Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Introducing ME!

Hey everyone! My name is Lauren and I’m 23 years old. I am a law student and the combined stress and lack of time has lead me to gain a lot of weight that I’m looking to shed. I have been researching eating raw for a while and I think this is the approach I want to take. I have been eating nothing but crap lately, which in turn makes me feel like crap. I’ve been a vegetarian off and on throughout my life, and I feel like it’s time to stop eating meat again (even though I don’t eat that much of it to begin with). I do have a couple questions though, so any imput is appreciated!

1. Can I do this based on extensive internet research, or should I definitely buy a book to gain the proper knowledge? If so, what book to you recommend?

2. What kitchen materials do you all find to be the most essential to eating raw (i.e. juicer, blender, etc.)?

3. Has you lost weight/maintained a healthy weight through eating raw? [I want to eat raw for the health benefits, but I also want to make sure I can lose weight, since I need to do that to be healthy].

Any tips/info that anyone wants to share would be great!

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

There is alot of info on forums like this, and also lots of conflicting info which can be confusing when you are starting out. Reading a book helps to clarify and sort out good and bad info.
    I do think it is good to get a few books.

I like Shazzies “Detox your world” – how to go raw plus a few recipes
    Arlin, Dini and Wolfe “Nature’s first law the raw food diet” – reasons for going raw and motivation.
    Ani Phyo “Ani’s kitchen” – lots of recipes and a little “how to” stuff.

You will need a blender and a food processor. I don’t spend a whole lots of money on mine, some spend

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

Get the book “Green for Life”, on amazon, for like 10 bucks. Most important purchase I ever made!

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Also Dr. Gabriel Cousens’ books Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine and Conscious Eating. These 2 books have extensive physiologic and nutritional info and will steer you in the right direction for your metabolic type. Welcome to the site!

• MopokeMopoke Raw Newbie

Hi Legans I came to raw food through a site called Curezone in a roundabout way – I had done the Master Cleanse a few times (I would watch all the weight come back with a vicious few kilos extra each time) and then got really sick with a mystery illness, and after fasting thought I should liver flush, and also try raw for a few weeks. I had also read online about joanna budwig who cured even cancer using a linseed oil – based diet and got nominated for lots of Nobel prizes. So first there was a transition of mostly raw with cottage cheese and linseed oil bound up together to increase the availabity of the omega 3s ….and also internet exploration into raw food success stories, raw food recipes etc.

Then my system gave a huge sigh of relief; within a few weeks my metabolism kicked in and 12 kilos melted away. But along the way it stopped mattering about losing weight because I was feeling long term good for the first time since I had been a kid. (I’m 51).
    It’s been fascinating to watch how my tastes have altered (I finally succumbed to the concept of ‘green smoothies’ only a few days ago and now I can’t get enough.) I am also finding myself excited to be sitting down to dinner with a large carrot and a plate full of crunchy lettuce with a few grains of salt and a squeeze of lemon.
    That being said making recipes is so EXCITING :). I love preparing raw food.

So far I still haven’t bought a book because there don’t seem to be any here in Perth, Western Oz – it’s been sites and research all the way….. but I will :) if only to say thankyou to those original gurus who pioneered this movement.

PS Initial equipment for the first several months was a Champion juicer I already had and my Bamix. Along the way I discovered my old blender was pretty useful as well and I recently bought a cheap dehydrator which I would love to upgrade.

PPS If you can do this sensibly and stick with it it will be the best thing you ever did! I wish I had started at 23!

• MopokeMopoke Raw Newbie

Zoe your site is so interesting… Your husband looks wonderful . Mine is sick with a classic Western disease but still won’t change his normal eating habits :(... and I am just trying to put together similar background information on my blog (along with making raw recipes discovering blogging is my current favourite activity.) I am also planning to set up a service offering raw food advice to non-raw locals… Did you start your site cold and do you get much local interest?

• Welcome Lauren! I’m fairly new around here, so I’ll give you my beginner’s view.

1. I’ve checked a lot of books out of the library about being raw. If you are in a decent sized city, there should be several there. I’ve also purchased three. I have to admit that they are all conflicting and it’s confusing. I’ve learned to listen to my own body and ask for advice when I need it. See if there’s a raw community where you live (try meetup.com). Don’t hesitate to visit the library though. But I don’t think you need to break the bank on books.

2. After hearing so many people talk about all the kitchen things they bought when going raw, I figured out that I had a pretty well equipped kitchen to begin with! I prepared probably 90% of my meals at home (before going raw) and I have my own garden, so I already had a Vita-mix, juicer, food processor and dehydrator. I use the Vita-mix every day (I make green smoothies – after reading Green for Life). I use the other things maybe once a week. A food procossor makes things sooo much easier on you though, so I would recommend getting one. But the other’s are extra in my opinion. So just like Zoe said, blender and food processor are the must haves.

3. I just completed my third week on the program. After what seemed like an initial weight gain, I’ve actually lost 6 pounds. 2 pounds a week isn’t bad, but I guess I expected more from all the stories I read. I’ve been keeping track of my fat intake for the past week and WOW is it a lot! Almost 50% of my calories come from fat. So I’m working on cutting that down and seeing if that doesn’t speed up the weight loss. Little bits of oil and nuts here and there really add up. I had no idea I was consuming so much.

My main tip would be to set yourself up with a reachable goal. Are you going to attempt 100% raw away? This can be hard for some people, but it’s the way I did it. You can also transition as fast or as slow as you want into the diet. Make it something that you can do. Don’t set yourself up for failure! Another tip – see if one or more of your friends are interested in this too. Having a little support group would be GREAT! I’m forced to watch my boyfriend eat fast food all the time and it drives me nuts!

Good luck on your adventure!