Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Goji Berries ...

Okay I finally bought some Goji Berries yesterday and guess what? I can’t stand them! They remind me of fruitcake (I hated it as a child). Does anyone else not like them? Maybe they’re like fruitcake? Either you love them or hate them?

Comments

• I’m not a big fan of any dried fruit. I wish we could get fresh ones here so that I could see what they ‘really’ taste like!

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

Soak them and put them in a green smoothie Karmyn. You will get the benefits and sweetness, without the taste. Hope this helps.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I bought 5 pounds my first time and didn’t like them either. I heard so many rave reviews about them that I decided to order a lot to save on shipping. I thought that I had wasted a large amount of money. Even Dr. Mehmet Oz recommended them for antioxidants! Since then, they’ve grown on me. I put them in buckwheat granola and in smoothies. They don’t have much taste dry, but they’re better when they’re wet. They also impart a beautiful color when added to banana mylk.

• Thanks for the tips!

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

I hated them at first, too! To my surprise, they really grew on me. When I first tasted them, I thought they tasted really salty and almost meaty. Yuck! But somehow I found myself snacking on a few here and there, and before I knew it, I was kind of craving them. I figure they must be giving my body something it needs, because even now I don’t love them for the taste (though I am inspired to try them wet now!).

Anyway, even if they don’t work out for you at the moment, you might just keep them around and see what happens.

• I love Goji berries but can understand your view. When I make a salad, I usually just use lemon, salt, and olive oil for the dressing. Before I start chopping veggies, I squeeze the juice out of the lemon and let the Goji berries soak while I prep the rest of the food. It only takes a few minutes for them to plump up. In my opinion, once they hydrate in a citrus, they taste like candy!

For fresh berries, you grow them yourself. They thrive in almost all climates and can survive a temperature down to -15 F in the winter time. It does take two years before the plants give fruit. You can buy organic seeds from Ebay for about $5.00 for 100 seeds.

Good luck!

• I finished the bag hoping that they would grow on me but they didn’t. Maybe I would prefer them fresh (I know I like grapes a lot more than I do raisins).

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

mmtol, thanks for that tip! I will try them in citrus AND buy some seeds, had NO idea they would survive around here even with the snow :)

Karmyngirl, I wasn’t crazy about them either, but did soak them (a small amount) and used in a smoothie and it made it taste more like strawberries. The rest of the dried ones I put in my car and when I need something I nibble some realizing that I’m eating something that is good for me. Some call it the “Happy Berry” :)

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

Goji berries are funny things. I didn’t like them at first either. But they grew on me, too.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I am wondering if it’s like greens…some people at first do not like them, but after awhile their bodies crave them, possibly because it is something that helps their bodies stay healthy?

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

These are my favourite goji recipes:
    http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11974
    http://www.rawguru.com/recipe56.html

Royal Cranberry Spread – From Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine
    1C cranberries, softened in a dehydrator for 1h
    1/2C pine nuts
    1 medium apple, diced
    1/2C goji berries, soaked 1h (in orange juice for a sweeter taste)
    1 drop rose or geranium oil (optional)

• I happen to LOVE goji berries! I soak them before I put them (and the soak water) in my smoothie every morning with my Vitamineral Green, pear, banana, maca, ground flax seeds, agave and ice! Delicious!
    Does anyone know an online store with a reasonable price? 123 Where did you buy yours? Was it reasonable? I can get it for about $16 a pound, but I gotta drive about 45 min. to get to that particular health food store!
    Thanks!

• I like them. Before becoming raw, I used to eat cherry jelly beans, and that’s sort of what they remind me of, only a million times better for me! =]

• For some reason, I get a stomachache after I eat them. It took me a while to narrow down the culprit, but I finally figured it out. They also don’t seem to, um, digest completely, if you catch my drift. What’s up with that?

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Hi wanna_B_raw, I get goji berries from www.bulkfoods.com for $43.35 for 5 pounds, free shipping for orders over $75 (easy to do!), and a $4.95 packing charge. They also sell raw nuts and seeds, as well as roasted ones and all sorts of SAD things along with the healthy foods.