Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Kelp Noodles

newbienewbie Raw Newbie

I really like to eat seaweed and have found a Japanese sushi bar near me that has kelp noodle salad; although, I haven’t found kelp in noodle form at my local health food store and I’m not sure that what I see online is raw. Where do you get raw seaweed noodles?

Comments

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

i get mine from the local co op. maybe you could ask the sushi bar where they get theirs? i made a recipe with kelp noodles and someone posted this link: http://www.kelpnoodles.com hope it works!

• I love kelp noodles. I buy the ones made by Sea Tangle. Sea Tangle only sells by the case, but if you’re interested, they are at this website: http://www.kelpnoodles.com/products_seatangle_n…

I buy them individually at a health food store in San Diego called Ranchos.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i buy them at my asian grocery store.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

I buy them at OB Co-op in san diego but recently asked my local sprouts grocery if they would carry them and they said yes!! wahoo, no more 55 minute drive for kelp noodles…. LOVE THEM…..

• In looking at the website for these noodles and the recipes it seems they cook the noodles? Since some of you have prepared these noodles already, do you just soak the noodles to eat them raw? THANKS!

alive4sure, i toss them with vinegar and agave and seaweed for a cold salad and the other night i put them in soup in the dehydrator for an hour and they where devine!

• OH I can hardly wait to try these ~ will order from the company today ~ Have any of you tried the mixed sea vegetables the company sells? THANKS!

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

Thanks for the tips and leads. I will have to hunt around for some or order a case (agh, storage space!) ;-)

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

What is the texture like? I’m curious ‘cause I tried a brand from the local asian market near me and I did not care for the taste at all. They were WAY chewy and smelled ‘off’. I like most everything and I love seaweed so I was frustrated by this experinece. Is the Sea Tangle brand better than others?

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I am getting through alot of sea spaghetti. It’s from www.funkyraw.com but the variety is available from the USA I am sure. It is just like tagiatelli or fettucini. It is so like pasta I just cannot understand it! I mean it really feels and tastes like I am eating wheat and egg pasta when I have it. The texture is totally sport on.I make “Mock Black Ink Pasta with Pesto” from “Hooked on Raw” by Rhio. It would be great with any other sauce.

• Omshanti ~ thanks for your quick reply re: how to prepare the noodles! I can hardly wait to try them…. Anyone else who might have tried the mixed sea vegetable seaweed this company has, I’d love to hear about it!

Zoe, thanks for your comments re: the sea spaghetti you get in UK ~ I’d sure love to try them… I wonder if they compare with the noodles sold here in US? I know shipping would be very expensive to purchase from UK to send to US ~ but may be worth it ~Smile….

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Omshanti~ I saw the Sea Triangle seaweed noodles at Jimbos in the fridge section. The Henry’s near me doesn’t seem to carry them.

The ones I saw looked a bit “crusty” so I didn’t get them. Is that how they are suppose to look?

Bluedolphin …no, they shouldnt look crusty!!! they are like rice noodles and slightly see through, i cant wait to go to the site and order the sea veggies!!1 cool. maybe i will get a case!

marichiessa, these are kindo of crisp not chewy, i want to try zoes for chewyness…they really have a cucumber like taste to me…

In comparing the noodles from the site that Zoe posted and the Sea Tangle site, I noticed that the ones that Zoe gets are dark green. By stripping away the outer green part, don’t we lose out on getting chlorophyll? I know it’s good for us. It also makes me wonder what else we’re missing (nutrition-wise) when they strip away the green… Anyone have any thoughts on this?

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Newbie – I’ve not yet heard of anyone stripping away and green during processing, but the seaweed from Funky Raw that I posted before is called “Sea spaghetti” and also “Himanthalia elongata ” it is different variety of seaweed to the “sea noodles” from Sea Tangle which are kelp. They are different colours.

I am sure that if you Google “Himanthalia elongata ” you’ll find someone who sells it online in the USA.

The Sea Tangle’s FAQ page states:

“Why are the Kelp Noodles clear and not green? When the outer skin of kelp is removed, the inner portion of the kelp actually looks just like our noodles. Try it out!”

I’m just wondering how much nutrition is taken away when the outer skin is removed. Just curious. I still like the flavor, but would love to get all of the nutritional benefits too ;-)

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Thankx for the suggestion Zoe~ I took up the savanger hunt challenge.

For those in the US, I found a source… Brittany Sea Salt or Amazon. They are the same source and same price. If anyone else finds a different source, please post it.

I actually tried to cursery search with a google and didn’t come up with source. I have heard others say they found something on Amazon so I looked there…. Yeah Amazon. lol

omshanti~ Now you have a US option that you don’t need to get a case from… I wonder if the products are different than Zoe’s UK source.

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Awesome research guys!! Now I’m so psyched to try some. Sometimes I miss the texture of chewy pasta. But even if I wasn’t raw I can’t touch the stuff because I’m allergic to gluten and other misc. grains. ARG!!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I am bumping this up because I just had some of these at the raw restaurant and LOVED them. Mmm with curry.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

As far as storage space, these are refrigerated so make sure you have room in the fridge if you’re ordering a case – although now it sounds like you don’t have to do it that way?