Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Foods to Avoid

shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

OR eat in moderation if you don’t want to gain weight… Anybody know?

Comments

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Nuts are generally something you shouldn’t go overboard with. High glycemic fruit and dried fruit in general.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i would say eat everything fresh (not dehydrated) and you won’t be able to eat enough calories to gain weight… nuts are extremely hard to digest, so avocados, or a few soaked & dried seeds are a better option.

if you are new to this though, i found i ate everything pretty liberally at first and was losing weight with no effort.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I wouldn’t go nuts (pardon the pun) with agave nectar or olive oil either. It would be difficult to eat too many calories otherwise.

• Nuts, even soaked nuts, are difficult to overeat because of the indigestion. In fact, you should probably try to enjoy a lot of different nut recipes now. When your gut gets more sensitive a nut patty on nut bread will make you feel like you ate the Great Wall of China.

As for weight control, I think that it is easier to maintain a steady weight if a person sticks to three meals a day (with maybe a snack of fruit in there somewhere). Frequent eating will keep a person’s mind on food all the time, and this leads to overeating or undereating. Mealtime conventions naturally restrain portion sizes and make it unlikely that you’ll eat too little or too much.
    A lot of Americans are nibblers and grazers, and a lot of Americans suffer from anorexia, bulimia, and obesity. In countries like Japan and Italy, where regular mealtimes are observed, people suffer from fewer weight problems and other health issues.

• i think it is also important to note that if you are justing starting out raw, maybe your body is trying to get rid of some of the dead junk still in your system. i agree with lionmouse, that once your gut is more accustomed to a raw diet you will probably adjust your appetite as well and then see a drop in weight.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

I hate to break the trend. I’m 3 years 100% now and do NOT gain weight from nuts. I do not eat many popular “raw food” nuts like cashews, pecans, macas, brazils. These nuts are normally NOT raw, especially if they’ve been shelled. That may be the difference. I normally soak or sprout all my nuts/seeds before using them.

I have found that I can gain weight from bad/old/fat thinking. I can gain 15 pounds in 48 hours, just by letting my mind wander into my old thinking habits about my body.

I do not avoid any raw plant foods that I can think of.

Lovebows, Chris

ps: for more info on what is NOT actually raw see The Dead Food List: Click Here!

• I’m with krispi & chriscarlton on this one – really, you don’t need to restrict a 100% raw diet, especially if you’re transitioning. Your body will honestly find its own way.

Besides, from your picture it looks as though you’re in a wonderful state of health already. You are just radiant and not remotely over-weight … truly!

• shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

Thanks for the info!

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i agree with belisarius, you don’t need to worry. if anything, you will have to worry about getting too thin.
    i had about 40 lbs to lose when i started on raw about 5 months ago, i would say i have lost about 20, and in the first 2 months i pigged out on nuts, and had no limits on how much i was eating. i still eat up until midnight.

i think the key is to listen to your body and go with your cravings. eat until you are satisfied. it s hard to gain weight eating raw, in my case, maybe i lost weight more slowly, but its still coming off.