Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Dried Coconut

kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I know the kind of dried coconut you buy in the baking aisle is not raw, so what do you use when a recipe calls for it? Do you just take an old coconut, get the meat, and dry it yourself? does anyone sell it?

Comments

• I’ve seen truly raw dried coconut in Wholefoods for 24 bucks a pound—RIP OFF! I’ve bought mature coconuts before and dried them in the sun or just used them fresh when it calls for dried. But I don’t really do that anymore because most of the mature coconuts are get are rancid and the smell and taste are absolutely terrible.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Nagev- very true about the rancid coconuts! When I got a juicer, I wanted to try making coconut cream, and the first 3 I bought (on the same damn day, different stores) were very bad. It was very disappointing. I think the leftover meat you get from juicing (to make coconut cream) can be a good substitute. And then you have the cream as well :c)

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

My favorite place for dehydrated unsweetened coconut is http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com

Incomparable Raw organic centrifuged coconut oil and low-temperature dehydrated coconut flakes. This is the ONLY place where I buy my coconut oil and dehydrated coconut flakes. The flavor and quality are unsurpassed. The coconut is removed from the shells, and washed in pure, filtered water (no chlorine is present). The coconut is then shredded and slowly dehydrated at 98.6

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I dry my own from brown coconuts, the taste is truly amazing and it becomes a staple item for everything from smoothies, cakes, cream, curry sauce and puddings. It is well worth doing, you can get alot out of one coconut.

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

I have not had any coconut in awhile. When I saw a recipe that required dried coconut, I would either omit it, get a coconut and dry it myself or buy it unsweetened at the middle eastern story, or whole foods. The last time I dealt with a coconut was last week, I wanted to have the coconut juice for my juice feast and the coconut was dead when I opened it.

• I know I'm picking up on an old thread (shoot, I'm staring 2009 in the face!) - but I'd love to know more about preparing dried coconut from a brown coconut. I'm assuming this is not the young one? Zoe - would you mind posting a little how-to? Happy new year ;)

• how do you know if your coconut is rancid? Is there a foul smell? I m not sure I have ever noticed one but perhaps I just missed it if it is a subtle indication.

• Pancake OrganicsPancake Organics Raw Newbie

I have been using dried coconut for cooking for the past 1 year. Organic coconut flakes are a perfect ingredient in confectionery, frozen foods, and other baked goods. It is high in dietary fiber and protein. I would like to try this recipe of dried coconuts.

• RawLiferRawLifer Raw Jr. Leader

Great suggestions about the coconut.  I'll have to look up that website...www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com.  I think I've seen the family videos a time or two.