Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

cashew substitutes

Unfortunately, I have so many food allergies. My cashew allergy is the one I’m most upset about because it makes most dishes creamy. The raw cheesecake recipes are such a tease!
Does anyone know if there’s a nut that can be substituted for cashews?
P.S. I’m also allergic to peanuts, pistachios, and macadamias.

Comments

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Pine nuts? In my opinion cashews should be avoided anyway, they’re not really raw most of the time and seem like they’re really begging to not be eaten. They make me feel kinda rotten.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

I use macadamias (now my favorite nut!!!) cashew always make me feel awful!

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

I’ll third the pine nuts. They are your best option. Cashews make my throat close up. EEEK.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Pine nut gets a vote from me too…they are so tastey when sweetened with a little date syrup.

• I feel the same way about cashews! When I eat cashews- I feel like vomiting. Any of you feel the same way? I don’t like pine nuts either- lol. I have not tried macadamias though.

• i’ve used pine nuts in place of macadamias to make a nut cheese, but will pine nuts work for cream-type recipes? ie. raw ice cream..

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

I would suggest young coconut meat, when it’s a little too mature- beyond the jelly level, when it’s kinda hard. It’s perfectly creamy when you blend it well. Also, hemp seeds are a great substitute for a lot of creamy nuts.

AngieV
  • ajcajc Raw Newbie

I’m not sure,but I think I have read cashews are a legume not a nut.

• hi ajc, peanuts are legumes, but cashews are nuts.

• I’d really love to try the coconut suggestion but it’s so hard to find any young coconuts around here. They all just come so incredibly hard that all you can do is drink the water. Any ideas where to find young coconuts in north jersey?

• I second the coconut, it works well in most items I want to thicken and make more creamy. If you can, even try soaking the older meat and blending the crap out of it. The younger coconuts are awesome if you can get them. I got lucky, there is a Whole foods in annapolis and there are young coconuts in the ethnic isle at one of the local grocery stores.

• substitute for cashews: pinenuts, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, soaked sunflower seeds and indeed coconut meat

• DelphineDelphine Raw Newbie

Hi Adkhiker & everybody else,

Here is some info. about why our body wisdom say “no” to cashew: www.living-foods.com/articles/rawcashew.html
    Additionally, Gabriel Cousens never recommends them so I asked why & was told that there is the same component as poison oak in them & they increase the fungi in our bodies. So I gladly stay away from these.
    At the Tee Of Life (Gabriel’s Center) they use macadamias instead of cashews in all creamy recipes & it has been my experience that it works wonder. Just make sure the macadamias you buy are white (fresh) and not yellow (rancid).

May this be helpful to you all.
    Wishing you the very best.

ClaireT
  • alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Here’s the Wikipedia definition and description of a cashew, complete with photos. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashew

I bought some cashews to make the eggless egg salad recipe on this site and, while the salad tasted good, the nuts made me nauseated too.

ClaireT
  • poemommpoemomm Raw Newbie

I hate cashews!

Ugh – I tried and tried, but cashew recipes make me nauseous. THen of course, finding out that they’re not actually raw…. :-)

ClaireT
  • CJBunnyCJBunny Raw Newbie

Delphine

Thank you for that link, and this information in particular: "The outer shell (coat) of the seed contains the poison oak allergen urushiol, and may cause dermatitis in hypersensitive people." I finally have an explanation of why my face goes crispy after I eat cashews.

And thanks everyone for all the suggestions for alternatives. I salivate at every photo of raw cheesecakes, click and find they all contain bloody cashews.

ClaireT
  • marshavmarshav Raw Newbie

I need a source for peanut free pine nuts and macadamia nuts. Any ideas? Thanks!

ClaireT