Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Is raw expensive?

Is raw expensive?

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Less expensive unless I eat lots of exotic fruits and vegetables, nuts or order “superfoods” online. Less expensive because I never eat at fast food joints anymore, I don’t buy meat or dairy products and I don’t buy soft drinks, chips or other junk food. I can eat fewer meals because the food is more nutrient dense than the food that I was SADly eating. I also have less waste, as I use only the food that I’m going to eat at a meal and I don’t have left-overs that sit in the fridge until they finally get tossed.

• For me, it’s more expensive by far. However, I still am not at the point where I prepare most of my food. Slowly this will come. In the meantime, when I’m really flush, I’ll spend about $20 a day on smoothies, salads, raw pizzas, etc. (Right now I’m staring at a bag of “Cocoa Crispies” made by www.oneluckyduck.com that cost $7.50. Whew!)

Now though, I find myself in a situation where I am determined to be raw regardless of my pocketbook. If you plan well and plan ahead, you can really plan out your whole week and just buy your ingredients during your weekly shop.

The best thing about eating raw is that you eat less overall. The food is more potent or something. The downside is that you can’t really “store” food so, at least for me, something always ends up getting thrown out.

But that’s ok b/c my palette is so sensitive that I can’t stand the thought of eating anything that has been around more than a few days.

• You know, for me, it’s less expensive however I have the luxury of being able to prepare my own foods. Although now that I think about it, it doesn’t require much to make your own foods. The beauty of raw food is it’s raw, it’s closest to it’s most natural form. The expense and time becomes obvious when, and this is just my opinion, when we try to turn raw food into what looks and tastes like what we are used to in cooked items. Not that I am at all against this, but when I find myself with very little time I throw together some of my best, easiest and most delicious raw meals that resemble nothing cooked. Normally, I have juice in the morning, a spinach or green smoothie for a snack, veggies to munch on, fruit when I need something a bit sweet and nuts for crunch. This is the first time in my life where I have learned to eat to live while living to eat instead of just living to eat and lusting after food. I agree with 123 in that, I eat less, waste less and besides the splurge on the exotics or something new, save more in the end than prior.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I changed my shopping habits and started going to indoor and outdoor markets, Asian and Indian shops and wholesale markets instead of supermarkets. Supermarlets are such a rip off, they really are. I always get far greater quality food from independent shops and much much cheaper.

A dehydrator makes it cheaper, it doesn’t work for some people who like all fresh food, but if you’re into dehydrated food it will save a fortune – bread is so cheap and filling to make. And drying out leftovers saves money. And using left overs and pulp to make bread and crackers is a great way to experiment and save cash at the same time.

I still spend more than I did when I was cooked, but it is worth every penny. I used to live off potatoes and coffee, very cheap and yukky. Anyway, I earn more money now because I am more on the ball and better at my job because I feel so much better, so it all evens out.

• It WAS less expensive when i stuck to regular produce. Now when I see a conventionally grown pepper all I can think about is how nutrient-void it is, how much pesticides it must contain, and what the heck they covered it with (bees-wax? veggie based? I don’t know!) So yeah, I buy organic now and its pricey. BUT you can always lower the price by looking for co-ops, grow your own veggies, not buying “exotic” foods, and cutting down on nuts/seeds.

• It costs nearly the same for me. I haven’t changed my buying habits hardly at all. I used to buy some raw cheeses at the farmers market but instead, now I buy more nuts. I bet it evens out. I used to buy wheat berries to grind to make my own bread, but now I buy them to sprout. I used to buy kale and collards to cook but now I buy them to make smoothies.

The only food sources that have changed for me are eggs and dairy and both of those were (mostly) provided by my or my neighbors animals. So the things I get from the store are practically identical as before.

But I am definitely saving money on beer. My boyfriend has decided that he’ll drink for me though, so the household budget is staying about the same!

• It flucuates for me. If I prepare and make nice dinners everday my bill goes to about 200 dollars a week. But as of right now since I eat a lot of bananas and just normal foods without a lot of preparing time Im at about 150 a week. When I was vegan I was coming in at 100 a week.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Yes it’s been expensive for me. I buy organic produce, my husband loves tahini and the raw kind is expensive, we need a lot larger quantities of fruit and greens to get enough calories. It is cold here so we’ve been eating a lot more fats as well to maintain our weight (being outside just steals all that energy). Also, I bought a juicer and dehydrator which were pretty pricey investments but they make things a lot easier. So I do admit, it’s been pretty rough on the bank account, especially since we’re young and have to work very hard to make what little money we have, but I do feel it’s worth it.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I find myself putting in more time, rather than money, with raw foods (gardening, farmers’ markets and dehydrating, etc).

Similar to this topic, folks posted here in how much do you spend a week. And, if one is struggling with a balooning grogery bill, perhaps check out ideas for when you are lacking funds.

• teadeteade Raw Newbie

Mine also seems about the same.
    Right now, I just kind of started so I know I am eating more because everything tastes soooo awesome.
    But once I even out, I probably won’t be eating as much.
    I always bought a lot of veggies and fruit..
    but nuts are expensive… but if you think about it, its just about the same as bread, meat, and cheese..
    Its also just me, and not a family, so that helps.
    I bought a 4 tray excalibur dehydrator which is awesome for breads.
    But my food processor and whatever else comes from either flea markets or thrift stores.

• Its really exactly the same. Regardless of diet, there are people who spend $5 a day and those who spend $50 a day. I know many of each. There are those that spend 4 hours a day preparing food and those that spend 15 minutes. Spending more time and money doesn’t have anything to do with healthier either, just taste and sometimes convenience. Personally, I do the $5 / day and 15 min diet. There is little variety but i like it. Its wheatgrass 3x a day, avocados, sprouts and greens. They keep tasting better all the time and i love it! I help other people with the fancy stuff and its fun but they need it for emotional reasons only.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

No, living the Raw lifestyle does not have to be expensive. In the beginning stages, it can seem expensive, but in the long run it is not. I like to tell clients to keep the following in mind:

1. When you are new to Raw, you’re trying a lot of new recipes and you typically don

• not expensive .expensive only when i try to mix with cooked foods or when i am juice feasting .and this other time when i did a master cleanse,kristen i like you reply

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I agree with Kristensraw – Diabetes, cancer & heart disease are expensive – raw food is cheap!