Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Surviving winter..

I’m not so worried about staying raw, but I’m concerned about my comfort.

It seems that no matter what I do I’m still cold. I will begin drinking tea soon- something that I really only do during the winter. I don’t care if it’s not raw, because I will freeze to death if I don’t have something warm during this wisconsin winter. I don’t want to start eating lots of fats and gain weight, because I’m currently trying to get IN shape. I guess I’m hoping that we’ll share some good ideas for surviving the winter raw and maybe keep this thread up for a while.. as winter approaches many of us.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i find that now that i am raw i don’t get cold like i used to. in “12 steps to raw” the raw family supposed sleeps outside during the winter months, in the nude no less. i am not quite up to that yet! actually, if you have access to that book victoria b. has an interesting stance on regulating body heat in general.

yoga and general movement are great for circulation. i find those kinds of “heat ups”, rather than tea, make me warmer longer. adding spices like cayenne and ginger get the blood moving.

room temperature food is key. if you get cold i wouldn’t eat something directly out of the fridge.

hope that helps. stay warm! =)

• I’ll definitely keep using ginger and cayenne. They seem to be the only spices I really use anymore anyway! What about cinnamon? Are there any foods that warm the body? I generally do yoga each morning.. and I’ll keep that up. Thanks for the food from the fridge tip, I completely forgot about that one.

Any other advice greatly appreciated!

• Mangowoman, I can totally relate to the cold winter blues upping the cravings for fats. I would advise that instead of trying to avoid them, try your best to ration a reasonable amount into your day (with particular attention to breakfast) because is the slowest burning energy source and it will keep your basal metabolism going throughout the day. Best warm wishes!

• some people say that cayenne and ginger are irritants- but, i’m sorry…they taste good and they really do help to heat you up. i eat all sorts of soup in the winter with garlic and onions and that seems to help…also, for me, avocadoes seem to do something- and they are a great source of beta-sitosterols, which break up bad cholesterol. they make your soup thicker and they seem to be really filling. try making soup with warm water in the blender, too.

• My fingers and toes are always cold.. the coldest, where it weirds my friends out when I have them feel my hands. My legs and arms are the second coldest and so on.. but by far the worst is my fingers and toes. I don’t know what to do!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

mango woman are you sure you donthave some sort of circulation problem? when i had a low thyroid i was always cold, icey fingers and toes, excersize would some times help but not last so i had two secrets both simple: warm water from the tap, I had very clean hands! heeehee and i would do the same for my toes if it was possible but what i ended up doing at work was buying smart wool socks, and microwavable heaters for my feet….If you are not comfy microwaving anything to put on your body, try a hot water bottle or a plug in pet bed heater for under your desk.( it is a thin square mat with a cord very discreet)

It also helps to keep those areas well mouisterized…so after i heated them up id rub in my mouisturizer of choice and then cover them in a lovely warm covering( fleece or wool , or what ever) I live in so cal now so its not as bad but we are going “home” for the holidays to the east coast and it will be realy chilly there as for drinking tea if you dont want to, try one of the other hot drinks in the recipe section…. and didnt zoe say she drank warm water with lemon a nice light alternative….. just my two cents…warm wishes

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I find a that a furry cat purring on my lap is the best winter warmer ever.I am happy to act as a radiator/sofa for mine!

Warm lemon water is good, but so would be warming up nut mylk would be even better, and having it with cookies with a touch of ginger and cayenne.

My husband Chris grew up in Florida, he’s been here in the UK for 3 years and he just can’t get used to the cold. He is better than he used to be, but we still have to have the heating turned up to full every year. He also wears thermal underwear, such a sexy look for a man…a hat is a good idea too…Sometimes wearing tons of layers is the only answer… so get your hip and trendy leg warmers on, and your two pairs of socks, you’ll be toasty warm!

• I have heard that black caraway seeds also increase blood circulation. Also, if I want to eat something “warm” (even if it is right out of the fridge) I will turn my dehydrator up from the 95-105 that I usually dehydrate at to about 115 and put whatever food in there for a little while to warm it up. Hot water with lemon is good, even if just holding the mug warms your hands, and you get to enjoy the clean scent of it.

I live in San Francisco, and I gets chilly here, but nowhere near Wisconsin temps. I get cold when it is 50 degrees!! I have a space heater under my desk at work, and I love snuggling up with a blanket on the couch at home.

• I have a similar problem but mine is related to low blood pressure, just happens to run in the family. I like to drink warm almond milk with a touch of honey and cinnamon. Sometimes I warm up some water and toss some ginger and honey in it. And every week I find an excuse to make “tacos” – love that taco meat! Plus I eat a lot of red onion and garlic ;-)

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

for me, a lot of exercise that i enjoy seems to do the trick for keeping up body heat. i also drink a lot of warm water with lemon.

• Mango Woman, I guess we have the same problem with the fingers and the toes! I have to put some comfy socks when I sleep. I do a few jumping jacks when my fingers get cold because I’ve spent to much time in front of the computer. This will be also my first winter as a raw foodist. Interesting challenges ahead!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

mango woman- if you do yoga, do you ever hold chair pose for a while. that’s a really great heat builder. or eagle pose. pretty much any balance actually.

tulinf Deleted