Raw in Missouri - first post

Hello everyone,

I’ve just discovered this website in my current pursuit of learning as much as I can about the living foods lifestyle. So far, I’ve read a few books and several articles on the Internet – some of them so dogmatic it turns me off until I remember that I dictate what goes into my mouth and can make my own choices based on what’s healthy for my body.

I’ve only eaten raw for one week, generally a green smoothie in the morning, a large salad for lunch, and because the salad is so big, I usually finish it for dinner. I have found that I tend to “graze” well into the evening, so that is something I need to watch. Nuts are a weakness for me, so I also need to learn control in that department.

I feel very, very good. I’m not overweight, but I would like to lose a little weight. Mostly I just want to look leaner. I’m 41 and am also seeking the anti-aging benefits I have read about. If you feel this good, why not stick around for a long, long time, right?

Prior to going raw, I ate a lot of raw food (I’m a huge fan of fruit and salads), but I did eat lean protein, mainly fish and poultry. This was supposed to be the way to a lean physique. I can already tell that going raw is a better way.

In my 20’s I was vegan for four years and had amazing energy and vitality. I lived in Phoenix then, and eating vegan seemed really easy there.

Anyway, that’s me in a nutshell. My friend and I are both exploring the living foods lifestyle and are both enjoying green smoothies – even her dog begs for some! If there are any raw fooders in St. Louis, Missouri, I sure would like to hear from you. I am searching for raw food classes or potlucks or anything.

My one last comment would be to say that my husband returns from Iraq in March ‘08. He is very supportive of me and always sees me eating fruit and salad, so I’m wondering if he will even notice my new way of eating. He may not notice there’s no tuna or chicken strips in my salad. I really cannot predict if he will want to try going raw himself, but I don’t mind continuing to cook for him. He’s amazingly easy to please and loves salad himself. He might become one of those 75% raw eaters or something.

Sorry so long,
Michele

Comments

• Hello Michele (and everyone else).

Michele is the friend who turned me on to the idea of going raw. She inspires me daily with praise and recommendations of websites (like this one) and books to read. We both devoured ‘Green For Life’ in a few hours and are trying green smoothies daily. I even got my boyfriend Chad to drink one – and he liked it!

Since adding the smoothies to my day I have noticed that my skin is clearing up and I am not as short of breath. I don’t know what that has to do with anything but I will take it!.

My puppy Jack Jack comes running when he hears the Magic Bullet whipping up another smoothie. He has a special bowl that he drinks his smoothie from and woe to me if I do not fill it immediately.

I look forward to ‘meeting’ you all and reading your great tips!

Jennifer

• Hello, fellow Missourians! I am from Jefferson City and have just gone raw on Jan 1. I really like it so far. I found it a couple weeks ago when I was searching for a healthier diet…Not just to lose weight, but for overall health. I have a 12 year old son who’s not as fond of it, but hopefully I’ll be able to find some recipes that he’ll enjoy, too. Of course, I’ll continue to cook for him!

I just wanted to say hi, and if you all find any raw restaurants in Missouri, let me know! So far I haven’t found even one.

Nice to meet you!

Angela