Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Dining and Dating

2»

Comments

• PamPam

Renoir, the video is the Rave Diet Eating video. It describes a predominantly raw vegan lifestyle and the problems (health, environmental, animal rights) with eating a meat-based diet. You can purchase the video at ravediet.com. I purchased 10 for a discount price and have given them all away. It is life-changing!

• justagirljustagirl Raw Newbie

Hey Pam..dating has been difficult at best for me…everyone says “oh so you can only eat salads’..of course, we’ve all heard that phrase…and i hesitate to tell anyone that I’m a raw foodist on the first date….darn..how do you break it to someone who eats steak five nights a week? If I can tolerate their meat eating, surely they can tolerate my raw foodist eating…

• PamPam

I hear you, justagirl. Since I started this thread, I broke up with the open-minded guy. Although the time we spent together was great, he works WAY too much. Anyway, so I’m back out there.

I find that ‘fessing up right away is the way to go. Otherwise, the guy thinks you have an eating disorder. Unfortunately, most guys past the age of 35 or so start to look really unhealthy if they haven’t taken a few measures to curtail their poor eating habits. It’s unfortunate, but it sure helps in the screening process… LOL.

I do find that most men my age are interested in hearing about my diet. I think it’s because I am nearly 50 and look much younger. They want to know why… and most of them make subtle to not-so-subtle changes in the way they eat. I also tell them that few people have the discipline to do what I do. (Sneaky way to get the guy to compete, isn’t it?) But, I still haven’t mastered the art of how to appear to enjoy a bad restaurant salad when I’m out on a date!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Pam~ Sorry to hear that you broke up with Nice Apartment guy. :(

• PamPam

Yeah, thanks Blue. Unfortunately, I got more attached to his apartment than to him since I didn’t get to see him that much!

Pam~ If you liked his apartment more than him… um… anyone else in the building look like a possibility? lol

• PamPam

Blue, do you think if I hang out in his lobby he’d have me arrested for stalking? ;o)

Well Pam~ It sounds like he is never there so I don’t think he would even notice. Go for it! But, wear a hat and trench coat just in case. lol

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

Pam and Blue, you two kill me, giggling over my smoothie right now! poor men have no chance against you two!;)

pam, “how to appear to enjoy a bad resteraunt salad” isnt that the worst? had a ten dollar salad at a local spot last week with friends from out of town and while i had to have them remove half the toppings and put the dressing on the side i could not get over the brown wilted greens and dry tomatoes….sigh, i didnt send it back (as im a firm believer in resteraunt retribution, especially when the waitress seems put out by a “custom” order) I descreetly told the manager who DID NOT take it off our bill! ugh…its why i dont go to chain resteraunts normally! not only do the grease smells make me queezy but the salads are so dismal!!! hey maybe thats a new thread which resteraunts NONRAW have goodies we can eat…. so many are nation wide!

Hi omshanti~ It’s not about the guy, it’s about the cool apartment! lol

Sorry to hear you had an icky salad. Looking forward to meeting you also.

• PamPam

I’m totally over the guy. Hey, it’s been 3 days already… but still sad about the apartment! ;o)

Omshanti, chain restaurants are the worst!! Most of them don’t even cook so even if you see, for example, guacamole on the menu, it is likely to be processed with whey or some chemical additives and you are unlikely to find an avocado in the kitchen. Here in Chicago, it can be nearly impossible even to find decent produce in some of the better non-chain restaurants. However, I was pleased last night to have dinner at Bin 36, a trendy wine bar and restaurant, and get a beautiful fresh fruit plate and a sliced tomato and avocado (although for some reason they salted the tomato).

Pam~ I knew we were on the same page. lol

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I wrote about this topic on my blog recently…titled “to date or not to date a carnivore”...check it out at http://kristensraw.blogspot.com/2007/11/to-date…

Renoir…the dvd Eating is great! You can get it at: http://www.ravediet.com/

Cheers!

• PamPam

Nice article, Kristen. I think I’ve been lucky (for the most part) to find people who were interested and open. Food is such a big part of many people’s social lives. And I enjoy dinner dates because some of the best conversations happen then. Unlike some folks, though, who don’t mind eating before they go out, I’d like to eat in the restaurant while my date is eating. Last night was fun because I had two wonderful, colorful plates of raw food and didn’t have to twirl my fork in a plate of iceburg lettuce while my dinner companion is eating but feeling awkward because I am not. Must find more places like that!

• Thanks Kristen, I just ordered the DVD.

Another book I read recently (I actually got it for my mom for Christmas but read it first!) is Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. It promotes a vegan lifestyle but in a funny quirky no-nonsense way. It was actually a quick easy read too.

And one other thing… I know that San Francisco has citysearch.com. I don’t know what other cities have that, but usually, before I try out a new restaurant, I will go on citysearch (or other local restaurant guide) and either look at the menu online to see what options they have, or call ahead to see what they serve to decide whether or not it is worth trying it out.

Pam – Hopefully that will help have good food at future dates instead of iceberg!!

• PamPam

I’ve use citysearch.com but not for menus. Chicago has menupages.com which lists most menus. It’s often out-of-date, particularly when it comes to seasonal foods. I just keep trying… maybe by 2009, I’ll have a decent list of good options!

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I LOVE THE BOOK SKINNY BITCH!!! It’s so funny and straight on. I bought it as gifts for all my girlfriends last year for Christmas.

Hi rawgramma~ Did you eat raw when you were in San Diego?

• Ugh, I WISH I could meet a guy who was at least half-way concerned with his diet! They should have a vegetarian/vegan version of Match.com. lol

• raw_mama, there are several dating sites for vegans and vegetarians. A few of them are: www.veggiedate.com
    www.VeggieConnection.com
    www.veggielove.com

Plus there are forums on many of the vegetarian sites that include searches for singles.

• lol…thanks SocaL!