Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Young coconuts: safe?

I’ve replaced bottled water for coconut water in my green smoothies because I was led to believe young coconuts were very healthy. So, basically every time I make a smoothie I drink coconut water and eat the meat. Now I’m reading that these may be treated with formaldehyde and irradiated? I typically find the “Best” brand, and I think the other may be SSK.. or SK?

What’s the word…

Comments

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

This is something I’ve become concerned about as well. I think the best thing to do is find out from the supplier if their coconuts are irridated or dipped in formaldyehide. I just buy mine wrapped in saran wrap, so I don’t even know where they’re coming from! Even if they are dipped, would it penetrate into the coconut water? Coconuts are supposed to be really efficient at filtering out harmful substances, which is why their water is so pure. However, I wouldn’t want to be supporting a company using formaldyehide.

• “Best” brand are not irradiated, but I have no idea if they are formaldehyde-treated or not. I read on another thread that the formaldhyde is dilute does not penetrate into the inside. It’s just to stop mold during transport. Consume at your own risk, I guess. Personally I still eat them, but that’s me, a coconut nut!

• All I know is that all imported young Thai coconuts are sprayed with some kind of pesticide or another. There is no such thing as a young Thai coconut in North America unless you grow them yourself. Because they get imported all the way from Thailand, they have to spray them.
    However, I’ve tried to research the topic myself and have found nothing. So I don’t know; their skin is pretty thick.. even if they do get dipped in chemicals, do the toxins really get to the water and meat? it’s hard to say.

• It’s best to leave the plastic wrap on, & just cut right through it with the knife. By keeping nearly all of the plastic on, your hands won’t get contaminated, and hopefully the formaldehyde is only on the outside (and not getting to the coco water & meat).

• Good suggestions and ideas here, thank you!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

don’t know about the USA but over here in the UK we get Costa Rican green coconuts which have not been radiated/dipped in nasties because their shell is green, smooth and intact – unlike the white ones which have lost their provtctive shell.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

What I’m wondering is, if they have so much formaldehyde on them etc, why do they still often get green mold on the white shell? (I’m not saying I’d buy them like that, I’ve just seen it all too often) It could probably be because of how long it much take them to get all the way here (Winnipeg…)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

yeah I always wonder that too…I always see the white Thai ones with mould all over them. I thought maybe they didn’t dip them in chemicals in the UK, just USA.But the green ones taste so different to the Thai ones, something is definately up with them.

• I thought the green skin coconuts are the young Thai coconuts? just that the white ones have all their green skin cut away…?