Enzyme Inhibitors

Zoe~ You mentioned in the Oat Milk recipe comments that the water the oats are soaking in contains enzyme inhibitors.

Ok, I understood that about nuts. My question is does the same go for grains and legumes? Do grains and legumes also have enzyme inhibitors that are released when soaked? Any other catagories of food that have the enzyme inhibitors?

Comments

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

I think most grains, especially wheat, have enzyme inhibitors that can only be rid of by sprouting or fermenting. Not sure though.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

The job of the enzyme inhibitors, as I am sure you know, is to give the seed the best chance of survival by making sure it only sprouts when the outside conditions are optimal, i.e. damp and warmish. I think all dried beans and grains have enzyme inhibitors. Otherwise wouldn’t they be sprouting in any condition? When they are dried or frozen they are dormant, but still alive.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Zoe~ That makes a whole lot of sense!!! Thankx! Before it was just something someone suggested to do. I only thought the enzyme inhibitors inhibitted digestion. Now it is linked to something practical. Practically looking at things, anything that can be stored without germinating or growing in some way has the enzyme inhibitors that disturb humans from digesting it. Oh, these inhibitors safeguard the availability of nutrients until the “baby” has the right conditions to grow… Nature is amazing!!! !light bulb went off! Can you tell I’m not a plant person… lol