Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

One Lucky Duck's Nutmilk Bag

I’m wanting to buy One lucky duck’s nutmilk bag, but when I viewed it on the screen it looked basically just like a little nylon drawstring bag, easily makeable at home. I’m just wondering if any of you have it and if there is more to it or if it’s better to make or buy. Oh, and if it works really well??? Thanks all!

Comments

• I bought it and used it once. I don’t know if it was the bag, but the nut milk tasted really strange. I haven’t used it since. Personally, I think you could use cheesecloth and get a good result. Good luck!

• I can’t imagine the bag giving it a funny taste. I wonder if that nuts you used were rancid or something. Thanks for the feedback. I think I’ll make one myself with nylon or cheesecloth.

• The first time I made nutmilk I used cheesecloth and it made such a mess!! Then the pulp had strands of the cheesecloth in it too. I have been using a small sieve/strainer (like a tea strainer but bigger) and it has been working really well. You can get them at any grocery or drug store for just a couple of bucks.

• Renoir, how big are the holes in your sieve? Is it like micro-small? ...Maybe if I made one of nylon it would be better than cheesecloth? I really want to have a silky smooth drink and I’ve been using a sieve lately and I guess if I strained it a million times it might work, but I want it to be really …milky, ya know! :)

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

I bought some of the nylon nutmilk bags and they work wonderfully, no funny taste. I squeeze the milk out into a bowl—the milk is creamy and very smoothe. The bags rinse out quickly and very clean. I imagine cheesecloth would be impossible to clean, even if it did work.

• Greenie, did you get it a Lucky Duck? Do you only have to squeeze it once?

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

just take a piece of porous fabric (i used a mesh fabric to make clothes). fold in half. sew 2 intersecting sides. you don’t need a draw string.

also, most “mylks” taste great unstrained. =)

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

You can also use an unused nylon paint strainer bag – long “u” shaped bag, washable, reusable, inexpensive ($1-$2 ea), easy to get (local paint and hardware stores), very small mesh, strong. I’ve strained raspberries through one with great results except for the red stained hands. :-)

• I have their nutmilk bag. I used it to make walnut milk and I got the impression that it didn’t strain quite as well as a few layers of cheesecloth… however its MUCH easier and quicker to use. After using it a few more times I am pleased with it, but yes, its just a little bag with a drawstring. Not really worth the price tag.

• Thanks! You all are so helpful, not only that, you just saved me money!

• I agree with Katie. Nut milk bags can be expensive for being so basic. I would avoid purchasing from places like One Lucky Duck and Alissa Cohen’s site because they are over-priced, and on top of that you have to pay a few dollars for shipping something that could easily be stuffed into a standard letter envelope and mailed for 41 cents! If you really are intent on purchasing a nut milk bag and can’t find one at any stores near you, I would highly recommend searching for one on e-bay. I purchased one on e-bay for under $6 and was not charged for shipping. It looks like a mesh shower cap, but it works!

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

I tried Blue dolfins trick with the paint strainer and it worked liked a charm. Cheap too !

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

My favorite is from Matt Monarch. Very, very fine mesh. Very soft fabric/nylon, not a stiff nut milk bag at all.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

I bought mine on eBay. I agree with the others, they are way overpriced, they’re just a simple soft very fine mesh nylon bag. You can make it yourself for next to nothing.

I bought mine just so I’d know what it was so I can make more myself when I need them. But this is so durable I’m not going to need to make my own any time soon.

Sky Princess, I take a large bowl, the bag, and my K-Tec blender which is full of the blended, unstrained mylk. Holding the bag over the bowl, I pour the mylk into it all at once. Then I close the bag and squeeze and strain the mylk through it. It takes a fair amount of squeezing to get all the fluid out. I wring out the closed bag with the nut residue in it several times to get it all out. This sounds way more complicated than it is. It just takes 3-4 minutes and there’s something very satisfying about seeing and touching the creamy white mylk.

When the bag is completely wrung out, I turn out the residue into another bowl or container. That is the nut meal, for use in other recipes.

That’s it.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Here’s a thought.. maybe more mess or trouble then it is worth… What do you think about taking the blenderful of nut/grain milk mush and putting it though a juicer (centerfuge type or Champion type) to extract the milk… Would it ruin the juicer? Be to much trouble? Would it work? Hmmm?

• That all sounds so great. Thanks greenie, for the lesson. :) Good to know your method. I think I will check out the paint strainer thing or else make my own.

• That all sounds so great. Thanks greenie, for the lesson. :) Good to know your method. I think I will check out the paint strainer thing or else make my own.

• Use a clean white nylon sock and save some time and money.They are 33 cent a pair.