Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Matt Amsden's World Famous Onion Bread recipe

I made Matt Amsden’s Onion Bread recipe tonight. I discovered that the ratio of onions to batter was way too much. He calls for three whole onions, and I could only use about one and a half, and that was still a lot for the amount of batter. Has anyone else found this to be true?

Comments

• I just made Matt’s onion bread for the first time last week and it turned out great. I used 3 onions, but I sliced them very, very, thinly using a mandolin. Almost paper thin. I also blended a small amount of onion with the oil and nama shoyu. Mixed everything around, and it looked like onions with batter stuck to them. But I smoothed them out well on dehydrator sheets, and the recipe worked out perfect! Now I can see why this recipe gets such rave reviews… Delish!!! I must make more soon.

• Yes, Melanie, I also had trouble with too many onions. It helped to really “knead” the dough to incorporate the onions. When I cut back on the amount of onions (I used just one onion for the recipe) the bread turned out great.

• I’ve made the onion bread twice, following the recipe exactly. There do seem to be a lot of onions in the batter, but it all dehydrates down really nicely and looks just like the picture in the book. My SAD husband loves them. Maybe I’m using smaller onions – and I also slice them thinly in the processor.

• I haven’t made this one, but the variation from this site, Even Better Onion Bread, I love it. I did my own variation the first time, with extra herbs, celery, etc., trying to get the effect of stuffing, it was great; but I used ground and whole soaked pumpkin seeds, so alot of extra chewing going on. I just followed the basic recipe this last time, but still did my own thing with the mixing part. The extra veggies with the onion is great, I don’t thik I would want it to be too much about onion. I was afraid of the gas factor, didn’t happen. I will give my experience at the other recipe.

• Yes, yes, yes! Too many onions for me as well (I used 2 large onions cause that’s all we had). In fairness, I don’t think I spread the batter out thin enough, but still, I found the bread a little overwhelming. I might try again in the future and tweak the recipe a bit.

• I found the bread a little overwhelming as well, but I think it was because of the Bragg’s I used….even though I cut w-a-y back, it still kind of made me feel sick. I think a little goes a l-o-n-g way and you don’t need much to flavor this bread. It kind of ruined it for me…I don’t think I can eat anymore of it the way it is.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Where can I find Matt Amsden

• germin8germin8 Raw Master
  • Thanks for all the input, everyone. My onion bread is done now, and I think it’s absolutely delicious using half the amount of onions that the recipe calls for. I guess it’s a recipe you can play around with. Seems like a lot of people have adapted to their own tastes.

• Right, Melanie, this is a recipe to play with and change according to taste. I play with most of the recipes, not always having all the ingredients and wondering…..what if I use this and add that and cut back on….I guess I like to play with my food. Raw recipes are pretty forgiving and fun.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Interesting recipe, made it last night. Sliced the onions thinly with magimix and had to add a little extra water. Used miso broth instead of shoyu. Onions, onions everywhere, it was good. I also blanched the onions in hot water before using to soften a little more and get rid of the strong acids. I enjoyed the bread warm with some coconut oil spread on it, yum.
    Also would like to try making a ‘cheese’ topping and pouring over bread while baking. That way you can have cheese ‘n’ onion bread.

Instead of the sunflowers I used buckwheat flour made from grinding buckwheaties as I find flax fatty and didn’t want anymore with the sunflowers. I think this made it more like real bread. I would also try using spelt sometime.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I like the idea of using buckwheat sweetpea, thanks for the idea! Matt’s book is the first raw food “cookbook” I ever bought. I tried the bread 1x with horrible results. I thought is was very strong and overwhelming with both the amount of onions and the amount of nama shoyu. But, after reading this string, I am inspired to try it again with a few modifications. I just have to wait until after the Master Cleanse is over.

• I only made the recipe once as well and found it very overwhelming. With all of this inspiration I may tweak it and try again.