Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Constantly feeling cold...

My husband and I are approx. 85% raw….my husband is constantly complaining about being cold. Because he is dealing with a malignant tumor in his larynx, he is not to eat too much protein or fat. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I heard it could be an iron deficiency. Maybe try eating some foods rich in iron and see if that helps. I’m not to sure what those foods are . . .

• I personally have not had a problem with being cold since starting raw (a whooping two weeks!) but I’ve experienced it in the past with juice fasts. I have been on 2 week long fasts and I always get miserably cold a few days into it. I usually time my fasts for the middle of the summer and it’s impossible to stay cold in Texas in August, but I realize that’s not an option here!

Things that helped me other then standing in the 100F heat:

Take a walk. I know this isn’t always possible – I have a desk job and that would be the worst time when I was cold…and the AC was always on so low! But moving around just a little bit helped me immensely.

Wear a hat. Sounds silly, but I think you lose something like 30% of your body heat through your head. It helps a lot!

There are feet and hand warmer packets that you can buy if it’s just his extremities. They sell them at outdoors places. You can also get a hot water bottle if he is at home most often – better option in my opinion (cheaper and less wasteful).

Eat spicy foods! I have no idea if this is psychosomatic or real, but eating things that are ‘hot’ make you ‘hot’! It’s a temporary relief, but it does work.

I wish I had better advice. I just piled on the clothes and tried to keep active as much as possible. Is your husband underweight? This could be contributing as well. Depending on what his situation allows, you might think about increasing foods that would allow him to gain weight (of course, the best thing for that is fats and sounds like you already have an issue there).

Good luck!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

The best way to keep warm in the winter is to get your circulation going: exercise. Its a known fact that people who exercise more generally feel warmer and are more temperature resistant than those who don’t, because being fit increases your metabolic rate. I would advise a good 30-45 minute session of cardio each day, if you have the time!

• DelphineDelphine Raw Newbie

Many people experience feeling cold at first on their living food journey, then the body reset/rebalance itself so know that this will pass. In the meantime, wearing warmer clothes, adding a bit of cayenne, onion, garlic, Yacon syrup … could be helpful. I also agree with Elizabeth yet in the case of your husband make sure he does not exhaust himself as he needs to “save” his energy to heal, a fast walk every other day might be plenty for him. Up to him to play with these suggestions then decide.
    May this be helpful. Wishing you the very best

• Try Lime & Ginger tea. Ginger is a heating herb and keeps the body warm.

Bring a cup of water to boil, switch off and add sliced ginger (about 1-inch piece). Let it sit for 10 minutes and squeeze a lime (or 1/2 a lime if they are bigger) and drink it warm.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Circulation has been a problem for me, since I spend so much time in a wheelchair. I also had symptoms of hypothyrodism, one of them being cold. I put maca in my smoothies and cayenne pepper on my food. Maca is good for hormone replacement (thyroid) and cayenne pepper stimulates circulation. I have seen improvement in both areas. I do stretching exercises to move the lymph.

• PamPam

Hats do help tremendously, but if he’s indoors and doesn’t want to wear one, a thick muffler around the neck helps, too. Also, I find that if I put on several layers of thin, close-fitting clothes, I am much warmer than one thin layer under, say, a thick sweater.