Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Grrr...Is nothing raw?

2»

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Debbietook, we’re all different. Some people stress over non-raw ingredients and some stress because people think differently than they do. I used agave nectar on fruit as an example. Some people have posted recipes with fruit desserts with agave. Diet is a personal choice. Perfection isn’t possible for all of us. You shouldn’t be so fed up with other people’s thoughts. Everyone is in various stages. I’m glad you’re happy with the choices you’ve made for yourself.

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Er,yes, of course I do know we’re all different (none of the people dearest to me are 100% raw!). Let’s put it a different way – to those who ARE apparently ‘stressing’ and ‘obsessing’ over non-raw ingredients, look at it this way…it can be FUN to find truly raw ingredients. There really isn’t anything to ‘stress’ or ‘obsess’ over. I’ve had great fun cracking raw macadamias over a stone (let’s say I won’t be doing that regularly, but it was interesting to contrast the taste with non-raw shelled, or even raw shelled – they taste quite rancid in comparison!). It’s also been fascinating researching raw olives – see my blog on this at www.debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com
    It’s also SO much more fun eating recipes by raw chefs that have been created using 100% raw ingredients. By coincidence, I’m expecting a delivery from Chris and Zoe’s company, purelyraw.com today. They make delicious dishes without using any non-raw ingredients. Anyway, I digress….as MOTH says, it can be far easier being 100% raw. But, on the other hand, I totally respect other’s food choices, and bend over backwards to communicate that. But what I do try to counter every couple of months or so (!) with a message is that implication (and whether you intended that or not, 123 – it comes over quite a bit on various forums) that anyone who says ‘um, is that actually raw?’ is being an ‘obsessive’!

It was not my intention to label all who question the rawness of food as obsessive, but there are some people who are. My intention was to point out that instead of stressing over it, and making yourself ill, take into consideration that there are far worse things than adding a small amount of spices or condiments to your diet, especially if by doing that, you eat more raw food because the taste is more appealing. We’re not talking about Heinz ketchup or Hellman’s mayonnaise. The condiments being discussed are marginally processed without chemical additives.

It’s possible to eat what you think is raw only to find out that it has been irradiated, sprayed with chemicals or nuts shelled with heat.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

CICi… sorry I don’t know anywhere in the USA. We’ll be moving to Virginia, about 4 hours from Washington sometime this year – maybe see you then?
    VEGDIANE - In the food processor chop spinach until it goes into a liquid, adding olive oil and salt. Pour on to dehydrator trays thickly, dry.
    Could add 1/2 advocado to make it into more of a thicker wrap.
    I prefer it to nori!

I don’t think it is obsessive for a raw foodist to want to only eat raw food…it kinda makes sense doesn’t it?

Zoe, that sounds interesting – I’ll try that today! I’ll eat that in preference to ‘untoasted’ nori, which (at least in the UK) may not have been toasted, but sure has been hot-air-dried, and then ROASTED :-)

Further to 123’s message re nuts, if anyone’s wondering, this is the situation on nuts in the UK: May differ in US (ie I know most of your almonds are no longer raw). Pre-shelled hazelnuts, almonds and walnuts are generally raw. Pre-shelled macadamias,pecans and brazils will not be raw (all steamed for ease of shell removal).I find it really easy not to eat the latter (and I don’t feel deprived),although the shops do have brazils in shells in the winter months (and I do…gorge..!)

As for ‘irradiated’, ‘sprayed with chemicals’, luckily in the UK an organic label means free of both these things (or at least so we are led to believe!).

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Yeah you’ll love it Debbie, it is a good way to sneak those greens in too :)

I find raw almonds from Spain really quite easily as long as I don’t go into major supermarkets. The Unicorn in Manchester does them.

Where do either of you buy raw spices?

123, I would stress that the original point I was making is that there are some who choose not to eat 100% raw who do rather have a habit of implying that those who eat 100% are sad obsessives, and that those trying to attain 100% are heading the same way…and – 123- if you look hard at my diet it’s quite possible that you’ll be able to find something that’s ‘not-really-raw’! (I eat raw choc for a start, and that’s debatable!) But the key thing is that I do my best with the knowledge and resources I have. Raw forums are all about spreading information and Chris and Zoe are doing the raw world a huge service with their information on raw and non-raw ingredients. Anyhow, I’ll answer your question. The knowledge I have in my possession at this time suggests that at least some of the spices I use are raw and others are question marks. I grate nutmeg and I grind cumin and mustard seeds. I do use a little pre-ground cinnamon, cumin and cayenne occasionally because as yet I don’t have hard information on the temperature reached in processing for the brand I buy. If at any point I obtain that I will consider whether to continue to use them to flavour my raw food, or to stop using them, or to try to find a raw alternative. I do also have cinnamon sticks, which I’ve considered grating – haven’t tried yet but may well do. Because that’s the kinda thing us 100% raw fooders do! I’m glad you brought the subject up!

• Has anyone every thought of starting a third party “Raw” certification organization like those that exist for Kosher, Organic and Vegan? These organizations are not perfect but when you purchase something with a certification logo on it you can be assured that it is what it claims. Way back many were using the term organic for their products but to gain greater credibility third party organizations formed to back the claims. It just may be time to do the same for “Raw”.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

That’s a brilliant idea, actually.