Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

The importance of fruit?

Hi all, just a quick (kind of) question. As I’ve gotten more into this new lifestyle, I’ve been analyzing what it is that is important in my diet. For some reason, it’s become very apparent to me that fruits do not make me feel well. Just the idea of fruits makes me feel sticky and sugary. Even low-sugar fruits like apples are not pleasing to eat or think about. The only fruit that I still love is pomegranate. My question is if it would be alright to eat few fruits? Are fruits a necessary part of the raw food diet, or would it be alright to just eat greens and other vegetables, nuts, seeds, and sprouts, but with the occassional pomegranate for fruit?

:)

Comments

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I don’t feel well on fruit either. Gives me blood sugar spikes. I eat apples, pears and occasional citrus. I unfortunately am a nut eater right now. The only time I am successful staying raw is when I eat nuts. If I try to suppress these cravings by eating other stuff I fall of the wagon big time! For now I am going with it and hopefully in time these cravings will fade. I eat a lot of veggies and salad though, and have increased my veggie juice intake. I also sprout so I think my diet is pretty well rounded out without much fruit.

• I’m new to raw (day 19!) so I’m not an expert. I don’t eat many fruits either. I’ve never had a sweet tooth and now fruits taste way too sweet most of the time. I generally use carrot juice to offset the flavor of greens for smoothies, or I’ll add an apple or kiwi. But that’s the only time I eat them really. Every once in awhile I’ll get a desire for sugar and a handful of grapes solves that. I think you’d be ok not eating sweet fruits – but that’s just my uneducated opinion!

• I think its perfectly OK to eat minimal fruit if that is what your body is telling you to do. Just remember to eat lots of greens :o)

• I eat A TONNE of fruit. Fruit for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have a second dinner later at night of a salad usually with a fat such a avocado or real raw tahini. Personally, I cannot go a day wihtout fruit.

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

i think everyone is different because i tend to feel that way about greens. i can’t get enough fruit.

also i think as you get further along on your journey you will see your cravings change dramatcally. for a while all i wanted was olives, and i usually dont eat olives at all.

• DelphineDelphine Raw Newbie

Hi Natasha,
    I would like to suggest you to read Gabriel Cousens’ books, you will find them deeply insightful : )
    May this be helpful.

• Thanks for your replies! So it seems that minimal fruit (but a lot of greens, nuts, etc) will be perfectly fine. Delphine, thanks for the suggestion. I looked him up and he does seem to recommend in several of his books to minimize high-sugar fruits. I’ll see if I can find some of his books! Thank you :)

• DelphineDelphine Raw Newbie

You are quite welcome Natasha : )

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i believe it depends on your level of physical activity and the climate you live in. the places bananas, pineapples, mangoes etc grow are sunny… people are outside a lot, sweating, getting lots of sunshine and doing OUTDOOR activities.

• These are the ony fruits I eat: Avocado, tomato,and lemon.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I eat fruit everyday, in green smoothies and on salads and in dressings as well as in their natural state. I eat lemons frequently for the flavonoids, for alkalization and for stimulating hydrochloric acid. I don’t eat tomatoes often because an ELISA test showed them to be a food sensitivity. I don’t know how I would survive without an avocado once in awhile. We all have different reasoning for why we do things. Your tastes may change over time.

• I go through phases with fruit. For months at a time, I hardly eat any sweet fruit at all but right now I am BIG time into shakes made with either strawberries or blueberries. I find it’s the only thing I want for breakfast these days. This lasts for a few months as well.

I do always eat tomatoes and avocados though but not together with the sweet fruit- of course. I find that sometimes I crave sweet and sometime I crave salty. I feel really great as long as I eat whichever one my body is asking for. I eat a lot of greens and some sprouts and I often eat raw almonds and raw cashews etc.

Inaia

Fruits are cleansing and maybe that’s why you feel sick.

• Well I do eat tomatoes and avocados, they make me feel very good. I think its because they are not sweet. Maybe my body is just really rejecting sugar (even natural sugar) right now. Oh well, like Inaia, I go through phases. It’s just important to listen to the body. At the root of everything, it knows best :)

• Please, don’t eat any fruits – leave them all for me…:) I eat 3 fruit meals a day with mostly seasonal fresh from the market fruit. About 90% of my meals are mono fruit meals, meaning I eat only 1 kind of fruit for the meal, like bananas, grapes, persimmons, melon, dates, figs, ohhh this is torture it’s making me hungry just listing them. Next week I’ll be in Thailand eating all the fresh durian I can get my arms around.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I don’t feel sick, I just get hungry 30 min later and I mean really hungry! and it doesn’t matter how much of the fruit I ate because I’ve tried it both ways. It just doesn’t satisfy by itself,but I think this is just my metabolism. We are all different and it a personal journey to discover what makes your body run the smoothest.

• deborahann, the reason why people don’t feel filled up on fruit (or just a short time after) is because we all have had our stomachs shrink due to the terrible diet we eat…not that I am critisizing your diet in particular but I mean we as the modern people of the world. Most of the food we eat is refined and dehydrated and lacks fiber. That is also the main cause of obesity, we eat concentrated foods like bread, pasta, dehydrated crackers, dehydrated fruit, rice, meat (which contains no fiber at all), superfoods (goji berries, cacao, maca, etc.), salt, etc… all are lacking either water or fiber or both. We need the water and fiber in order to digest the food – so we get thirsty after most of these foods but that is too late, we already ate too many calories and toxins. With fruit, fresh, raw and ripe ones, the water and fiber is already there and we don’t need to drink any water after eating them. After many years of eating the low quality water-free and fiber-free foods our stomach actually shrinks because it adjusts to the new food. It can take years to train your stomach to get back to the original size, but if you persist with eating fruit meals, it will get back to the original size and you will then have no trouble eating enough fruit to stay full for a few hours (or even a day).

• Hi NATATTAT,

I would like to advice you to read book from Dr.Graham 80/10/10 .You will find all answers there how and why is fruit the most important to your diet.All the best Renata

Or, you could go to his website and get some answers.

http://www.foodnsport.com/joomla/content/sectio…

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Personally I am like Nagev. I CANNOT go a day with out fruit, but every body is different. My body grew accustomed to using fruit sugar as fuel, others do better on fats and leafy veggies as fuel. It is crucial that you listen to your body. Sometimes my body tells me when its needs some and leafy greens, but most of the time I crave fruit. If you dont really crave fruit, then feed your body higher amounts of good quality raw fats and leafy vegetables. I will tel you to try to fit in some type of fruit during the day, Vegetables and fats alone will not supply you with enough nutrients. Try eating or drinking fruit in the morning, and eat veggies and fatty fruits the rest of the day. Also remember that not all fruits are sweet. There are many that are bitter, salty, or pungent. Non-sweet fruits include squash, tomatoes, avos, cuke, bell peppers, hot peppers, lemons, limes, etc. Anything that grows on a plant and can be picked without killing the plant is a fruit, so you have quite a lot of options to work with. Hope this helps.

God Bless!
    Vaughn

• humanimal, thanks for bringing up a good point! I guess for myself I was just referring to fruits as the sweet stuff like bananas and berries, but of course the “vegetables” you listed are actually fruit. Tomatoes, avocados, squash, peppers, etc are definitely some of my favorite “vegetables.” So I guess I don’t really have anything to worry about since I am technically eating plenty of fruits and greens. Thanks for reminding me of that :)