Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

25% Cooked!

germin8germin8 Raw Master

I was listening to Drs. Brian & Anna Maria Clement (director of Hippocrates Health Institute) on Raw Summit 2. and he did some research and found that healthy people can eat a vegan, organic cooked diet that is 25% of their diet. What a relief! ... that explains why some health-type places advocate a diet that is 75% raw and 25% cooked, vegan. In his interview, he mentioned that people who were not in good health… and began a raw diet, could start introducing cooked food into their diet after two years.

I wish I knew where all this research was! I would like to learn more about this.

Comments

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

interesting. i think it all depends on how the food is cooked. i have something cooked every once in a while, probably ends up being once a month. but i really feel it, and its not good.
    i thought i was going to vomit after eating corn chips!! as soon as i get a dehydrator i think i will be on my way to 100% raw, or very close to it.
    cooked food makes me want to fall asleep, but this could be partially an insulin issue for me.
    i think i would eat way more greens if i could steam them. if i add anything cooked i think it will be veggies.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I agree… I think the cooked food would be the more “difficult to digest foods”. Maybe cabbage… carrot… depending. Or grains.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I ate some cooked food with my family at Thanksgiving. I felt the effects, weakness in my legs, etc. for three days. Of course, I ate the chess pie with wheat and eggs, both not recommended on an MS diet.

I read a lot about nutrition. It is my understanding that going into a raw diet cold “turkey” could cause more health disturbances than transitioning gradually because there is a massive release of toxins from the cells. There is always a different view of things!

• I would love to hear some good, honest, extensive research on the difference between cooked and raw foods.I’m slowly starting to dislike cooked foods more and more. I notice when I eat raw foods, I don’t have to limit myself. Whereas with cooked foods I feel like I can only eat 1 meal a day otherwise I feel really sick. Then I end up hungry later and eat another cooked meal- its a vicious cycle. Slow progress is key!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

I think it depends on who you are, what your lifestyle is, etc. I’m a maximalist with my health so its 100% or 2% with me, hence I choose the 100% route, besides the VERY occasional trip to the raw restaurant which usually entails some form of non-raw food like shoyu or miso. For chronic conditions I don’t see less than 100% as an option, but for something like weight loss I guess 75% is fine.
    I would also like to see extensive research on this topic.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

as a side note to this i recently made some buckwheat salad and steamed it for about a minute. i pretty much fell asleep right after, and felt really groggy the next day. so i really feel cooked food, even lightly steamed whole vegan food, when i have it. maybe it depends on your body?

personally i think we can do without grains altogether. replace with flax seed.

• As shown in all studies the body produces Lymphocytes (white blood cells) to attack ALL cooked foods in the Blood stream that enter the body thru the Digestive system.
    Cooking kills the Enzymes!!
    It may sound crazy but experiment on yourself, try going 100% Raw, then eat cooked Foods and feel the effects.
    Why trust some Scientist with his own PAID agenda!

You must balance RAW Greens, Fats, Sea Minerals and Fruits each day.

Knowledge is Power!!

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Stylist chic I really agree with you. I eliminated grains from my diet last feb. and have seen a real difference in how I feel. I tried eating some miso soup the other day ( South River Brand made with brown rice ) and felt like garbage the next day. Once in a while I lightly steam vegetables with no side effects but anything else cooked and I become immediately bloated, gassy and miserable.

I used to think flax was not so good for me until I found that I digest it perfectly well as long as there is no additional nuts/oil in the recipe.

• I’m okay with cooked food, so long as it’s something really simple—i.e. boiled veggies/sprouts, or baked sprouted wheat bread.

But certainly not something processed or cooked in oil (or anything from an animal)—yuk!

• I’ve never had a problem eating cooked pulses / grains (though I avoid wheat).

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

ecvraw: Where can I find about the studies? I would like to read something like that.

btw, the burger pictured on your website looks yummy! The lines make it look like a grilled patty.

• NuttgirlNuttgirl Raw Newbie

I think it depends on the type of cooked food. I personally can eat cooked veggies without any problems but if I eat processed foods like potato chips I feel sick.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I think keeping the cooked food “low-fat vegan” is the best option when eating cooked food.

My body tolerates different foods differently, at different time periods. There was a time when I was 100% Raw for a long while and then I had some cooked vegan food and felt awful. Then, I had a period where I ate 100% Raw again and then ate some cooked vegan and had no problem with it.

My body has gone through many changes since eating Raw (constantly evolving) and so I react differently to different things at different times.

Kristen Suzanne

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Well, these ‘experts’ certainly say some interesting things. Yes, I’m sure those on a 100% raw diet ‘can’ introduce cooked food, but to my mind that would be a retrograde step healthwise. Dr Clements may be a very respected figure, but respected figures have told people all sorts of things over the years…respected figures in health have told us to make sure we get enough meat, dairy for calcium (!), etc etc. And this on ‘Raw’ Summit 2 as well. I even saw a video from Joel Fuhrmann (sp?) that seemed to be saying that for many people the 100% raw diet was not the best thing. And he was on’Raw’ Summit 2 as well. I think people who really want to keep cooked food in their diet can find millions of articles, talks etc from ‘experts’ all over the world that will back that decision. Me – I think it’s great to increase the raw in your diet, whether that’s from 1% to 25%, from 25% to 50%, whatever. The fact that my non-raw husband now eats half his evening meal raw is joy for me, and I would never try to press anything more on him. 75% may be ‘OK’, and of course far better than a a 50% raw diet. But nothing will ever convince me that 75% is somehow BETTER from a health point of view than 100%. None of the research on the effect heat has on food (damaging, destroying (precious things that ‘experts’ probably won’t even discover for thousands of years!), changing, perverting) will ever convince me of that.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Why would I want to? What is the benefit?

After being 100% for so long (more than 2 years, 3 years) I don’t miss cooked food. Whenever I eat something that was cooked or has cooked ingredients, within minutes my nose starts to run and I loose my raw “high”. I feel lucky to have this instant reminder.

The first 38 years of my life, I was always sick. I would start every day blowing my nose continually while getting ready for the day. I also used antacid meds daily. My body was trying to tell me something and I didn’t listen because my doctors and everyone else blamed my body, not my habits and told me I was born that way. Even Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure and undiagnosed hospital stays never woke me up.

As soon as my nose runs these days I am taken back to my first 38 years and reminded what it is like to be a sick person. Thank You! <(talking to my body)

Are they trying to make Raw Food less scary by promising people cooked food after 2 years, like a light at the end of the tunnel? What is the reason for this announcement?

To me, the concept of “Raw” is that raw food is better for me than cooked food. I think most people into raw would agree. Based on that basic concept, Now that I have made the transition, Why would I want any cooked food, when I know raw is better?

“Cooked food… It’s something I can live without!” Chris

my nose immediately runs as well, even if it is cooked vegetables.
    also,the addictiveness of cooked food, makes it hard to eat only a little bit. every time i eat something cooked, the same day or the next i am craving it. its a slippery slope.

i do wish it were more convenient and less expensive to be so healthy.

one thing i wonder, and it was brought up in a previous thread. i wonder if the body has any need for startch, even in small amounts.
    the only thing that has startch in a raw diet that i can think of is sweet potato.

• Stylistchick, several of the raw vegetables I eat are starchy. As you mentioned, sweet potato is one. Also corn, lentils, winter squash and peas. Granted, I don’t eat a lot of these, but they are in my diet – especially winter squash at this time of year.