acid-forming vs. acidic

pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i’d like to know the difference between an acid-forming (i.e. meat, cooked foods) and an acidic (i.e. citrus, apples) food.

i’m asking because i have been getting a few mouth ulcers lately and am wondering if they are due to something i am eating that is acid forming (maybe dried fruit?) or something that is acidic (i LOVE citrus!), or none of the above.

help please. =)

p.s. i got my first mouth ulcer when i was doing a cleanse the other week, drinking only supposed-alkalanizing juices and raw soups.

Comments

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I think that may be detox.During a cleanse, I had swollen gums at my back molars and a couple of ulcers and I usually never develop anything like that. The swelling resolved after a couple of days. I have read conflicting reports about acid/alkaline foods. Take lemon for example. Most list it as alkaline because when it digests it leaves an alk residue from forming bicarbonates, but I have also seen it listed as acid forming. I just try to look at several sources and go with the majority. This is where eating greens will help alot because they are definitely very alkalinizing.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

thanks. do you think maybe the acidity of my saliva made the situation worse?

ok. this doesn’t seem like a popular topic, but i just found this on freedomyou.com in the section about reactions to fasting.

Canker Sores…

“Toxic build-up in the mouth and the absence of the washing-action of chewing food can allow an increase of bacteria between the teeth. The tongue becomes coated with waste. To stop cankers, gargle with sea salt mixed with water several times daily. Dabbing the sore with tea tree oil or vitamin E quickens the healing process.”

anyone know if drinking probiotics would linger in the mouhth as “bacteria” that would cause problems? i’ve been drinking a lot of KOMBUCHA lately.

• There are some acidic foods, like lemons, that although initially acidic by nature, they produce an alkaline ash when digested so actually help in the quest for alkalinity. I’m not aware if there are initially alkaline food that become acid forming. Maybe someone else better informed could shed more light.

I’m not sure about the bacteria, but the acidity of your saliva could irritate. I got the sores when I was cleansing even though I was brushing and flossing several times per day so I don’t think it is overgrowth of bacteria. I have also fallen off the wagon lately and have eaten a huge amount of junk food….again! I got a sore then too and also broke out in a rash, redeveloped dark circles under my eyes and got blurry/foggy vision again. This is toxin buildup I’m sure and my body’s attempt to rid itself of them. I am slowly getting to the bottom of this sugar addiction but is very frustrating to eat this stuff knowing you are poisoning you body and not being able to stop. I am at least getting to the point where I stop before all the food is gone. I have a cleanse ordered and will start as soon as it gets here. I can’t wait until Dec. 1! I’ll probably develop all sorts of detox symptoms the 1st few days and mouth sores are usually one of them! Sorry to vent, I’m off the soapbox now LOL:) What does kombucha taste like anyway?

kombucha tastes like slightly sour-er (word?) sparkling cider. i’ve heard it is an acquired taste, but i must have acquired it cuz i think it is sublime. but it’s LOADED with bacteria.

maybe you are right deborahann about the canker sores because i brushed my teeth A LOT as well. anyway, i am rinsing with the salt water now and they seem to be subsiding. i do think the citrus was aggravating the sores, but i don’t think they were the cause. i’ve also heard, as mothergoose9 stated, that acidic foods aren’t acid forming…

oh, and deborahann- don’t fret. i would start eating a lot of greens and if you need sugar, do you like dates? i used to buy this big boxes of them as cosco (and they are in season NOW actually) and eat TONS. so unhealthy (the overeating), but it’s slightly better than junk food. just a thought… addictions take time. i’ve made a decision to stop drinking wine once and for all. the decision itself is empowering, but i wasn’t prepared to make it every other time i tried.

• I’ve been doing primarily the alkalarian diet recommended by Dr. Robert O. Young in ‘The pH Miracle’ for over 5 years now. Dr. Young attributes all health symptoms including gum issues to the over-acidification of the body. His research is quite comprehensive as he is a PhD’d biochemist and nutritionist. He is the best health resource as far as I’m concerned; I trust him completely.

I encourage you to check out Dr. Young’s site www.phmiracleliving.com and see what he has to say on the subject.

thank you! my library had the weight loss version of the book so i am reading it right now. it’s very similar to rainbow green live food cuisine with the fungus and blood cells and all that. GREAT info on water purification, which i had been looking for for a while. thank you so much!

I definitely notice I feel better when my pH is more alkaline. Unfortunately a stress driven food addiction has put me way off course these last 2 mo.! The Amino Acids I’m taking + a little decrease in my stress is allowing me to get some control over my eating back. I remember how good I felt when I was all raw with no junk or sugar and I really want that feeling back. I know what you mean, pianissima, about being prepared to make the decision. I also have decided to stop many times and sometimes it sticks for awhile and sometimes I’m back at it the next day. I forgive myself and try again, not tomorrow, but the rest of the day. The compulsion to eat is definitely less the last few days. I’m still way overeating out of plain habit and being surrounded by food from the holidays, but tomorrow is the day. Back to fruit, green smoothies and bee pollen. I’ll be drinking lemon water to further help my now very acidic pH. BTW Nanchka, before I backslid into the pit of sugar and junk food I had really improved my pH and the receeding gums I’ve had since my 20’s felt like they were just a little less receded. Hopefully I will get some regeneration as my pH becomes more alkaline and stabilizes there.

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

Also a great book is “alkalize or die”..I’ve just started reading into this pH stuff and it makes a lot of sense. I have the pH miracle to read after “alkalize or die” don’t forget, stress plays a major role in how acidic one is…emotions, trauma, etc., all play key roles. Moderate exercise and yoga may also help alkalize the body.