colonoscopy cleansing

Hey everyone, hope you all had a lovely thanksgiving weekend! I’m having a bunch of GI tests (including a colonoscopy) this Thursday and will begin the doctor ordered clear liquid diet Wednesday morning and the prescription laxative on Wednesday evening. I was just wondering whether anyone has any good raw clear yummy liquid ideas (so I don’t resort to jello!) or colonoscopy cleansing tips to help. Thanks!

Comments

• I love coconut water!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I have had several colonoscopies. I had to do a Fleet Kit and just follow the prep diet. I think I had just a piece of bread (before I was into raw but vegetarian) because that was all I could have on it and than lots of water and apple juice and I think some tea and coffee. THe solution and pill that you take with the Fleet kit, kinda flushes everything else out.

I just bought the apple juice from the store which is pasteurized because I didn’t have a juicer but if you juice your own I would definately need strain it. I think any light colored teas are OK too. Nothing red or purple. I think grapefruit or white grape or cucumber would be OK too – strained of course. I would double check with your doctor first too.

I was lazy when I did mine and just bought a huge jug of apple juice. Oh, lemonade is OK too but honestly I ended up drinking mostly water. I got sick of the apple juice pretty quick! :)

Good luck! Is this your first time? If so, you can look forward to a lot of air inside in you! That is the worst part of it. You get crampy with all that air.

I don’t know if you know this or not – and I was bummed to here this – but Brenda Cobb told me that colonoscopies don’t actually look at the whole colon and there are a parts that are not reachable by that eye thingy they use. It kind of worries me because I had pre-cancerous polyps removed. She said the best thing to do is to do the hydotherapy and a cleanses -like parasite or colon cleansing through raw foods.

I heard that they will soon be able to do colonoscopies via a Xray sort of thing so they can see whether or not you have anything that needs to be removed before you go through the whole thing.

• One of my relatives just had a colonoscopy, and they gave her some drugs to make her sleep during the procedure. Is is possible to do the procedure completely awake with no drugs involved?

lovingraw: Grapefruit juice is easy to make without a juicer. Just get a nice pile of grapefruits, cut them in half and squeeze the juice into a bowl. I can’t wait to hear how your procedure turns out, and whether the raw diet has made a difference in your colon health.

• I had a colonoscopy, but the short fast & laxative didn’t clean me out enough for the doctor to get a clear enough view. I had to schedule another colonoscopy a few weeks later. This time, he had me fast for an extra day, and gave me stronger laxatives. Bottom line is, next time I’m making sure that I’m well cleared out before I go in—i.e. a liquid diet for a couple extra days.

Also, I was awake both times. I got to watch the procedure on the computer screen & even got a picture to take home! I understand that you need to be awake because they may ask you to move your body slightly this way or that way so they can better position the probe.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

maybe celery juice?

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Try juicing 3 grapefruits, 2 oranges, and 1 lemon together. I find it makes a nice combo.