Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

STROKE???

I know this is not really a forum to ask questions about health problems but I don’t know who else to ask. A few days ago I woke up and was getting ready to take my daughter to preschool when all of a sudden the bottom of my right foot went numb. Shortly after that around my mouth it felt numb. I started feeling disoriented like I was in a dream type state. I took my daughter to school but the rest of the day I felt completely out of it. I have not felt any more numbness but every since that including today I just don’t feel right. I keep getting confused? My question is does this sound like it could be some type of stroke? I am terrified of going to the doctor because I fear them trying to give me medicine but I dont know what I should do!!

Comments

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Please go to a doctor you trust. If you don’t know of one, ask around. You need to go NOW!!! Don’t mess around. You have a child to be around for. Have someone take you. If it is something serious, you don’t want an “episode” happening when you are driving, especially with your child on board. If it is nothing, then great. If it is something to be concerned about better to know sooner than later. Request your doctor be your partner in your wellbeing and work together. But go NOW!!!

• I am a nurse and one of my co-workers had a stroke in one of our morning meetings. Her first symptoms was numbness around the mouth. I would definately advise you to go to the ER or an Urgent care clinic ASAP. These symptoms actually happened to me last month and it ended up being an allergy to Iodine ( I can’t take Kelp anymore ). Unless your certain it’s something benign I would definately get it checked out. Many Blessings.. let us know how your doing.

• I don’t think it is as serious as Bluedolfin makes it out to be. I wouldn’t panic or worry about it, but to make sure it is nothing dangerous you should see some medical professional. If you know a doctor you trust (oxymoron, I know) or an alternative medical person then see them, see what they say. If you need further tests then have them done as long as they are not invasive. Then if they suggest drugs you can choose not to use them and instead look into a fast to get your body back into a healthy state – followed of course with a diet plan that will keep you healthy for years to come.

• Also, I wanted to let you know that they would give you some medication to reduce the risk of adverse effects from the stroke ( if it is a stroke ). After the acute phase they would only suggest a blood thinner or an antihypertensive, of course that would be up to you if you decided to take it or not.

• My mother is a nurse and said that with strokes, usually there is facial drooping, and drooping of one side of the body – not so much a numbness. However she still thinks you should get it checked out.

She also said its hard to tell without seeing / knowing you, knowing more information, etc.

Socal~ I don’t mean to cause panic, simply to be very strong about taking action. It drives be nutsy when people post stuff that potentially can be serious and ask non-health professionals to diagnose and to “prescribe”. A few might be very good doing that, but I feel we are doing a disservice to the poster. I am really conflicted about stuff like this. I am aware at the dysfunction of the medical “care” system, at least in the US. dnacol is just another example of a person being hesitant to get stuff checked out. There are health challenges that need immediate attention and are potentially serious even though the system is flawed. I “work” in this area and talk with many people all the time that the medical system and complimentary/alternative systems have or is failing. Also, there are many people who have benefited by this flawed system. I can debate this issue for days… and to no resolution, I might add. I can see both sides and get very frustrated over the whole situation. Ok, enough of my rant… where’s the chocolate! ;)

• Thank you all for your concern. I made an appointment to go see a doctor on Monday but if my symptoms should get worse I will have to go to the ER. I have heard of people having numbness and weakness then a stroke follows during that time. I have not heard of it lasting three days. That is the main reason why I didnt go to the hospital. Monday was the earliest I could get in for an appointment. Today I will feel ok and then start feeling kinda confused but no numbness. Bluedolfin I wasn’t trying to get someone to diagnose my problem…I just wanted others input. I guess I am just feeling a bit scared because I have never experienced this before, sorry to upset you!! Thanks again everyone!!

Hi dnacol~ Great that you took action. I totally understand what you were doing and applaud you for reaching out. My nutsiness is not directed at you.

My point is not about someone reaching out here (or other places, thank goodness you did reach out), it is that people don’t feel comfortable going to a healthcare professional. You did not feel comfortable or safe calling or going to an ER, a doc, or other healthcare option. It is an issue with the “system” not with the person. I was trying to think of an example that might clarify this, but I can’t think of one… Hopefully you understand where I am coming from.

Be well! Keep us posted.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I tend to air on the side of caution and would have reacted the same as Bluedolfin…I’ve seen too many people put off going to the doctor when their bodies are giving them warning signs, to find themselves only getting sicker by prolonging diagnosis. If you continue having any of the symptoms, I would recall your Doctor and I’m sure they would get you in sooner. You can specify that you are a raw foodist, or almost 100% raw foodist, and that you want to avoid drugs if possible or only have very low doses of them in order to avoid possibly being harmed from them because your body is cleaner than somebody that is on a SAD diet. Maybe a MRI, Xray, etc. probably would not entail drugs being needed in order to see what is going on??? Your body is telling you something…listen to it please…you telling it to wait until the appointment on Monday does not mean that it will listen to your schedule :) Please take care, maybe make sure there is another adult around at all times in case you need them, for your sake and your childs. We’ll be thinking and praying for you…

• Ditto on the thoughts and prayers. Hopefully, it’ll not turn out to be anything serious.

• I don’t hesitate when it comes to going to the doctor. I learned that being raw, vegan, walking every day, doing yoga, etc. doesn’t keep someone 100% healthy all the time. If the doctor says something that you don’t agree with, then you can seek a second opinion or find some other alternative, but it certainly doesn’t hurt to check it out.

I do know that sometimes doctors overreact, but I still go. Earlier this year, I had insomnia for a couple months, so I went to see the doc. He put me on an antidepressant & sent me to a psychiatrist (serious overkill I thought). But in the first psychiatry visit, the guy told me to stop taking the antidepressant (which I had for 3 weeks), and thought it might be vitamin related, so he did a blood test. Turned out I had a vitamin D deficiency. So off to the endocrinologist for high-dose D vitamins for a little while.

I guess the point is, that I never could have figured this out for myself. Yes, the initial doc did overreact, but eventually I got what I needed, & I’m sleeping well now.

Best wishes with your doc visit. Let us know how things turn out.

• No word back from dnacol?

Please, folks. Not all doctors, nurses, etc., are anti-raw, anti-vegan, or anti-herbal.
    There are many who are embracing prevention, in many different forms. Applying leaches is actually considered beneficial (in some cases) again. Medicine is reaching out, and starting to see the benefit of grandma’s home remedies.
    As a nurse working in a standard medical facility, I have seen wounds packed with sugar, maggots applied to festering wounds, and doctors perscribing goji berries.
    Instead of fighting the system, just make some polite inquiries, and then vote with your feet. Support the M.D.’s, N.P’s and P.A’s who are supporting the healthy revolution.
    We’re not all the ‘bogeyman’.

Hi woodchick~ I respect and applaud your inquiry and any medical professional who looks beyond their initial training and the pharmaceutical industry pressure. There are many health professionals who are doing just that because they take their medical oath to

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I agree with woodchick, we have had nurses and doctors come on our raw food courses because they want to improve theirs and others health the right way. Yes there are more fearful and dinosaur docs out there than progressive ones, but even those ones once they hear that you are actually engaging in a healthy lifestyle will give you respect and warm to you…because most people they see take so little care of their health, this frustrates them.