Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

cilantro

tdgtdg Raw Newbie

I see a lot of raw recipes that call for large amounts of cilantro. I just can’t hack the flavor of it. Does anyone have any suggestions for items that I could use instead of the cilantro?

Comments

• I’d use flat-leaf parsley for the green freshness with some lime to replace the kick you get from cilantro.

• tdgtdg Raw Newbie

thanks. I will try that.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I’ve read that a common reason some people don’t like cilantro is because it gives an almost “metal” taste in the mouth. This could be due to the fact that cilantro draws metals and toxins out of the body; therefore, you might like it after you get more toxins out of you…maybe in the future.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I used to think it tasted like soap, at times still do, but have grown to like it more after using it more often. Interesting Kristen, never heard that before, thanks for sharing :)

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

I always detested cilantro (in the UK we call it coriander) on a cooked diet, and now, after nearly a year on a raw diet (90%) I still detest it. A raw salad I had recently in a restaurant came covered with coriander – had to pick it all off… There again, I’m talking about the leaves (I’m OK with the seeds/ground leaves) (Maybe my body’s still not clean enough yet). I use flat-leaf parsley instead.

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

I do not think it is matter of being clean or not. I believe everyone has different taste buds and prefer different things. I liked cilantro before I became vegan and I still like it. I hate parsley. I force myself to consume it in my drinks and I found a drink that I like with it. I know my mom use to think I was crazy because I use to eat broccoli raw by it self and this was before I knew about raw veganism. I am sure there are people who have been raw for many years and detest broccoli raw. I like the coriander spice also, with almond milk, cinnamon and some sort of sweetner.

• Cilantro with almond milk and sweetener?! Hmmm.. that’s something I’ve got to try!

Cilantro is mm mm good!
    When I was young I’d play on hill tops, and eat culantro (cousin of cilantro..used in south america) right off the ground….

I wonder if you can “learn” to love cilantro??

• tdgtdg Raw Newbie

I have never heard of cilantro drawing the metals out of my system. I haven’t really thought of the taste as metalic so much as it just seems way too strong. I love strong flavors (garlic, green chili, onion, oregano, rosemary, etc) but cilantro just seems too much.

I may learn to love it after I manage to complete the transition to 100% raw. I have hit a bump in the road as I have just lost my grandmother (who I was very close with) and lost all concentration on things. I haven’t paid attention to what I put in my mouth. I am trying to regain composure and regain focus but am having difficulty with that. Physically I feel worse and I know it is because of what I am eating.Anyway, sorry for getting side tracked.

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

I hate cilantro and it smell.yuck!! I can’t stand it at all.I never liked it. I love parsley and I can eat it every day,onions evrything but not cilantro.It has the worst smell and taste that I’ve ever experimented in my life.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I’m not too fond of cilantro either, but I do use it with spirulina in my green smoothies.

tdg, cilantro is excellent to eat if you have had, or still have, any mercury fillings in your teeth. The cilantro will mobilize the metals from your cells, while the spirulina will help carry it safely out of your body.

• tdgtdg Raw Newbie

I have had the metal fillings but had them all removed last year. Is there any other way to remove the metals from my syytem without eting cilantro? I agree with Lucy that I just think it is a terrible taste. I also can do the parsley and love it. I just can’t handle the flavor of the cilantro. Is there another herb or veggie that will draw out the metals?

• Cilantro seems like one of those foods that you either love or hate. Me, I love it, and add extra to any recipes that call for it. I could eat it straight and sometimes do. My sister, however, hates it! Super pet peeve of hers, she can detect even the tiniest traces of it and freaks out about it.

tdg, maybe you could find a recipe where you can’t really taste the cilantro, or just using a bit would probably be better than none. Here is a good article about what else you can do for mercury removal.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

tdg. Brown seaweed, wakame, contains alginates that absorb and bind to mercury and other heavy metals. I take it in a raw form caspsule, Modifilan, and also eat lots of seaweed in salads and smoothies. I have been tested for mercury (and other metals) and my level of mercury was off the meter. I have also had my amalgams removed.

The problem with mercury though is that it hides in cells and yes, the seaweed is good for binding to it, but to my knowledge it doesn’t really ‘coax’ it out from deeper tissues. Have you read otherwise 123? I’d be interested to hear because I’m stuck with my fillings until I finish my invisalign treatment :-(

I know it isn’t safe to chelate metals, esp. mercury, while you still have amalgam fillings in your mouth. Eating raw will help coax the metals out of tissues. Much of the metals are stored in fat. As you lose fat, the metals become mobile. The alginates will keep them from finding a new location to be stored. This subject is a big issue with people diagnosed with MS, as mercury is often considered a causative factor of degenerative disease. Mercury has a symbiotic relationship with candida. If you do chelation, it’s best to address both situations, candida and metals. You could always force yourself to eat cilantro to mobilize and then eat chlorella or alginates to bind.

That’s pretty much what I’ve started to do now, so I guess I should just keep up the cilantro-spirulina smoothies. What is a good ratio/amount to be eating each day?

I don’t know how you could get too much. It is food, after-all. I make a green smoothie with Superfood that contains both spirulina and chlorella. I use 2 tbs. for 32 oz. of smoothie. I also add other superfoods (maca, kelp, chia seeds, hempseed protein powder…). I eat a lot of liquid, blended meals. They are digested easier and assimilated better. I used to be under the impression that these dried, powdered superfoods were hype. After having used them and having some recovery from MS, I have since changed my mind.

I didn’t mean to hijack this thread. My suggestion for a substitute for cilantro would be anything green!

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I love cilantro, it makes guac and salsa IMO

If it tastes soapy you are most likely allergic.

put cilantro+allergy+soap into google!!!

• thats new to me! it used to taste soapy to me… doesnt quite anymore…

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Lucy and others – there’s a website for us! Go to ihatecilantro.com It even has a forum!

• tdgtdg Raw Newbie

I will go check out the site. That is funny that there is a whoe site devoted to hateing cilantro.

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

Thank you a lot Debbietook. I really,really enjoyed the site,and the newsletter were great !I think I might be allergic to cilantro too,because like all of them I have nausea,headache and feel awful when I taste OR smell cilantro. Yuck !!! I think I will buy “ihatecilantro” t-shirt and feel free of my guilty and pain.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Can’t you remove metals from your body using Bentonite Clay? Taking the internal liquid version and also taking long soak baths with the powdered form?