Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Almond substitutes?

TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I’d like to avoid buying and using almonds until the powers-that-be in the Almond Board get their priorities straight. However, a lot of raw recipes use almonds and they look great! What unheated, (really raw) nuts may I use instead of almonds in the recipes?

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I’ve been using soaked and sometimes sprouted sunflower seeds and I have been amazed at the result. I much prefer then to almonds in cheese, milk and cream. Which is brilliant because they’re so cheap.

I normally use 3/4 sunflower seeds and 1/4 pine nuts instead of almonds or other non raw white nuts. Oh yeah…pine nuts are also a good substitute but as they’re very expensive and rich I always mix them with sunflower seeds.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

That’s great Zoe! I have been looking for a substitute for so much nuts in stuff…

• you can buy plain, raw, organic almonds direct from the people (they’re in maine i think) who do the “living nutz” brand. their almonds aren’t from the US, so they don’t have to be pasteurized!!!11

i really love their products (all raw vegan, some flavors with the exception of honey usage). i recommend the cheezy almonds, if you’re going to order some fun flavored ones while you’re at it!

http://www.livingnutz.com/

• Someone on this site posted a link to really raw almonds in the US at a great price. If you are source, please pardon my lack of proper citiation for your info. You are my hero!

The site says that the ruling applies to middlemen and not directly to farmers. If you buy direct, you can still get “truly” raw.

www.wholesale-almonds.com

• DelphineDelphine Raw Newbie

Hi,
    for now, here is another source of organic “raw”/”living” almonds: www.livingtreecommunity.com Go for it until they last.You are welcome to mentioned that I refereed you, Jesse Schwartz is the President, I think highly of this company quality & life philosophy wise.
    May this be helpful

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I thought imported bulk foods were mostly pasteurized, irradiated or chemically treated as a requirement for importation by the US. Al, have you verified that living nutz are truly raw? I bought a bunch of almonds before the California Almond Board went nuts, but they won’t last forever! I’m going to boycott until the rule is reversed. I’m glad to know that sunflower seeds are a good sub.