Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Best Place to Live for Raw

My husband and I are retired and very mobile, we are interested in changing our diet toward raw foods. We believe the transition to raw foods would be enhanced by living in an established raw food community within the United States. Is there anyone out there who knows of or is presently in a town where there is a supportive raw food community with co-op stores, restaurants and markets? Please let us know of a possible city or town.

Also, we are looking for support organizations, clubs, suppliers, etc. that we can contact over the internet to assist us in our transition. We are finding some information over the internet but also conflicting information and feel it would be valuable to have information from people that are presently living the raw foods life.

Comments

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Gotta be San Fran or Santa Monica for big towns. If a smaller town is what you are after I would say probably somewhere in Oregon or Northern California just above San Fran.

• from everything i have heard there is no question, san fran. and the worste is here in philly :(

• I’m in Portland, OR and I haven’t seen too much in the way of raw restaurants. I think there are 2 and one that claimed it was wasn’t fully raw. Maybe I’m missing something?

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Surely it must be California, USA.

Worst place: Emmer Green, Reading, Berkshire, UK.

• I’m new to raw and I’ve been surprised by the interest here in Austin. I think that California has it beat hands down though.

The thing I like about Austin is that you can get local organic produce year round (can’t do that in the North!). The raw food bar at Whole Foods is the only raw place I know of here. But there is a monthly raw potluck that draws in over a hundred people. The community seems to be pretty strong.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Can someone recommend a good nationwide real estate agent to search for property?

• germin 8, There is no nationwide realtors. But what we do is network with other agents in the areas that your interested in to find you a property. My website is www.bteamnj.com I would be happy to help you.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

It would be nice if there were… my husband just informed me there’s no such thing. How else does someone find all their available options in the U.S. (or maybe even world) for a property with a small runway nearby for someone who telecommutes and can live anywheere… or special “requests” like that. Ah well. (I don’t telecommute, just an example.) Thanks Lisabitt.

• i live in santa monica and i don’t ever want to leave:)......raw restaurants,farmer’s markets….good people…..lots of yoga…and oh yes the beach and the sunshine…...........

• When I started raw fooding I was in Myrtle Creek, ORE. Which is really a little hole-in-the-wall town that is about 2 hours away from Eugene. I took several trips to Eugene while I was there (it’s also where the Boutenko’s live) and the whole raw food thing there is huge there is an amazing co-op and a whole lotta people into raw food. I think if I was going to move anywhere to be around raw I would be moving there. Did I mention that it’s really beautiful there? Yup, definatly a great place. That’s my suggestion.

• JoyceH I totally agree! I would LOVE a raw restaurant in the Burlington area! I can also second the restaurant in Beverly…it was a fantastic experience! As someone who is wheat and dairy intolerant and allergic to sulfites…I almost cried that I got a glass of wine with lunch and could eat almost anything on the menu! I have found that there are small raw food companies sprouting up over Vermont and you can find some of these things at the Co-op in Montpelier.

• Portland Oregon alll the way! =)

For one, the abundance is amazing. And the prices are great.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

Anyone know anything about Hawaii? I know Kauai has Blossoming Lotus Restaurant there. That would be beautiful!

I’m in Scottsdale, Arizona which is gorgeous, amazing weather, beautiful mountains. Sedona is about two hours from me with two restaurants serving Raw and a growing community.They just had the huge Raw Spirit Festival in Sedona a couple of months ago. And, down in Patagonia, AZ (about 2 hours 45 minutes from Scottsdale) is Tree of Life Center with Dr. Gabriel Cousens.

Kristen Suzanne

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

ChefRaw16, I’m in santa monica too! Sometimes I forget how great it is here… I went to El Paso, Texas recently and it made me appreciate it here so much more… over there there was like, nothing! Maybe the one raw thing i had going out was guacamole from some restaurant… and other than that i had to just keep getting fruits from a supermarket there.. oof, definitely not nearly as many options at all as we have here!

What I would like to know is how about internationally? What city/Country is the best place to be for raw food? I’m seriously considering moving to south america. I think it would be nice to be somewhere with richer soil, not many chemicals or processing to worry about and closer to the source and to nature with cleaner air.. i’m thinking about peru where you can get fresh raw sources of such good foods and superfoods too like maca, sacha inchi oil which has like 97% omega 3’s, 6’s, and 9’s, a, and coca leaves (which dont drug you as raw) but are an extremely rich source of calcium…

• Internationally: I live in Norway and raw food is more or less unheard of here in Scandinavia. We have fantastic nature and fresh air though… I think it is a little better in other places in Europe. Great Britain for example has a flourishing community it seems and I have also noticed activity in Germany for example. But, Europe in general is far behind I think compared to America.

