Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

My previous experience - now confused

When I was 30, I weighed 185 lbs, was 6’4” and open to new health ideas. I met a Doctor who was into fasting and juice fasts, and cleansing. I made an appointment and he checked out my eyes for signs of toxins. He then prescribed that I start a fast – drink 5 pints of various juices (carrot+celery+parsley, carrot+celery+cabbage, mung bean juices from sprouts, pour beat, pure spinach, pure cabbage). I was also to rent a high colonic machine and do 1 hour per day while moving stomach muscles, kneading belly, hammering on abdomen. I also had an enema at night before bed where I did head stands and very energetic stomach muscle routines.

I started at 187 (had body dismorphic disease – thought I was hugely fat as I had a tiny layer of stomach fat). I stayed on this fast for 23 days when it was time for my next appointment with the doctor. At that appointment he said my eyes were looking clearer and that I was near my perfect weight – I weighted 161 at that time and my bones were prominent in my chest. He said I had to loose only 30 pounds more as 131 was my perfect weight based upon bone structure. I said that I was 6’4” and maybe 130 was a bit low. He assured me otherwise.

When I told my girlfriend about the advice – she freaked and said I had to stop listening to that doctor, so I did. I ate slowly in small amounts for about 3 days them started more normal eating, except I was eating less than my normal habit was. Even eating 1/2 as much I started gaining weight very fast. I had a craving for veggies dipped in a ground sesame seed, tahini, ciane, cider vinegar, salt and dry mustard. Killer dip. But in only 2 weeks I had gained back to 185 and only 1 month later leveled off at 230. I could not looses this weight no mater what I did. I biked 2+ ours daily. I ate very little. Over time I started another gain cycle and leveled off at 257; then another to 278; then to 311. It took years.

BTW the news papers started reporting a naked man running at large at Kapiolani Park on Oahu (where I lived). He was seen chewing on the bark of bushes and trees. He also stole food from picnickers if they were not watching the food. It was my doctor. He thought he could survive on only air and 1 carrot a day. That was his diet when I terminated treatment by him. He was a breathairian.

I am now about 243 after being 218 three years ago. I believe I need to approach this slowly, by reducing cooked and substituting raw. I am still reading as much as I can. I have found other sites about raw foods, but not everyone agrees to what is a smart way to eat. Is it really best to be 100% anything? I wonder is it best to just eat the foods as they are or to try to simulate a food – like bread.

There are controversies about juicing even – some say juice is not whole. That some ways to juices are better than other. Some say blending with a warp 9 blender is best. It can be a bit daunting to figure out what will work for a specific person.

clinton

Comments

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

what a story! i can’t believe that the so called doctor wanted you to get down to 130!! for a 6’ 4 ” person, this is waaaaay too thin!!
    honestly i think 185 would be about normal weight. you probably just needed some weight training to firm things up.

i’m sorry to hear about the body dismorphic disorder, this is such a tragic disease.

i hope that this experience doesn’t turn you off to juicing.

i think when starting this lifestyle, you have to be compassionate towards yourself. you are here because you are ready to transition to a very healthy diet, give yourself credit for that. take it as slow as you need to. maybe do breakfast and lunch raw, and for dinner have something cooked. i think after doing this for a month you will begin to see that the cooked food is putting you to sleep. the sooner you get away from baked bread and crackers and chips the better. thats where the dehydrator comes in handy. made raw these items are fine in moderation. as you know with diabetes, you gotta get that carb count down. going gluten free helped me tremendously, grains cause inflammation, so its very helpful if you have chronic pain or swelling. ( i might have mentioned some of this in a previous post to you—so i apologize if i repeat myself)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Have a look at our website there is alot of info on there about being 100%, and why me and my hubby think it is a good idea to try it at least once in your life for about 2-3 months. Getting to that point could take months, years, it doesn’t matter, but it is something which is so beneficial that I do believe everyone should give it a go once.

