m wondering if anyone else has tried this or heard of this book. There are numerous nut/seed milk recipes from the simple to the exotic.

• Find my Mixed Berry Sherbert Recipe for a great use of Almond Meal.