Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Persimmons

How can you tell when they’re ripe? I’ve never tried them before and am looking forward to trying this new food. Thanks!!

Comments

• Which type of persimmon? Fuyus, the kind that look like orange tomatoes, are ripe anytime; you can eat them hard and crunchy like an apple or soft like, well, a tomato. Hachiyas are a more elongated shape and pointed at the bottom; they aren’t ripe until they’re soft as jelly. Trust me, you don’t wanna touch ‘em before that point, unless you have a taste for bitter chalky substances!

• There are several different types of persimmons and they are different when they are ripe. Right now, I have two Tamopans ripening on my counter. These are the ones with a weird indentation around the middle. Tamopans should be completely mushy – as in almost falling apart (be careful not to squeeze a ripe Tamopan too hard – the skin will burst!). I put one in a little bowl and cut the top off and then just eat the insides out with a spoon. I think that Hachiyas are the same, but I’ve never seen them in stores around here. Any “astringent” persimmon should be really soft.

Then there’s the nonastrigent kind. The only variety of these I’ve seen in the store are Fuyus. Fuyus will be firmer when ripe – they can even be cut for a fruit salad. They do need to be a bit soft. I’ve only had these a few times, so I’m not as familiar with them. Apparently you can just eat them like an apple!

Good luck with this new delicious fruit!

• The enchantress beat me to it!

Isn’t that chalky weird part horrible Just the other day, one of my super squishy persimmons still had a bit of that in it and I wasn’t paying attention and put it in my mouth. Yeck!

• Ok, thanks. I believe this kind is the orange tomato kind, the Fuyus.

• DelphineDelphine Raw Newbie

I looooooooooove the ripe Hachiyas ! : )

• I love Fuyus! I always peel them with a vegetable peeler first. It’s fun because I can get the whole peel off in one giant spiral. It’s like a game every time. Then just eat ‘em up!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I only like persimmons when they are totally squishy and the middle is like syrup.Then they are the absolute best.

Here is a grogeous recipe, no-one believes this is raw and it is so simple, it tastes like the filling from a very posh French style fruit tart:

http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/806-Heavenly

• I love both the hachiyas and fuyus. I eat fuyus like apples. They actually have more fiber per gram than apples and pears. Pears and apples are high in pectin (fiber), but persimmons are even higher. Love them.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I had trouble with the ones that are longer [Hachiyas are a more elongated shape and pointed at the bottom]. Mine were totally soft but even touching them to my mouth, it took all moisture from my lips, tongue and inside of my mouth immediately. I thought I was having an allergic reaction, but then read that this is common with this type of persimmon. I threw them out, there was no joy in eating that type for me.

I do like the ones that are like round and squatty like tomatoes, eating them soft or not, both worked for us, skin on and skin off. Also have had the tiny little round ones totally soft and they were like candy!

• Hachiyas are so annoying. They have to be REALLY ripe or else that astringent taste is still there. I do like the taste and of fuyus more – their skin is the most interesting texture, but they’re usually unbelievably small at stores around here. I’d love to know where I could order a crate of them, too bad I live in New York.

• I LOVE persimmons!!
    No, you don’t understand, they’re an obsession of mine.
    I love the fuyus, but had my first very ripe Hachiya yesterday, and was left speechless. Soooooo tasty!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

fuyus baby, fuyus! the only persimmon worth eating!!!!

• Putting my vote in for the Hachiyas! When they’re really ripe, their taste and texture is almost syrupy!

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I must have tried one that wasn’t all the way ripe…it tasted like pepper or something. Anyone ever see the “Tomacco” episode of the Simpsons? The one where they hybrid a tomato and tobacco plant? Yeah….it tasted like that. Ewww.

• You know, everyone is supposed to just LOVE persimmons and I don’t mind them, but I wonder…do you eat the core part? Do most people enjoy the skin, which I know is good for us?

• I eat everything but the stem/leaves. Some have seeds, those are to tough to chew. I eat the fuyus persimmons just like an apple. I eat tons of them when they are in season and my body loves it. The very high fiber content is awesome. An apple has high fiber, almost 4 gm, pears have 4 gm, and persimnons have 6 gm. The hachiyas like others have said have to get very ripe, very almost mushy otherwise they are too astrigent tasting in the mouth. I like to take the very, overipe mushy hachiyas and blend in the blender till smooth, pour it into a goblet glass and I have a wonderful and pretty persimmon pudding. It needs no water or sweetener and I relish eat spoonful. Enjoy.