• JoyceH – Glad to hear about the cafe opening :) That would be a much shorter drive. I noticed that rawshe said that they were from Woodstock, VT but don’t know of any others in person. I haven’t met Linda yet so thanks for her website information! :) Lol who knows we may have already crossed paths in City Market!

Blessings.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

kundalalita, I have friend living in panama, she transplanted there and teaches yoga at a resort on some river…she loves it, lives on fruit and coconuts. I grew up overseas and remember the carribean being very good for fresh fruit especially( not so much aples and such but mangos papayas you know “real” fruit) teehee growing a garden is easy anywhere where there is sun most of the year and water i not so much an issue where there is a rainy season! good luck to ya.

• By far the best place(s) on planet earth are places in the tropics as close to the equator as possible – for example a lot of people are living in Costa Rica and other central American countries (Belize is another great one) as well as South America and of course the other continents that lie near the equator (Asia and Africa). In the USA the best place for weather and tropical plants and foods is Hawaii, second best is southern Florida, California is ok but the weather is not as tropical as Hawaii and Florida. As for a community there is a town called Sebastopol in Sonoma county: http://www.ci.sebastopol.ca.us/
    which is in northern California. There are many raw food and health companies, individuals and organizations who make it their home and they all say they wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. David Klein lives there, here is a group of raw people who live there: http://www.rawfoodsebastopol.com/

There are many organic orchards and vegetable growers…the list goes on and on.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I think Australia would be a great raw food haven. Especially in the tropical rainforest region. You can grow such an amzing variety anything there, and there’s so much space and sunshine too.

• MopokeMopoke Raw Newbie

I am from Western Australia and Perth is great. Lots of organic produce available, farmer’s markets and plenty of imported extras from the US etc where local supply doesn’t meed the demand. Tropical Queensland is great too ( although the long term residents there seem to look a bit ‘stretched’ for some reason.
    Back to WA: I recently had a hair analysis done which showed very high copper readings and virtually no molybdenum (necessary for iron metabolism).... This is apparently common to lots of Western Australians…. I am expecting the readings to change as my raw food diet becomes longer term and I will also take a supplement.
    Western Australia is also really close to Bali which is a health paradise and where about a fifth of its population (about a million people I think?) are expats. Just to see how beautiful the local people are makes one suspect there is something good for you in all that rich volcanic soil – or else that there is some other special energy shaping them.
    Lots of beautiful people come from various parts of South America too…... maybe that’s a good indication of if a place is good to live in?
    Another thought to consider in choosing a location to live is future political stability and maybe climate change? Plus if you pioneer to a new place when young then there is the chance to raise children there ….but when old it means departing from all your family…
    Finally – speaking of pioneers I think that all the people here at Gone Raw who believe in this diet are pioneers and that in the next decade or so there will be a lot of others following after…. so probably it will be easier to be a raw foodist wherever you are.

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I am PSYCHED for Grezzo in Boston! I live 20 minutes from there :) yaaaaay

• San Francisco not only has raw restaurants, but an amazing farmer’s market.

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

San Diego is fantastic for raw foods. There are quite a few raw restaurants. It has the Optimum Health Institute which is a holistic,raw food institute. It has great farmer’s markets, a very good co-op in Ocean Beach and Rancho’s Market in North Park and Hillcrest that carry lots of raw foods. It’s wonderful!

• If you want an adventure – try the Philippines! work recently sent me for a 3 week stay, and i didnt want to leave! Philippine Air was even able to provide me raw in flight meals! The people are fantastic, i even found a raw chef that delivered a supply of raw meals to my hotel. And on my day off I went to The Farm (www.thefarm.com.ph) which is a raw spa – and one of the most beautiful places on Earth! Ill be heading back to NY soon, but i cant wait to come back. All the fresh fruit/veggies and the wonderful climate – its just fantastic! :)

• Grezzo is awesome, I cannot say enough good things about it!!

• san francisco is fantastic, if you can afford it… it’s very expensive to buy property here. brisbane/the peninsula are probably best options. we have an amazing co-op with a big raw food section, not to mention any product i’ve ever wanted, several great farmer’s markets, and two very lovely raw restarants.