Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Zest

pearjoypearjoy Raw Newbie

Howdy everyone!
What are your favourite raw foods; the ones that make you feel your best?

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

At the moment it is Spinach, I’ve been eating it on its own, and I have been totally blown away about how good it is just on its own in large quantities. And I feel so calm eating it, like I imagine a cow feels when she chews cud lazily in a field.

• pearjoypearjoy Raw Newbie

Zoe…as we speak I’m drinking a green shake made of 1/6 of a cucumber and the rest organic baby spinach. Spinach makes me feel wicked too. Italian parsely greens are a close second, but they aren’t as heavenly when blended…ahhh let me have another sip!!
    Spinach, I’m just a jeepster for your love

• zoe: wow, that’s amazing that you feel calm when eating spinach too! i had a moment once eating it where i felt like i was a gorilla, lying in the shade in the branches of a tree, just slowly munching away in the breeze. so funny the synchronicity.

pearjoy: yeah, parsely doesn’t blend well. i think it’s too fibrous.

the raw food that makes me feel the best is durian. besides providing an absolutely holy eating experience, it has some chemical that actually produces euphoria (or so i read). but it must be true….

• Does anyone else eat their salads out of a giant mixing bowl? You always feel so perfectly full but light afterwards.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

I do LionMouse! I love putting into the salad all sorts of things (I call them kitchen sink salads). I have been using a metal bowl and have been thinking to switch to glass and getting rid of all metal bowls. I love those old fashion clear class bowls. I like the space in the bowl to toss everything really well. I also like my salad stuff either shredded or chopped into really small pieces. omshanti calls it a “confetti” salad. That works for me. :-)

• Totally agree with you LionMouse! I love those big salads out of the mixing bowls!!! :0)

• I LOVE spinach smoothies. It has turned into my comfort food.

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I totally heart baby spinach :) and huge kitchen sink salads!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

I LOVE big salads. correction: HUGE salads. Mine have cucumber, tomato, sprouts, bell pepper, avocado, and are usually dressed lightly with some lemon juice and celtic salt, or some other fancier dressing.
    I also love young thai coconuts, and green smoothies are a staple in my diet, I have at least a quart of green smoothie per day.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I make fruit or green smoothies everyday. I also eat a variety of salads, sometimes using a small part of my morning smoothie mixed with other ingredients for dressing, but my favorite topping is ground pumpkin seeds with sea salt. I usually like everything that I eat. It’s hard to go wrong with produce. Very rarely do I make breads and crackers or desserts. I like reading the recipes for them though!

• Right now I love clementines (I eat like 4 in one sitting) and persimmons. I also love big salad. Chopped up romaine, carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, and almonds. I make a raw tahini dressing with olive oil, acv, lemon, a little garlic, fresh herbs, & sesame seeds. It’s so good it tastes like goddess.

• pearjoypearjoy Raw Newbie

Yes!! I love reading all the wonderful replies…so much raw food love :)
    green smoothies would have to be my fav…I made one with organic spinach, romaine hearts and a wee bit of pineapple today…amazing! Tasted like pineapple cream! Something about greens…so soothing to the senses; really is like blood to me. Pukalele, I haven’t tried durian, but I’ve been reading everything I can about durian for the last 6 months (not to mention watching all the durian 1st timers on youtube.com). Mango inspired my quest for durian (he moved for love of it)! Sadly, there are none where I live. I asked for a durian for Christmas though crosses fingers...what a holiday feast that would be!

• Spinich calms because it is high in Magnesium.

• My all time favorite raw food is salad, a jumble of freshly picked greens, some wild, from my garden. Right now in the cold, dark, rainy time, I have resorted to baby spinach, purple cabbage, and kale topped with ground cauliflower and broccoli, a few raisins and a dressing made from sweet potato hummus thinned with apple cider vinegar.
    I have truly enjoyed breakfasts of grapefruit topped with a tablespoon of hemp seed and a generous sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
    Oh, and green smoothies, too. I love the variety of flavors depending on what’s in the refrigerator.

• MopokeMopoke Raw Newbie

When I first started drinking young coconuts I would go into a food frenzy. They still make my mouth water.
    Durians – only tried one and it didn’t really do it for me but the night I started it I slept really well and by afternoon of the next day I was calling it ‘my durian’ instead of ‘the durian’.
    Green smoothies…. I can’t believe it took me this long to trust all the rave reviews and try one!
    Salad – my husband says I need truckloads (maybe not so much now the green smoothies are happening)...
    Golden flax oil and a tad of maple syrup served over the inner rind from a young coconut and chunks of perfect mango..
    Anything fresh and good. Sometimes when I sit down to a meal that I know is right for me I find myself PURRING…lol Can’t believe those “mmm mmm mmm” noises are so involuntary.

• For my first two months of being raw, I could not eat enough raw almonds. I’m not sure why, but eating about four or five of them would kill my cravings for something unhealthy. I cannot imagine how many raw almonds I ate those months… many many pounds.

My two top foods are dates (medjool) and any fruit smoothie with parsley. I know some people say that it doesn’t blend well, but I haven’t had that problem in my Vitamix. I add a bunch of different berries, one orange, and half a bunch of parsley. It is so fresh that my mouth feels like I just came from the dentist.

About Durian, I haven’t found it anywhere. Anyone know a good online source?

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

favorites-

green smoothies—with copious amounts of lacinato kale and spinach.

coconut water—if only i had my own tree… alas, i make it a rare treat.

fresh romaine cup—small to medium sized inner leaves of a crisp lettuce, arranged front facing in a fancy cup.

fresh fennel sliced on the mandoline

an avocado and mandoline-sliced root veggie plate.

clementines, grapefruit and cora cora oranges (at this present time of year)

• After 3 months of being raw I tried baby sunflower greens for the first time last week. I bought some from a lady at a raw food potluck and went home and proceeded to eat them for lunch and dinner for three days. I added some sprouts that I sprout myself to each salad. They are alfalfa, broccolli, radish, clover, mung beans, green lentils, and garbanzos- not all, of course in every salad, just maybe 3 different ones in each salad. I also added soaked pumpkin seeds. Then I made a great Asian dressing from Natalia Rose’s Raw Food Detox book. I absolutely crave these salads! I drove across town to meet the lady again for more greens because I couldn’t bear to run out. I have ordered supplies now to grow my own! This is from someone who wouldn’t eat a vegetable 3 or 4 years ago. I used to eat pretty much nothing but meat, dairy & bread back then. I think knowing how good for me these things are makes it that much sweeter!

• Avacado and lovely light (but satisfying) salads.
    I snack on fruit all the time and it’s so wonderful!!! Usually I eat fruit till noon, so good and so energizing!