juvenile diabetes

elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

Hi everyone, I have a question for all of you. Does anybody here have any experience/insight into juvenile (type 1) diabetes and what effect going on a mostly raw diet would have for someone diagnosed with this? A family friend of mine, who is 6, was just diagnosed, and I’ve communicated to his parents that they might want to look into nutrition. They are quite open minded, and I’ve lent them my wheatgrass juicer and some wheatgrass…

Comments

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i’ve got this type of diabetes, although i was 32 when i was diagnosed. it has had an amazing effect, and i am able to control my diabetes much much better now. i have reduced my insulin intake by about half. the only advice i would give is that if he does a raw diet, he needs to be very closely monitored, checking levels at least 6 or 7 times a day in the beginning, my insulin need dropped dramatically in the first few weeks and i was going low all the time which can be quite dangerous, and scary, especially for child who is newly diagnosed.
    he needs to carry food with him at all times, to counteract the lows. bananas are good for this purpose, especially if the blood sugar gets REALLY low. i kept bottled carrot juice in the fridge in the beginning (not raw because it is pasteurized,) but with a low blood sugar episode you need something quick, and i was waking up every night at 4 am going low.
    carrot juice was good for this because of the high carb count.
    i recently found something at a major chain market called O.N.E. it is young coconut water, in a small carton, about 11 oz. it is from brazil and claims to be all natural, only the coconut water and no preservatives, although it is not organic. i keep these on hand all the time, they seem to have just enough carb content to get me through the lows and they are very portable, would be great for a kid to throw in his backpack.

• Hi Elizabeth,

Sergi Boutenko is the most famous case of healing juvenile diabetes through raw food nutrition. He will be featured on the Raw Summit next week at http://www.TheRawDiet.com/summit.html
    Dr. Gabriel Cousens has a new book on healing diabetes through nutrition-
    search amazon for the title “There Is a Cure for Diabetes: The Tree of Life 21-Day Program by Gabriel Cousens

http://www.amazon.com/There-Cure-Diabetes-Tree-...=pd_bbs_sr_6/002-3481450-2024039?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192664477&sr=8-6

The book comes out in January. Also, Dr. Robert O. Young has a program for healing diabetes, Dr. Young is on Raw Summit tomorrow, his book is titled “The pH Miracle for Diabetes: The Revolutionary Diet Plan for Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetics” by Robert O. Young