Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Food Class

spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

As a gift to my friends, I offered them a raw food class on Saturday, as they are always interested in how I make the food that they enjoy. I am happy to say it was a HUGE success, and I have been encouraged to have them often and charge money for them. What do you all think? For those of you who have done this type of thing as a business, what are the things I have to make sure I do/ don’t do to comply with food handling, etc. I have never worked in the “food business” before. I would love any support, encouragment, and wisdom that you can share. I am just so excited at the possibilities!

Here is the “menu” of what I taught at the class:

Stuffed Mushrooms
Ceasar Salad
Spaghetti Squash pasta w/ marinara
No-Bake ball cookies
- Choco Maca shake w/ goji powder

Comments

• I helped my mom with cooking classes long ago (maybe 20 years!) and we did it in an elementary school with a kitchen that was already “approved”. I’d imagine that if you aren’t “cooking” then you don’t have to use a commercial kitchen. I’m not sure regulations have caught up with the raw food movement!

Sounds like fun. Good luck!

• willmizewillmize Raw Newbie

Congratulations! I’ve read your posts here and your enthusiasm really shines through, that and your kind heart. For a single raw class, with a few dishes similar to yours above, I’ve seen folks charge anywhere from $25 per person to almost $300 per person. Needless to say I think that the $25 is more appropriate, and the $300 ridiculous.
    I wish you the best!

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Thank you for your information Madness and willmize, and for your oh so kind words. I think that $25-$35 seems to be a reasonable price depending on the ingredients used. So, when I do this again I will keep that in mind. For now, I am doing it out of my home, but my kitchen is small, so if I get more people, I will look into a commercial kitchen I guess.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

My first tip would be to make sure your price cover your costs!!

Giving raw food classes is the best thing ever. I have loved every single class we have given over the last year. The people we meet are the most wonderful amazing people from all walks of life. Chris and I must do it just for love, or as a hobby because we don’t make any money, we have only ever covered our costs. Advertising being the biggest cost.We have just put our prices up so that we may make a profit in the future. It’s only right for the time and effort we put into it, this is meant to be a business after all!

We do 9 recipes in 6 hours with 2 presentations, elevensies, and a big meal, and everyone goes home with a DVD, a booklet full of recipes and a HUGE doggy bag. We do our class in our front room, we bring our dining table in and put all the appliances on it, and everyone sits around on our sofas. People come up to join in if they feel like it. It is always very relaxed and a great laugh.
    I make my presentation based on FAQ’s, it works really well, everyone gets the chance to ask whatever they want too. Then Chris does his bit about his own story and what he believes about good health which is always totally inspirational.

Dont get phased or put off about rules and regulations. Well, actually I dont know about in the USA but here the Health and Safety is very straightforward and easy to comply with, it is in no way a barrier or even a hassle, mainly just common sense. The government wants people to start businesses and be successful, and the atitude of the environmental health people is one of support and help, not finger pointing and harshness.

You are going to LOVE giving classes. I am sure you are going to inspire and help many people change their lives, good on you!

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Hi spiritedmama: I agree with Zoe – definitely be sure to cover your costs! I recently took a raw foods class and, after talking to our teacher, learned that they barely covered their costs (let alone the time they put into the creating the class). I believe the cost of the class was in the $25 range, but I would have gladly paid more to know they were benefiting from their sharing as well.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Thanks so much Zoe and Kandace. I think I will put together a few menus and calculate the cost of making each one. That way, I can figure out the best range for cost. I would like to make a little money from this if I am going to dedicate the time, energy, etc. I will keep you all posted on what ends up happening.