Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

For those not 100% Raw

shawnieshawnie Raw Newbie

What type of cooked food do you eat? I had some fried mushrooms the other day and felt heavy and sick – never again. I can’t imagine eating things like this regularly, I think I can only do Raw. Do you mostly use things like Tahini or Honey that may not be considered raw?

Comments

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I am not 100% raw because I have some coffee and tea now and again. Also, I do use honey on occassion. Then there are the things that are supposedly raw but may not actually be. I try to stay away from them, but sometimes I find out later that they may not have actually been raw (i.e. store bought nut butters, agave, spices, etc.). But, about 1x a week, I do have either cooked brown rice, squash, egg plant, or potato. Some weeks, not, but if you average it out, it is about 1x per week. I feel like it gives me other options when I am going to a social event, etc. I usually go about 1-2 weeks 100% raw, and then slip. I am hoping that will change in time, but I am not stressing about it for now.

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

I'm going high raw tommorrow. The cooked foods I will include in my diet will be vegtables that cannot be eaten raw, or are not very palatable raw such as potatoes, root vegetables like parsnips, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauli, courgette etc (steamed) and pulses- beans , lentils, chickpeas etc. I will only be eating wholefoods- no preservatives, e- numbers etc etc. I'll be having lots of salads with some fruit and fruit smoothies.I will include nuts and raw nut butters (in small amounts).I couldn't live mostly on fruit though I'm not knocking those who do- we are all different and some people love fruit, I'm not one of them-(80/10/10)- I don't like very sweet things that much, I like the variety of flavours and textures and have a more savoury palate than a sweet one. I like herbs, garlic, spices etc. I've always been more into veggies than fruit though I do eat fruit- I aim for about 4 different ones a day and drink lots of fruit juices.

• I love fruit, I eat pounds of it a day!!

Its amazing to eat nice fresh cold grapes and nectarines on a hot day. Here in Canada, it feels like 40 degrees:O

• rawcanadianrawcanadian Raw Newbie

I don't see how you can get your calories if your not eating fruit.

Hopefully not from fat!!!

I just became vegetarian 2 weeks ago, and I am working on going vegan very soon.

I am very close to that now, but am including things like potatoes, rice, whole grain pasta dishes, etc, because i still find it hard to get my calories (4000) per day from mostly fruit. Although I eat around 1500 / day from fruit at the moment.

and then some raw hemp, cacao, veggies, sprouts and i'm around 50% raw.

Feeling good anyway!!!

I do eat fruit- about 4 peices a day roughly- might be more now as I just came back from a big shop.I drink a lot of fruit juice daily also.

• KittyKitty Raw Newbie

I have learned after a year being high raw, that you do have to be very careful what cooked foods go into your body. Somethings I can't touch - refined sugar or any processed food (I wouldn't want to anyways - just have learned my lesson the hard way), anything fried will have you in pain for a few days, caffeine, obviously meat & dairy are the worst offenders. Also pre-packaged dehydrated raw treats that have a high sodium content do not make me feel well. If I eat anything cooked, its either a grain like quinoa, sweet potato, steamed vegetables. Interestingly, I had lentils a few weeks ago and after eating them my heart started beating really fast and I felt extremely tired for the rest of the night. Stayed away from them since.

I'm great with lightly steamed vegetables, and cooked pulses. Of course I'm not touching processed stuff! I cannot afford those packaged dehydrated "treats" but not into them. I don't use sugar and very little salt.

Meat and dairy- forget them- not had meat since 1986! Been vegan almost a year now (from vegeterian). I'm 42 and been into my veggie food for years ;)

• CeidrenCeidren Raw Superstar

I keep my cooked % very limited, clean--I just steam or bake whole fresh vegetables, with no spices, oils, salt, or processed foods. And I restrict it to one meal a day, dinner. But still, it feels like such a splurge after my years of 100%.

