RAGBRAI training..

Is there anyone here who’s done the RAGBRAI [http://www.ragbrai.org/index.html] or planning to do so? I am going to be doing it this summer, and I figure now is probably the latest possible time for me to begin training. The seven-day total mileage for RAGBRAI averages 472 miles while the daily mileage averages 68 to 95 miles.

I have never trained for something like this raw before. I’m a little nervous, so I was hoping to find some good information from you guys here. Any raw cyclists out there? I thank you all in advance for any input, references, and advice!

Comments

• Sounds like you might be psyching yourself out. It’s not how far you’re going, it’s how fast you do it. If your normal nutrition is adequate then you should be OK, maybe just a little more of it. Unless you’re planning on a 5 hour century pace you shouldn’t have to change much or train excessively for that ride. Enjoy.

• It’s not a race, so the only time I’ll be going as fast as I can will be when I feel like burning a little extra energy. The group takes about 4-7 days to get to the other side of the state.

• Sorry, I didn’t express myself well. Your reply is exactly the point I was trying to make, it’s not a race. If you’re already reasonably fit and are getting your proper nutrition then you shouldn’t have to make any special efforts for that ride. We have a similar ride here in Oklahoma. I’ve heard that RAGBRAI is a hoot, perhaps I’ll try it out.

• How much riding do you usually do? What’s the longest ride you’ve ever accomplished in a day?

• I cycle A LOT, and I’ve been eating a raw vegan diet for about three months. I haven’t noticed much difference in energy levels since going raw. If anything, I’ve gotten stronger. I feel cleaner, if that makes any sense. I don’t cycle competitively at all, but I do like to go very long distances. I cycle a few hundred miles a week, that sounds like a lot, but I’ve been doing it for a while, and it’s not a big deal, it’s not difficult, and mostly it just takes a lot of time. But I love it!

I eat an enormous amount of greens, green smoothies everyday. When riding I carry along bananas, and they keep me going. One thing I’ve noticed since going raw and drinking so many green smoothies is that I rarely get thirsty. Even while riding for a long time I just don’t drink as much water as I did before going all raw. I eat fruit, and this keeps me hydrated. Fruit is a wonderful source of water.

I rode across Canada summer 2006, but I’ve never done Ragbrai. I’ve heard it’s a lot of fun, and mostly a nice big social event. I’d love to do it! For training, I would simply get on the bike and ride. If you don’t ride a lot now, you’ll want to get your bottom in shape. Sitting on the hard, narrow seat for hours and hours is probably the most difficult part of riding 70 to 100 miles a day. I don’t think there are many hills on Ragbrai, it’s mostly flat cycling, yes?

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Speaking of bike seats… there is a difference between a gal or guy seat. If you don’t have one already, get a gal’s seat. It will do your bottom good. :)