Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What inspired you to eat vegan live food?

DelphineDelphine Raw Newbie

What inspired you to eat vegan live food? (inner call or outside influence/inspiration)?

For me, it was an inner call. I am continuously grateful to have followed & honored it.

Wishing you the very best.
Delphine

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Health was my initial calling, but I am more conscious now of the suffering of animals and the destruction of our planet due to factory farming, over-packaging and transportation of products. I came across the raw food movement when researching diets for curing disease and it intrigued me enough to begin the journey. I applied my love for cooking into my new love of raw food. It’s been satisfying on every level.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

Weird story actually…I remember I just started reading about it and then went 100% raw overnight. The weird thing is most people remember very clearly their transition, but I honestly don’t have any memory of the day I actually decided to go 100% raw…or the week surrounding that day.
    LOL!

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

It started with being disgusted with the state of our food then was tempered by the knowledge of my family history of heart desease and cancer and was driven home by the death of a good friend from cancer. I want to live a long healthy, active ad vibrant life!

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

I first became a vegan, and that was for ethical reasons. I was bothered by the cruel conditions in factory farming. Later, I discovered raw foods, and I embraced that for health reasons.

• DelphineDelphine Raw Newbie

My intent in starting this post is for people to realize how We Are One in so many ways which includes in our choice, challenges & wonders on the rawfood path.

Wishing you all the best of the best : )

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I had read many books and attended many lectures given by doctors and nutritionists for many years. And, I became vegetarian after reading Proof Positive by Dr. Neil Nedley in 2002.

Then, someone told me about raw foods… and he explained a lot of the science and biblical verses (and their greek/hebrew translations). I had doubts about the benefits of raw foods so I tried to disprove it by eating his recommended raw diet for 10 days. I was amazed at the results! I stopped after that because there was so much work involved in preparing the foods. Then, when I read Enzyme Nutrition by Dr. Howard Powell in 2005, that is when I began to understand the importance of living foods.

In trying to maintain good health, I tried 95% raw foods for 2 months… but instead, learned that not any raw diet will work. I was not achieving what I wanted with the raw diet. But, it didn’t make sense to me that raw food was not working for me. I wanted to know why… so I read more books and such. I’m not 100% raw or anywhere near it, but I have realized that a raw diet when properly balanced (or food combined) has helped me… and it is just one piece of the puzzle to health. (nutrition, water, exercise, sunshine, rest, air, temperance, and trust in God)

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

My best friend told me she had started about six months prior (we live in different states) and really loved it. I would say I’m a lifelong dieter so I wanted to try it as a “diet”, but I’ve come to realize it is a lifestyle and one that I want to strive to embrace even more fully.

• for me, a good friend in new york came into my apartment, all excited because she’d just read about how amazing the raw diet is…and i did my research. i went raw right away and she never did! she insisted she couldn’t live without cheese and baklava…lol

it was rocky for a while, but it finally took hold and i’ve been grateful ever since. i’d like to say that it was because of the animals/planet that i started, but it was actually out of a desire to live a more ‘valid’ existence. to not be angry/depressed so often. to be happier and healthier, and to have good skin. but, in the end, i got all of those things and now i am really glad that i live in a way that doesn’t harm others. it’s changed me. and now, the food tastes so great, i don’t even want the SAD food anymore! it’s become second-nature. or true-nature. whatever. i wish more people could experience it.

• I was ovo-vegetarian and started to see ‘raw’ recipes on the websites that I visited. After looking into the ‘diet’ I just knew that I needed to add raw food to my lifestyle. It made a lot of sense considering I got my BA in Anthropology…eat what primates eat! I got inspired to change how I clean my home and body and feed and care for my cat.

• I was on a double dose of Prilosec for Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease partially due to a hiatal hernia (the stomach is pushed through the diaphragm, making it difficult for the GE sphincter to function properly). There seemed to be no end to the discomfort and overall misery of the condition when my mom told me that she met someone who got rid of her symptoms with a raw diet. That very day I went raw (I am about 90% currently) and two days later I was off of the Prilosec all together. The overall improvement in my physical well-being is enough to keep me going even if my stomach is cured! My father, who ate a healthy, well-rounded diet and stayed very active died recently from colon cancer so anything I can do to lessen my risk is important also.

• I nearly forgot the fun reason, I am a professionally trained cook that loves new “cooking” challenges! :)

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I have been a vegetarian for ethical and environmental reason for 18 years (vegan for about 2 of those 18 – took me a long time to go completley vegan!) Actually researching veganism is how I came about learning about the raw food diet. I would say the main reason I started doing raw was because how close it was to be the most natural way of living. It seems to be the “meant to be” way of eating for a human. Plus, it seems, for the most part, to be the most easy and convenient way for a human to eat. No packaging, refriging, or stove/oven needed. Just pick off the tree or pull out of the ground and eat! :)

I feel closer to nature when I eat more raw – like I seem more “one” like the wild animals out there – plus I like how it “steps up” my vegan diet to be even more eco-friendly! Wasting less energy cooking and, in some cases, less packaging to throw out or be created.

The health benefits are just sort of an added bonus for me. Plus, it definately has expanded my vegan diet – I have tried all sort of new veggies, fruits, nuts etc that I hadn’t tried before. :)

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

For me, it started out as a hope to find something more natural than medication to help my hypothyroid. Then, the universe kept putting “raw” stuff in front of me…books, TV shows, people, etc. So, I did some research and found out that it was good for hypothyroid. We were already eating a “whole foods” diet (NOTHING processed, no chemicals, etc. everything made from scratch), so it wasn’t much of a jump for me to just switch the recipes. I was already putting in the time in the kitchen. The harder challenge has been getting my family to be more raw. They are doing a great job, but we are still working out small compomises. But, they are 100% better off than what we were eating before…much less to no flesh/meat, and only occasional dairy and eggs. The rest is all raw. I am so proud of them!

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

This is really an interesting thread! The beginning of my raw journey (and Gone Raw) began with a mis-diagnosis of lung cancer for Ray, my now husband. We were both vegetarian at the time and went raw/vegan immediately. After learning of the diagnosis mistake, we kept vegan/raw foods in our lives because we began feeling so much better overall. During that time, raw foods (and the raw food community) were so important to us and such a support that we wanted to give something back. Walah – Gone Raw was born.