Processed..urgh..that's what caused the eczema- all those preservatives.I also found I'm highly intolerant to soya which is what a lot of vegans eat. I like to use fresh herbs, garlic and a little olive oil.I also like spices- certain ones like turmeric and ginger are very good for the body.Fresh ginger...mmmm

Oh yes, I like fresh turmeric (I just planted some of this) and ginger as well--they are healing to the stomach, as are many fresh herbs; but I avoid things that upset me, like cayenne, garlic, and onions.

Do you like basil? I adore it - the taste and smell...gorgeous.

Oh yes, I grow a kind of basil called Thai Queen Siam that I really love--it has purple/green leaves with a very strong, rich flavor.

Ohhhh...purple basil! I have only seen that once, and of course bought it, it was divine! Have you ever seen/eaten purple cauliflower and carrots?

Actually, I discovered dark purple carrots at the farmers market a few months ago, and they are now my favorite--the flavor is excellent, and I love having them chopped up in my steamer. I eat purple (or orange, or green) cauliflower on a regular basis too, and they are great. I've also had purple romano green beans before, which are very sweet. I just recently ordered seeds for 'cosmic purple' carrots, so I'll have my own supply soon.

• NyahzNyahz Raw Newbie

broccoli & cauliflower are 2 things I could never understand how anyone could eat raw. I find it just has such an unpleasant texture and taste, not to mention the awesome GAS ATTACK afterwards =P

• Ditto on the cauliflower and broccoli! I like the taste, but the gas is intolerable. Is there anything one can eat together with cauliflower and broccoli to decrease the gas factor?

• Just cook it LOL I think you wont get gas. If you eat fresh raw fruit you can add cooked veggies.

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

Digestive enzymes, ginger, and fennel all help too. I don't cook them but don't seem to have a problem with them. Fruit bugs me instead :P We're all a little different.

• NyahzNyahz Raw Newbie

cami, do you mean fennel bulbs or the seeds that help with gas?

• camiheartsrawcamiheartsraw Raw Newbie

I usually juice the bulb but both *might* work...I'll have to try it out. I'm sure I'll get the opportunity :)

• missemymissemy Raw Newbie

not sure about cauliflower, but if you sprinkle sea or pink salt onto raw (already cut up into bite size pieces) brocoli, and let it sit (after mixing it up some) for about 10 minutes, and then rinse your brocoli will be pre-digested just a bit, it's just enough softer to make it more palatble and less "offensive" to your gut and those around you ;)

• I used to get sucked back into the cooked food world by bread and butter. I decided to eat nothing but this and cheese for a day and a half and I felt so sick and foggy afterwards. The tasteless foamy dough does not appeal to me anymore, and the thick creamy fat-laden butter seems gross to consume. Unfortunately, I am still struggling with some foods that I have grown up with that my mom used to prepare for me (soft freshly baked cheese quiche, out of the oven oatmeal-clove-cinnamon cookies, hard cheese). I think those are the only things I am really susceptible to at this moment. I have to appreciate how long I have come so far! It really is impressive to cut out so much bad food from your diet and we should all cherish that courage we have!

• i was 100% raw for awhile, but i just kept craving cooked beans/grains!!! now i will allow myself some of this, cooked squashes/potatoes, also i drink tea a couple days out of the week. more in the winter.

"Actually, I discovered dark purple carrots at the farmers market a few months ago, and they are now my favorite--the flavor is excellent, and I love having them chopped up in my steamer. I eat purple (or orange, or green) cauliflower on a regular basis too, and they are great. I've also had purple romano green beans before, which are very sweet. I just recently ordered seeds for 'cosmic purple' carrots, so I'll have my own supply soon."

OOH Ceidren- I love the purple carrots! I get them in my organic order in the autumn/winter (that's when they seem to be in season here)- the organic shop calls them "rainbow" carrots! I cannot wait to get them again and grate them with beetroot..mmmm

The first time I got them I was very excited and was chopping them up to cook in a stew and ate 2 raw (so sweet and delicious were they) before I could get them in the stew- I must have had about 5 and ate them in 2 days lol.I knew there was such a thing as I had done a module on Latin American archaeology at university and the lecturer told us carrots were orginally small and purple.I didn't know my carrots were purple til I started peeling them as being organic they were covered with soil- it was a nice surprise!

