Eating raw on the road

I am searching for advice on how to eat raw while traveling for work. A little background info, I work for the airlines and I spend much of my day in a big silver tube painting white lines in the sky. My food choices are horrible, wendy’s, burger king, the typical airport fare. I have been eating raw for the last month an a half or so, but I run into problems at work because my choices are so limited. I have no refrigirator and limited means to prepare food. Does anyone know how I can eat raw with my lifestyle?

Comments

• hey, i would just suggest lots and lots of fruit. apples are really filling, delicious, and portable. You could also pack a salad in a cooler. I make a massaged kale salad that actually “stays” really well….you could probably make a large batch a day or two in advance. It gets better the longer its gets to sit and marinate.

I take a couple heads of kale, the juice of 1/2 lemon (per head of kale), olive oil, sea salt & pepper and actually massage the kale (cut up into tiny tiny pieces) with my hands for about 5 minutes or until its softened. Then I throw in cayenne pepper, cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, or whatever looks good. Its a REALLY filling salad.

Another good idea is to bring baggies of raw vegan trail mix. Gojis, almonds, walnuts, raisins (any dried fruit really), pumpkin & sesame seeds…your choices are endless. Its a really good, really portable snack.

If you’re feeling super motivated, you could make nut burgers & some kind of bread/chips ahead of time and bring these with you. I find that they don’t fill me up quite like a salad, though.

Do you just spend the day working and land in your home town, or are you spending a lot of time in other cities as well? If you’re staying overnight a lot, you might try googling supermarkets, smoothie/juice bars, or health food stores near the hotels you’re staying at, where you’d be able to buy fresh fruit & salads. Its also a good idea to bring raw energy bars.

• Wow, the kale salad sounds great! This is the advice I was hoping for. On a normal day I fly to one, maybe 2 cities with my flights lasting about 4-5 hrs on average. I recently had a SFO layover and went to “Cafe Gratitude”, it was great, so I try to find raw restaurants while I am on the road, however I rarely have the time or transportation to take me to these places, so I have to be very self reliant when it comes to my food. I have done well with my premade dehydrated cereals, nuts and fruit. This week for the first time I made seed burgers, and the hawaiian shish cabobs off the recipe list, I froze and vacuum sealed them for max freshness on the road. Hopefully that will work. Any more tips or advice I would love the input. Thank you.

• you know? congrats on making such a huge lifestyle change despite the fact that it’s so difficult…i applaud you! it’s a rare person that could do so under such circumstances…;-)

i will tell you what i would do…and this is ME, so you may read this and think, “oh no…you’re crazy…” and it’s okay if you tell me that…;-)

i’ve read many times, in many places, that the simplest, mono-diets are the best in terms of health (mono meaning “one type of whole food at a time”) and that the body operates more efficiently on these diets. in nature, theoretically, we would go from plant to plant, eating small amounts from each and perhaps stopping to munch on some greens along the way. this is usually where long-term raw foodists end up, because their bodies become very sensitive to improper food-combining and they begin to crave foods in their purest form- whole. i’m not there yet!

but, if my situation were such that that would be the easiest, least stressful option, i would consider eating a mono-diet during those times i couldn’t just pop into the kitchen and whip up a gourmet entree…i would look at the whole affair as an opportunity NOT to stress about food, but rather, as a time to take advantage of the ‘simpler is better’ adage. but again, that’s me! i tend to be extreme sometimes.

i guess this would include taking only apples, bananas, etc. that are stable and easily portable…and then whenever you had time to prepare or the means to sit down in a restaurant, you could eat the more complex things. i work in a corporate-oriented salon (BLAH) where i work 9 to 5 with only a half-hour lunch break. (stylists are simply numbers there; an hour lunch would mean they might not profit from the $19.00 haircut you could be giving during that time…i’m ranting! apologies! lol) i can’t leave for lunch or i would be late getting back. so, i throw an apple and a pear or banana or whatever into my bag and i’m fine the rest of the day. i just figure, hey…the mono diet’ supposed to be healthier anyway…so by doing this, i automatically eat a mono-diet until 5 pm 5 days a week! hooray for me! lol

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Have you seen the Gorilla sandwish idea? maybe this would be a good thing to take with you, if you can find a good and wide enough cucumber to make one in: http://gorillasandwich.com/

When I have to go somewhere I make wraps and take the filling in a separate container and make the wrap up when I am ready to eat. I make these wraps : http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/1906-Curried-Wra… and take sliced avocado, chopped tomato, thin slices of granny smiths apples and a jam jar of cream sauce, and a bunch of basil and some sprouts. Eating something like this, just makes me feel so good and well taken care of. The wraps are cheap, easy to make and they dehydrate quickly.

I’d make an apple crumble to take as well. This is a quick and easy thing to make and it is so filling. I always try to take something decadent like a great pudding/dessert which is so appetising to me that it takes my attention away from all the temptations of the SUK (Standard Uk Diet)’s world. I’d love to mono diet but I take recipes out with me so that if the bananas and apples don’t feel like enough, I have something to satisfy amd feel happy with, instead of wanting to go and get a bag of chips.

I also keep hearing a tip about putting a spoonful of oil in your smoothies to make the sugars release slower so you stay fuller for longer. That might help if you have long periods of work with few breaks.

I have a friend who had similar situation a while back when he was working 12 hour days with one 30 min break in the middle. He’d take a jar of smoothie, and another jar of salad dressing and a bag of salad ingredietnts and mix it all up in his break. He got pretty skinny during that time.

Have you thought about getting those Rawvolution boxes? If I had your kind of job that’s probably what I would do.

• I recommend getting a dehydrator (excalibur is the best) and packing dehydrated stuff with you since you have no refrigeration. If you have room, consider getting a Picnic Time Turismo backpack. They’re insulated, so you can pack food that needs to be refrigerated into it along with a gel cold pack to take with you as well.

There are a number of raw bars out there, including Rawvolution and lara bars. The raw trail mix idea that al! suggested is a good one, too.