Mandolin

Comments

• I have a Benriner (japanese) I bought on ebay. I love it. SO useful! But then again, I do NOT have a food processor…

• Ummm… I’ve sliced my fingers twice. Not too bad, but the blade is really, really sharp. I tend to be sorta clutsy, so it could just be me. The guard thing actually works pretty good, but usually I don’t use it. I am planning to buy one of those food service gloves (like the people who slice meat wear) soon to help save my finger tips. Overall, mandolins make slicing vegetables SO much faster and easier, I think it’s worth it, just use the guard or a glove! By the way, I just used my mandolin earlier today to make onion bread… it smells SO good right now!!

• Oh, another tip… When you use the mandolin, press the vegetable down firmly on both the forward and back stroke, rather than lifting it and re-positioning it each stroke. (I hope that makes sense.) It just seems to work easier like this.

• I never got a mandoline, because my Spiralo (spiral slicer) and KitchenAid food processor seem to do the same things.

However, I thought about a mandoline before getting the spiral slicer & food processor. I was concerned that many of the reviews on amazon.com mentioned people cutting themselves—ouch!, so be careful.

• I’ve had my mandolin for about 5 years now. I LOVE it. I just purchased a food processor about 2 weeks ago and I still use the mandolin more often. I don’t know if it’s because I just haven’t made the switch or what. But when I need thinly sliced veggies, I think the mandolin is the way to go. And I’ve never cut myself with it either!

• JoyceH – I know the recipe you are about to make from Raw Food Real World! It is sooo delicious. I just had some for lunch in fact. I didn’t cut the raviolis square – thought it would just take more time and waste some of the beet! So I used smaller beets and just left them round. The first time I made the recipe, I cut up pistachios for the topping. But since then, when I’ve had leftovers, I haven’t used them. It’s just fine without them as well. I used LOTS of the pepper sauce.

I’ve had that mandolin for so long now, I have no idea what brand it is. I got is as a present from my mom – maybe she remembers. But it is probably something pretty generic since I don’t recall it having a mark with the name on it. I’ll look when I get home tonight!

• JoyceH, I have a MIU mandoline – and I’m going to have to thank my mom again for it – it’s about $100! I like it a lot – but I haven’t tried any others, so I can’t comment on any comparisons.

• ahhhhhhh I have a decent mandolin but i cut my finger so horribly bad once and have been afraid to use it since. O_o

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

There is a seller on ebay who is selling Benriner horizontal spinning slicers for $44.95 NIB, half of the MSRP. They have three available if anyone is interested. This is a buy it now price. The auction/sale ends in 3 days, 14 hours.