I would write a long post here to help you out, but time is short today and everything I would say to you is on our website, but basically chill out and let it be your pleasure and what feels good that guides you:

Here’s the page on our website that talks about the benefits of being 100%:

http://www.purelyraw.com/stayingpure.htm

And this talks about why cooked food is not a good thing for our bodies:

http://www.purelyraw.com/cooking.htm

And here we discuss the mental aspect of health, coz good health isn’t all just about the food:

http://www.purelyraw.com/changeyourmind.htm

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

also, keep in mind that “raw vegan” is not the only path, you could be 100% raw and still eat unpasteurized goat cheese, raw milk,raw fish, and raw honey.
    i think i would personally be more in favor of this if the raw dairy was readily available.
    this is not the genral opinion of this site, but i thought i’d throw it out there.

• Good advice stylistchick, IMO. I have always been ready to try things. Sometimes to extreems. I am watching myself so I don’t go to fast into anything. I have always loved tofu – it is cooked, but I would miss that. Also cheese mmmm. I bet the crackers whould be missed as well. But I know that taste can be trained. I no longer like sweets very often. Only once in a while.

Are there any Portland restarants that I could sample various raw dishes? I am trying to live as long as my younger wife will.

clinton

• Hi Clinton,
    I’ve eaten at Blooming Lotus, in the Pearl District, not far from Powell’s Books. They have both vegan and raw. I really liked the raw pizza. They also had a raw apple tart that was wonderful.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Here is a blurb from a book I just finished reading today- Raw Success by Matt Monarch. He brings up a good point that I can really relate to. “It is not what you eat that heals, it is what you do not eat! You must COMPLETELY without exception eliminate refined sugars and processed starches. These are the most damaging to the body.” I am a sugar/ starch addict and there have been times when I have done really well eliminating these 2 things before I ever heard abou raw. I felt awesome! Unfortunately the cravings would win out and I would spiral back down to sugar hell. I am trying to correct the reasons behind this addiction, cleansing and am hoping to return to raw or high raw. When I started eating nonraw after being raw for 2 wks, it was because I was really trying to control the fat intake. If this happens again, I will eat the fat and let this pass. I think these extereme cravings are probably a form of detox some of us expeience. All I know is that when I start eating these 2 things again, my memory and concentration suffer, I become very puffy everywhere, my energy is nil, and I can literally watch my skin deteriorate. I have joined the cleansers and hope to be able to completely eliminate these 2 things from my diet. I rarely make New Year’s resolutions, but this is gonna be one!

• Wonderful and honest responses. Thank you all. I do not crave foods very often anymore. My appetite is usually not in control of my eating. I eat to have energy and feel well.

I help others with resolving emotional problems. I coach them. If I can find other ways to help (such as better diet) – I will do it. If a raw or mostly raw diet helps me I will soon know. This is one reason for my interests in raw foods. The theories sound good to me, but like all theories not all agree. I am in the uptake of information stage now. The hard thing is for me to filter out the rumors and stay with the factual information.

Is there a best way to do anything, or does our uniqueness require a fitted solution? From my reading at the Blind Guru, the use of a power blender makes sense to me as the whole food has all that that food can have. Juice seems to be only a part of that food. I plan to get a warp 9 blender in the next month. Any brand recommendations are welcome.

clinton

• Portland restaurants: Blossoming Lotus is very good! Nutshell (3808 N Williams) is a vegan restaurant and serves a raw lasagna that is very nice. It has balsamic vinegar on it so I’m not sure that it is 100% raw (I’m still confused about all of the things that might not be raw since I’m still kinda new to all of this). Kinta (3450 SE Belmont) has some vegan dishes and a very good green papaya salad that is raw (again, may not be 100%).

My diet is mostly raw and mostly vegan (the occasional sushi sneaks in there). I am an emotional/stress eater. Eating a high-raw diet has really helped me to deal with some of those issues instead of stuffing them down my throat. I’m not sure why that’s true, but it is. This lifestyle was an experiment for me, and I’m very happy with the results so far.

• I agree, Clinton. I have a Vitamix 4500, and love it. It’s radically changed the way I eat, and because of it, I’m eating much, much better than I ever have in my life. At least I think I am…