Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

has anyone gained weight from a raw diet?

heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I am curious if anybody has experienced weight gain from following a raw diet? I am not 100% raw yet, more like 50-75% raw (all vegan all the time however!)
I am trying to have healthy cooked foods mixed in but still concerned about weight gain. I recently completed a 10 day MC.

Comments

• It depends largely on what you eat. I tend to go by the standard of balancing leafy greens, sweet fruits, and fats 1/3 each by dry weight. Also, the more (and darker) leafy greens you eat, the less likely you will be to crave high-fat or high-starch foods.

• itouristitourist Raw Newbie

I stayed at the same weight and lost one or two sizes going from (5 foot 8 inches without shoes, 42 years old, female) a size 6/8 to a 4.

My exercise consists of daily walking to circulate lymph and once a week yoga class.

I consume 2 tablespoons of coconut oil as a supplement each day, no other supplements. (Virgin olive oil on salads) I don’t down coconut milk like I see some people do. I think that could make you gain weight.

• Weight is a sore subject for me as I haven’t lost a pound. I haven’t gained any but I think it is only as a result of increasing my training. I am at a complete loss here. I’ve read post after post about weight dropping off everyone. It is quite disturbing to think that it can’t happen to me. I’ve had to resort to a food diary to try to see how much I am consuming during the day.

On the MC note: It is euphoric. I don’t think I have ever felt better before in my life. I am starting another one the first day of December. If anyone wants to do it with me, let me know. We can post here and check in. It may help too “see” what others are going through. If you are interested I can let you know about some of the detox symptons. I honestly don’t know why I started eating again. I can see why some people stay on it for 30-60 days. When you body is not digesting food, your energy levels are through the roof. Aside from glowing skin, it was the first time I slept through the night (6-7 hours straight in about 20 years.

Sorry to ramble…but… omg you won’t believe the way you feel.

Peace…

• JoyceH – You got it! It does help having someone you can bounce the experience off of…without a doubt. I flew solo the first time and had to rely on the MC website forum (which I didn’t know anyone) to get me through it. I will start the post that morning.

Don’t forget to have everything you need before you start. The last thing you want to do is visit a grocery store after not eating a few days. It’s not tempting but the smells are very overwhelming.

I found after day 7-8 the smells weren’t nearly as offensive. I am shooting for 15 days this time. We’ll see!

• I have not seen the weight melting off, as I had read from so many others. I do, however, feel much better and I suppose the weight will come off eventually just because I’m eating better.

veganpunk and JoyceH: I also recently got the MC book and have wanted to try it, but not necessarily solo. Mind if I join you?

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

Hi Veganpunk,JoyceH ans rawgramma,wich MC are you talking about?
    I did the lemonade diet for 3 days and that was the most amazing experience.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

A suggestion for you MCers~ Start a new thread about it… that way it is easier for people to know what y’all are up to. You will probably get more activity around it. Happy cleansing.

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

JoyceH,this is the one that you are going to do?

• I will join the MC on Dec. 1st too! It will be y first time, but its funny because I was looking for a support group to check in with! how awesome!

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Has anyone lost weight replacing meals with green smoothies? I’ve just got on the green smoothie bandwagon and am eager to see what they can do.

• Never gained weight from it. Perhaps your body is adjusting after your 10 day deal. I never heard of Stanley, though for years I have gone with Dr. Richard Schulze’s products which seem to resemble Stanley’s.

Whenever I resort to vegan it takes me several days to get on track. When you do eat it should be done in a relaxed way, a peaceful way.

This is usually not the case with me, my days are so hectic, yikes! But kblish is right in her thoughts to you. Watch the mixing of stuff, not every system will react exactly the same and then the age factor may take place as well.

Point being some raw stuff may challenge your system but you will learn how to outsmart it. If I could do it anyone can!

• All aboard! Let’s rock this guys. I figured we should wait until after the holiday but if one of you want to start a new thread now to promote the cleanse and get everyone ready, then we can start another thread the day the cleanse starts. What do you think?

The more people the more success we should experience.

Peace

• I lost 2 sizes on raw, although I’m not fully raw yet, going from size 38 to size 34. My raw food teacher told me that one can gain weight from eating lots of nuts or badly combined food. She’s been raw for over a decade and told me that after a year or so, depending on the person, the weight stabilizes.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I gained but it was my own fault! Due to a horrible work schedule and tons of stress the last few months I have not been exercising. I also tend to be a stress eater and transferred the overeating onto a high amount of raw fats. Granted they are healthier but too much is too much no matter if it’s cooked or raw. So now I have about 15 Lb to lose. I am joining MissThomas’s juice feast using green smoothies and juice. Hopefully my schedule will calm and my boss will hire some help and my life can get back to a normal pace. Even thogh I gained, I still felt way better than on cooked food. I can only imagine how good I will feel if I can get my overeating under control!

• I’m still just beginning (around 70-90% raw, for the last month) after a long history of disordered eating, and my weight has fluctuated a lot. It is entirely based on what I eat. The first few weeks I was very strict, fruits and vegetables, soaked nuts. I lost about 6 pounds, but I also run or belly dance every day. I’ve had regressive days where I binge on nuts (soaked or not) or dried fruit or Lara Bars & similar raw “bars.” I still feel fan-freeking-tastic, and my skin is great, but the weight does go up when I don’t keep track of nuts/fats and dried fruit.

• Hi Veganpunk,

I would like to be part of it,but I have no idea what it is?? May I ask you nicely to explain pls? renata

• Renata

No worries. The Burroughs Master Cleanse (MC) is a fast wherein you take in only water, lemon, maple syrup and cayanne pepper. The exact measurements and details can be found in his book and website. You may want to peruse that info first before you jump in.

Fasting is not for everyone and it is not easy. I found this type of fast to be the easiest in as much as I was NEVER hungry. I started to miss “chewing” on about day 7, but I never got hungry.

You are more than welcome to join. We can get you through it. The most important thing is not to binge prior to the fast and to get as many supplies as you can to carry you through at least day 5. The last place you want to be is a grocery store during the first few days of the fast!

I will start the new thread today, so post your anwswer here if you want, but look for more info on the new thread.

Peace…

• ZaZa Raw Newbie

I actually gained 12 pounds while in “chef training” at Living Light Culinary Arts Institute. Then lost it again when I came home, though, luckily. Goes to show there’s a big difference between eating “gourmet (read: high-fat, poor food-combining) raw” and “raw, whole foods” such as a meal of persimmons, or a few heads of romaine and some clementines. And don’t forget exercise!

• i do think we get a false sense of being able to eat whatever we want on a raw diet. most books tell you, you don’t have to weight, measure, count etc. but i do believe in combining foods properly. i eat fruits on an empty stomach in the morning and only occasionally eat a raw fruit pie after dinner. that really helps me feel cleansed and energized.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

agreed

i think if you are eating fresh you can’t really overeat

i also read that combining different fats isn’t wise, which makes sense to me since they are difficult to digest anyway.