BUT...have you seen purple cauliflower? I get that too in the organic bag when it's in and it is even nicer than the white one. there's also an orange cauli which is also gorgeous.

"broccoli & cauliflower are 2 things I could never understand how anyone could eat raw. I find it just has such an unpleasant texture and taste, not to mention the awesome GAS ATTACK afterwards =P"

I steam mine nyhaz- I couldn't eat them raw- steaming doesn't kill the nutrients and you can drink the veggie water after or keep it for a stock for soup!

Nyhaz re fennel- I was getting gas awhile back before I went high raw/wholefood vegan and found fennel is awesome for gas. You can either buy the tea bags and dfrink the tea or infuse the seeds in hot water, strain them out and drink the water.I hardly get gas now.

daesung- I loved quiche too. perhaps you could make a raw one using a nut base (leave out any sweetners so the base is savoury) for the crust and the nut pate/cheesy recipe for the topping and slice up peppers and tomatoes on top? I'm going to experiement with that when I have an electric blender.

treehugger- I don't think beans, rice and spuds are bad. I have them.

• It doesnt matter if your eating healthy whole cooked foods, as long its not processed junk like cake,cookies, chocolate etc. Im starting to eat cooked quinoa and my digestion is really good, I eat nectarines now. I keep changing my food around after a few weeks. I seem to stick with one single fruit and eat that only fruit. Now im eating alot of nectarines, they are deliciouse:)

Exactly sweet. I think the key is to consuming good nutrient every day- so as long it is wholefoods- doesn't matter if it is 100% raw or high raw if one is having a variety of fruits and veg.Processed junk- NO!

Necatarines are divine! My avatar loved them too :) - on eating one he wrote in a letter:

"Talking of Pleasure...Good god, how fine.It went down soft pulpy, slushy, oozy; all its delicious embonpoint melted down my throat like a large beatified Strawberry."

• :) What is the point eating raw quinoa or raw seeds, or anything else raw, and not be able to digest it right to get the nutrients, basiclly your just eating the food and it passes right through you undigested. Id eat cooked quinoa or cooked veggies like cauliflower and broccoli and be able to absorb nutrients and digest it with no problems. Has anyone got that bad gas and bloating and heavy feeling after eating dehydrated foods or all those nuts just because its raw? I bet you didnt feel all that great.

Greenwood, I generally get them in a bag of mixed carrots at the farmers market--which has purple, white, red, yellow, and of course orange colored carrots in it. They are great. I've had all the colors of cauliflower (green, orange, white, purple) and of course the fractal-esque romanesca broccoli that resembles a cauliflower.

Raw broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage never gave me gas--whether I 'wilted' them with acid+salt first or not. I've always eaten a ton of them, though I steam now so I can eat them without salt, fat, acids, spices... I suspect you may just have to work up a tolerance for them as you transition your body to accepting more raw vegetables.

• I only eat fruit and veggie-fruits like red bell pepper , tomatoes. But I can easly eat fruit everyday, with no veggies.

• Hey Sweet, you are so right. There are certain veggies such as broccoli and cauliflower that are better assimilated when lightly steamed. My holistic doctor said (and I've heard this elsewhere) that lightly steaming these veggies allows the cells to "pop" and thus releasing the nutrients. As for cabbage, I ferment it raw and make sauerkraut. Glad to see you are mixing up your foods and not stressing about it so much anymore. I was a bit worried for you a while back as you worried so much. I've been there! Actually, I've listened to a lot conference calls held by health experts and they all say the same thing - some foods are more nutritious cooked such as cruciferous, beans, and legumes, if you want them once in a while.

Also, I wanted to ask you - did you have trouble with eating sprouted quinoa? I LOVE the taste of it but I get severly nautious when I eat it sprouted - I'm wondering if I would be okay eating it cooked....