Advice on how to keep knives sharp?

RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

In another thread RawJim mentioned that one of his favorite raw food tools is sharp knives, and he said “learn how to keep them sharp.” RawJim, can you give me any advice? Does anyone else have suggestions and information about keeping knives sharp?

Thanks,
RawVoice

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Speaking of knives… a ceramic knife (although expensive) is supposed to be best. They do not “oxidize” food or, say, cause your lettuce to “rust”. It is sharp… but does require “special” sharpening and breaks easily.

Anyone have a ceramic knife? How do you like it? I thought of buying one, but not motivated so spend the money for one.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

To give you a more detailed picture of what a “steel” does and doesn’t do. First, the steel does not sharpen a knife. When you have a straight edge knife (as opposed to a serrated edged knife) the knife appears to have a “straight edge.” However, the straight edge is actually made up of very tiny teeth. When cutting things, these teeth go out of alignment and makes the knife seem dull. When you properly use a steel to align those teeth, the knife handles better and feels “sharp.” There is a technique to using a steel, and yes it makes a difference. Check out a cooking site Martha Stewart or a good knife site like Henckel for instructions. The same suggestion goes for sharpening options. Happy chopping…

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

Thanks for all those good tips. I have some Henckel knives, but they’re acting kind of dull right now, so I’ll definitely look for a good steel!