Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Well-known long-term 100% raw fooders?

debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Hi everyone
At least two (probably more) of the big-name speakers who were on Raw Summit 2 do not follow a 100% raw diet themselves. Fine – everyone to his own! But I’m interested to know – which ‘big names’ in raw have truly followed a 100% raw diet (or virtually!) for 5-10 years or more? I know some who have been 100% for a couple of years, then experimented with lower percentages, or other diets, eg macrobiotic, then ‘come back’ to 100% (and this in itself has enabled them to empathise with and help others on the journey), but who has been completely raw ‘for the long haul’? In the UK, I know Shazzie has been ‘almost’ 100% for 7-8 years, but help me out with the US? Alissa Cohen?

Comments

• Sergei Boutenko?

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

i don’t know if he’s on the raw summit 2, but storm talifero and family (thegardendiet.com)
    david wolfe i assume…
    juliano,
    gabriel cousens?

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Here are some I believe to be 100%

Victoria Boutenko, Juliano, David Wolfe, Doug Graham, Angela Stokes, Matt Monarch, Sergei Boutenko,Storm and Jinjee and all their kids!

Hmmm that is not may really is it?It depends on what your definintion of 100% is doesn’t it?

Not sure about Alissa Cohen I think she uses non raw ingredients, Josec from this forum said she did a while ago.

And from what I gather from his books Gabriel Cousens does not advocate a 100% raw diet for anyone, he believes 75% is right and bases all his research on that percentage raw, so I don’t really think he would be 100% himself.

Was Anne Wigmore?

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Hi everyone
    Brilliant info so far (and thanks in advance for any further contributions). Really wanted to see what everyone else felt as with some it is a bit of a ‘grey area’ (eg Gabriel Coussens – that had been my feeling as well, Zoe…). Just collecting data really(as guess what I’m thinking about for a New Year’s Resolution..) (Currently about 96.33% recurring…:-) )

• PamPam

When I first met Alissa Cohen 4 years ago, she had been raw for about 12 years, though I believe with some lapses. While she does use some ingredients that are not “certified” raw and would not forego a raw potluck (where you can be assured every ingredient is not totally raw), she is as close to 100% raw as she thinks you can be without stressing over it. She also does not drink alcohol.

• DelphineDelphine Raw Newbie

Gabriel Cousens : )
    treeoflife.com

• DelphineDelphine Raw Newbie

Gabriel is 100% vegan & raw. He simply suggest others to be flexible with their individual needs. I find him very approachable & would like to encourage you to email him directly (re: question). I do & always get insightful answers. : )

• Storm Talifero has been 31+ years raw vegan and is realy lean and muscular also his son Snow who has been raw since before birth and vegan from his 20’s and is a Larg muscular man. But I dont know of any woman who have thrived on this diet long term but I guess we will all find out in a couple of years, righ ladies??

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

fred bisci, i think at least 38 or 40 years.

Hi everyone, again! Thank you for more very interesting information. RawJim – I’ll follow that link. I’m reading ‘Survival into the TwentyFirst Century’ right now, and had googled Dick Gregory, but hadn’t found much, so that’ll be useful. Also, I hadn’t realised Ann Wigmore had died in a fire – how awful.

• Frederic Patenaude is my favorite raw food expert and i think he’s been raw for 5-10 years.

• You all have mentioned many well known Rawfoodist, but one who is overlooked many times over is Dr. Fred Bisci. He is a 40+ year rawfoodist pioneer. He came into my restaurant many times, the man is amazing. He is featured in many Rawfood books, one is Matthew Monarch, Raw Spirit.
    He is very approachable, he has/had a practice in Staten Island, NY. He may have retired, but he loves to talk rawfoods.

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Norman Walker is mentioned alot in Matt Monarch’s books also and he lived to 112 to 118 (some controversy there.

