Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How long have you been raw?

Hi,

I am wondering how long you have been raw and what benefits you have experienced since going raw.

I am going to “go raw” tomorrow. Try, try again :)

Sunrise

Comments

• Hi sunrise! I have been raw since August 2007, although never 100% (close, probably 90% or more, but never 100%). I have lost weight; 15 pounds during the first 30 days and more since then, although I don’t own a scale so I’m not sure how much. I am down about two sizes. I have much less joint pain, I sleep a bit less and, more importantly, wake up feeling refreshed and ready to go. My blood pressure is back down, well into the normal range. I am more in tune with what my body needs as far as nutrition, and I am just overall taking better care of myself. I could go on because so many things have changed for the better, but you get the idea. Please don’t be too hard on yourself if you’re not able to maintain 100%. Adding any amount of raw will help you feel and look better. Best wishes and welcome back! Hugs! ~rawgramma

• HI! I started at about 70% raw 3yrs ago. I gradually grew in my journey and am now very near 10% raw. I’d say about 95% I cannot tell you enough about the physical and emotional changes I have experienced. I went from eating fast food and beer, to eating only fruit and vegs and drinking water! I feel AMAZING!!!!! I do break down occasionally, (who doesn;t?) and eat treats like baking. I live in Canada where it gets very cold and i find it harder to stay raw over the winter. I usually drink coffee during winter. However, as much as my body craves to eat these cooked foods sometimes, after I do, my body really pays the price! My skin gets puffy, I break out, I feel tired, depressed, generally sluggish etc. When I am mostly raw I feel sooo good!
    Keep trying sunrise! The more raw you eat, the more cooked food will start to disgust you. Stick to it girl!

• Hi sunrise,
    I started about 2 years ago, it was a slow process, by now I am 90-95%raw and there are lots of benefits that I am now enjoying: clearer skin, increased sports endurance, weight loss (6kg!), more energy and more time because I never need as much time to rest as I used to. I feel a lot better about myself since I recycle all the organic rubbish in my compost or walk to the nearest cattle herd to give them my peelings and stuff they would like, I feel better because because of me no trees have to be cut down just to grow food for animals who will be treated with cruelity. I also cured my Carpal Tunnel Syndrome by being raw – which enables me to keep on doing something I really love, which is holistic massage.
    What gives me support to stay raw is this forum, and all these benefits above. I am a completely different person now. It was a slow progress, but steady and I would say it was an evolution for me. I am developing and I never would go back. I know that I am on the right track and it keeps me going.
    Also I am not worried about side effects or B12 or any deficiency because I think all of us raw-foodists read and know more about nutrition than other people do. We all seems to eat a wide range of stuff and we are constantly looking for new healthy things to try and I think this light and learning empowers the human mind and body. When people think that all I do is rubbish and I am just a weirdo, it gives me comfort to look at them and then look at myself. People say that we have only one life and we should be enjoying it, and not fast and resign. I think it is them fasting and preventing themselves from their full potential to be happy and healthy and have a life of quality. I do not want to live forever, but the time that I have left on this planet I wish to spend on full power. That is the benefit. If you have the power to overcome some tiny cravings for foods that you have been conditioned to eat by your culture then the hard work will be paid for eventually and all you will have cravings for will be wholesome raw goodies. I wish you a lot of strength and happiness with your raw life.

• Hi sunrise!

I wish you well, wellness and joy. You can do this! Just follow what your body needs.

I started the raw journey May, 2007 at about 75% raw. It felt so good, I went 100% Oct 1st. In 7 months I have lost 50 pounds. I no longer suffer from asthma, the wheezing used to wake me up every night to take more inhaled steroids. Now I take NO meds. None. I feel full of life, energy, joy and light. My intuition has become much stronger. It has been a true transformation. This wonderful feeling is what keeps me raw—I just can’t go back to feeling sluggish and struggling to breathe.

This forum is so supportive and helpful. The recipes are delightfully tasty and beautiful. I have no cravings for cooked food since raw foods are so varied and full of flavor. They give me everything I need.

I have learned so much from the wonderful folks here. I’m glad you are giving it a try.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

almost 5 months! about 95% raw (the 5 % i reserve for coffee and tea)

reduced insulin intake

balanced thyroid hormones

lowered blood pressure

lowered resting heart rate

alleviated depression

discovered i had celiac sprue and alleviated arthritis in the process

sleeping much better

lost 20 lbs

less bloating/swelling

more energy

• raw for about 4 months.

not 100%. i’ve cheated occassionally, and i totally went back to SAD for a weekend while i was out-of-town. felt terrible after cooked food, though, so more motivation to stick with raw.

benefits of raw:

lost 15 pounds.

more energy.

sleep like a baby.

dealt with a bunch of emotional baggage, some of which i didn’t even realize was there.

cured mild (but worsening) ulcerative colitis.

cured fibrocystic mastosis, which i’d had since 17.

got off “the pill” after 7 years synthetic hormones. now i do fertility awareness (charting) and love it. periods are also increasingly lighter. libido way up.

better ability to focus and think clearly. more motivated to finish tasks rather than procrastinate.

sunrise, it helps me to think of raw as a journey, rather than a destination. everyone’s journey is different, so as long as you go at your own pace, you’ll be exactly where you should be.

• Wow, thanks everyone! You are all so great! Well, I am back from a let’s call it “farewell” to unhealthy food – I won’t elaborate, let’s just say I’m back from a pub – and I am going to start fresh tomorrow.

I am going to start a new topic “December” and record my daily food intake, feelings, etc…and I will reference the recipes that I use from this site! If I use other recipes, I will post them (if they are my own creations, not copyrighted). I believe that if I write down what I eat, I will become more aware…anyone care to join me?

I would love to read about your daily adventures with raw food…whether you are just beginning, a few months in, or a seasoned pro!

Sunrise