Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

IODINE

I have started using sea salt instead of table salt. I am worried about not getting enough iodine. Does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks, Layla

Comments

• That’s a very good question – you might want to see a nutritionist about that. The amount of iodine in table salt, as I understand it, is not nearly adequate for most people. At least, it isn’t unless you eat way too much salt!

My nutritionist had me on iodine supplements for a month or two – a comprehensive blood test revealed that I was very deficient. I suspect a great many people are. But I’m certainly not switching back to table salt!

• I’ve heard that supplementing with kelp is a great way to keep your iodine at a good level and it helps with thyroid issues too.

• Good point. I still try to eat lots of seaweed, to keep my iodine up. The nori rolls are great for that!

• I know it has been more that a year since this topic was started but, I just wanted to say… Ray, in reference to your post that you suspect a great many people are deficient in iodine…I found a very informative book that talks about just that as well as what the lack of iodine can do and solutions. It’s called “Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can’t Live Without It. Amazon.com sells it.

• Kelp has an insane amount of iodine in it. I bought some dried from Whole Foods. You can also get it online. Just a few min. in warm water and it is no longer dry. It’s pretty yummy. I’ve had it by itself or you can use it to make a nice broth for soups. Hope this helps.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I snack on whole dulse, which is the only seaweed that I really like. I love it! It taste much different from kelp, which I gag on, lol. It’s much better AND safer to get your iodine naturally from foods, than to trust iodinized salt. Bad stuff, very bad.