• Zoe – You mention Juliano, but he uses plenty of non-Raw stuff: Nama Shoyu by the cupful, wine, cashews, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, nori and such. I don’t know what the standard is for this thread, but I think those things are on the Zoe/Chris non-Raw list.

At the same time, mad props to him for being at least Mostly Raw for a long time, and for spreading the word.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Rediscoverrawfood – I am so sorry, I forgot Juliano used those things, strike him off 100% list!

But I know he doesn’t use maple syrup any more. He has changed his diet a lot from when he wrote his book… from what I remember he does not eat hybridised fruit either anymore, not even oranges, bananas and dates.

I always think of him as 100% raw, I guess I shouldn’t. I don’t have his recipe book, I have only ever glanced at it in passing. And giggled at the photos in it alot more than check out his ingredients!!

RawJim, I’m only about one-third through, but finding it an interesting read (although we have to bear in mind it was written 30 or so years ago). Was just about to have a long hot bath (VERY cold here right now!) and read a bit more. For those who haven’t read it, it covers a multitude of things, ie not just diet, but yoga, women’s health, haircutting, iridology, colour healing, thoughts on war, reproduces accounts from fruitarians, fasters, etc, all interspersed with quotes from ancient writings, photographs. As I read it, I find some ideas a bit whacky, but thought-provoking…in short though glad I bought the book as I’m constantly coming across things I didn’t know and/or hadn’t tried.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Shazzi, Rhio, Cheri Soria, Victoria Boutenko, Karen Knowler, Ani Phyo, Richard Blackman, Matt Monarch. Herbert Shelton, the father of Natural Hygiene. Mathew Grace, overcame MS with a raw diet (among other things), Brenda Cobb (overcame cervical cancer eating raw food). T.C. Fry ate raw for many years and died from complications due to B-12 deficiency.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

wow that sounds like a great read Debbie I think I’ll get a copy of it. Thanks for posting about it.

• Norman Walker was raw for decades. He lived 118 years. I have his legacy booklet with birthdate and deceased date. His 7 books are the BEST! #1 book is Become Younger and #2 is Fresh Vegetable and Fruit Juices, it’s the best juicing book.

• Just to make this clear once and for all, Norman Walker died at 99 years of age. I don’t know why so many people claim he lived to 118 or some other number. Here is a picture of his grave stone: http://arizonagravestones.org/view.php?id=33655

• Hmm, I had also heard 112-118. I wonder how that rumor got started? 99 is still a very long healthy life, it looks like his wife lived a long life as well.

• Didn’t Wolfe say that he tries some non-raw food when he is traveling but is always vegan?
    And speaking of the Raw Summit…...and going a bit off topic, sorry,was anyone else offended by Debbie Merrill’s hour? I feel that she dismissed her own drug and alcohol use as something that everyone else was doing too. Why not take ownership of her own choices, just as she is with healthy food choices. Just a thought…

• Eh…TC Fry did not die of complications from a B12 deficiency, he was a cheater and ate macaroni and cheese, canned food, and ice cream, to name a few. I think a lot of raw “gurus” don’t practice what they preach…

• I do not know if what you said about TC Fry is really true or a hoax (nobody knows what he ate but himself and he is gone) but he was expected to live for a very short time when he was 45 years old and due to changing his diet and lifestyle he managed to make it to 70 years old. He died of an embolism that traveled to his lungs. There are many causes of an embolism.

• I just ordered a couple books by carol alt (think she’s a former model or actress), I have allisa cohen’s book and dvd, but i wanted to try other things as well. I’m also signed up for a raw food preparation class in miami. I’m extremely new so I really don’t know what to do! :-)

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Well. This makes me feel a whole lot more human!

• LucyLucy Raw Newbie

Tonya Zavasta is 100% raw for 10 years.I went to her lecture in Florida and I really liked her.I have her books and beauty creams and mask and I am enjoying a lot.Evrything that she says is very much true in my oppinion.She is one of my favorit raw fooder.
    http://www.beautifulonraw.com/