Dry Skin Brushing

I do some dry skin brushing but I’m just wondering if all there is to it is using a loofah in quick, short strokes down your body starting from your ankles. How often should one do it?

Comments

• Hi Sky Princess, dry brushing is very good for exfoliating your skin. It provides a gentle external message to help the elimination process through your skin, cleanse the lymphatic system, etc., helping it to detoxify. It sounds like you are doing it correctly. Dry brush before you shower, you can start from top or bottom [from the toes up or from the head down] using light pressure, and stroke away from the heart [I don’t clearly remember why but I think it has something to do with the lymph nodes/system]. You can dry brush once a day. Here’s a skin tip: next time after you’ve dry brushed, run a bath and add coconut milk.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I always thought you were supposed to brush towards your heart. Up the legs and arms.

http://www.jashbotanicals.com/articles/skin_bru…

• You brush away from the heart to brush the lymph away and to the outter tips of the body, or at least that’s my understanding. You don’t want lymph, which contains toxins, backing up or getting pushed somewhere it shouldn’t be.

According to the site that I posted, you brush towards your heart. Here’s another one:

http://healingtools.tripod.com/skinbrush.html

• aghhh which is it? i was told too that i should brush toward the heart. !!!!! eeep

• Oh dear, now I’m really confused! :0) But Nyuszi, thanks for the little lesson. ;0) Sounds great! I’ve heard some people do it 2-3 times a day, but that sounds like a lot of rigga-maroll to me, too much time wasted in my opinion.

• Do you know where a natural brush is available? ...Oh, for a good price. I don’t have a lot of money.

• Is dry brushing ok for someone that has very sensitive skin?

• Hi Sky Princess and everyone, you might want to stop into a Whole Foods market, Wild Oats, or beauty supple shop to purchase a dry brush. Or shop online at Amazon or even try Ebay. Make certain you buy a brush made of natural bristles, no synthetic brushes.

Envirogenny, if you have very sensitive skin, easily irritated skin you probably shouldn’t dry brush.

Okay I found the site I read months ago http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/HealingT…

“You can do the brushing head-to-toe or toe-to-head. It really doesn

Thanks for posting the question. It reminded me that I hadn’t done this for awhile. I did it twice today and my feet feel great!

• Nyuzi, that makes sense what you posted but what you seemed to contradict yourself in the matter of the direction you should dry-brush your arms. You said that you should drybrush from your hands towards the shoulders and then you wrote that for shoulders and arm area you should brush toward your fingers. Pretty please clarify it for me! Everything else made perfect sense. You are so helpful! Thanks guys!

• I have sensitive skin and I dry brush a few times a week, but never once or even twice a day. I do it before a shower then follow with an application of oil. This works wonderfully.

• Ooops, I meant to write upwards. Thanks for pointing it out and I’ve edited that post. Sorry for any confusion.

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I just started doing this recently and it is a nice way to start my morning shower. I got my brush at Target for under $10, natural bristles and all :)

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I got mine at The Body Shop. It’s about $20 if I remember correctly.