Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Chia seeds..

What’s the deal with these? I know they’re supposedly high in protein, so I went out and got some from the natural foods store.

I have soaked them.. and there’s definitely a gel.. but how do I use them now?

Comments

• newbienewbie Raw Newbie

drink ‘em or mix them with something like OJ. you can also blend the seed/gel if you’d like it smoother, but the taste does get stronger

• http//www.rawreform.com/content/view/345/127/

Above is a link to Angela Stokes’s Chia Cheat Sheet. She includes lots of info as well as recipes.

Dr. Oz (of Oprah show and the YOU books fame) has given the thumbs up to lots of Raw goodies like flax seeds, green drinks & now chia seeds. Here’s what his latest book (co-authored with Dr. Roizen) says about chia seeds:

“Chia—a harvested, unprocessed, nutty-tasting, nutrient-dense whole grain with Omega-3 fatty acids—has among the highest antioxidant activity of any whole food, outdistancing even fresh blueberries. One study showed that 30 grams of chia seed taken with bread decreased the sharp blood sugar spike seen an hour after eating. Another study show that chia lowers blood pressure and the risk of heart problems. Our recommendation: two daily doses of about 20 grams of seeds daily.”

Cool that someone so mainstream is promoting food that many people might otherwise never hear of.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I just bought some ground chia seeds (raw of course) from my health food store, I was thinking of blending them in with smoothies.

I will check out Angela Stokes suggestions, but does anyone else have anything fabulous that they do with them? What about a binder for raw breads?

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I add the gel to salad dressing and smoothies. Salba is another seed that has outstanding nutritional qualities. I haven’t tried it yet though.

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

You can use it instead of flax seeds in recipes.Has much more omega 3 than flax and I believe has omega 6 too.

• okay now i’m confused. first, i’ve looked at angela’s site, but i was hoping to maybe make something without adding lots of fat.

I have them soaked. Can i blend the seeds AND gel together and make a smoothie with fruit and such?

I’m still on the hunt for other ideas.. i’d love to hear from you guys!

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Yes Mango Woman. The seeds produce the gel around them. It would be hard, nearly impossible, to separate the two. They don’t add any flavor that you would detect. You could make crackers with almond pulp and soaked chia seeds. Season with the flavor of choice and spread on Teflex sheets to dehydrate. Flip halfway through onto the mesh and continue drying until crispy.

• That’s what I do every morning Mango. I take 1/3 cup chia and add 2 cups water and keep in the fridge. I then add a couple tablespoons to my green smoothies in the morning. This lasts me about 5 days.

You can also make a pudding out of it.
    I found this on another blog:

Serves 1
    2 tablespoons of Carob Powder
    2 tablespoons of Chia Seeds
    2 tablespoons of Artisana Cashew Butter
    1 packet of Stevia
    8 oz of water

Mix everything in a blender till smooth and thick then pour into a bowl. We topped ours with our Cinnamon Crispies and raspberries! For a creamy dessert just add extra Cashew Butter or Artisana Coconut Butter and little agave nectar.

• Does anyone know the nutritional information for the SOAKED chia seeds [including gel]? I seem to be coming up with the unsoaked only. there must be some sort of difference, right?

• jrcjrc

to mango woman and everyone else,

as long as you eat / drink the gel that you soak chia seeds in, you get the same nutritional value as unsoaked seeds. a lot of people, including myself, like to soak the seeds because they are more versatile that way.
    if anyone is looking for a good place to purchase chia seeds, i found a pretty reliable online shop called thechiaseed.com Website Link